Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Driving into Europe, why so hard??
  • aidso
    Free Member

So it would seem I have discovered fire…or water for the first time as this is proving somewhat of a mystery!

Id like to rent a car in Germany and drive into Austria. You need a permit to drive on the Autobahn in Austria which I can buy at any garage…but I need permission from the rental company to take the car from Germany across the border. This is where I am losing the will to live….

Enterprise say you need to ask for permission to take the car and they charge at E5/day. There’s no where to add this on to the booking, long wait on the phone and they haven’t responded to emails. Is this something extra I pay when I pick up the car?

Europcar keep trying to sell me cross border cover for Northern Ireland into the Republic (dafuq?).

Anyone done a similar drive and know wtf I have to do to complete a booking?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just do it and don’t get caught?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

<h3>Cross Border Policy</h3>
    If you intend to drive the rental vehicle cross border to other countries, please contact the rental location before making your booking to verify any cross border restrictions. You can find the contact details for your rental location on the website.

Got the number for the location you want to pick up from?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

When I have picked up a car from Munich airport they ask if you are heading to Austria and add the fee then.

aidso
    Free Member

“When I have picked up a car from Munich airport they ask if you are heading to Austria and add the fee then.

So you booked the rental online and then pay the “difference” at the counter?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yep. Exactly. Paid the difference at pick-up.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Do you have to use enterprise?

Budget have the following under travel restrictions

“You can take the vehicle out of Germany into all European countries free of charge with the following exceptions:

No rentals are permitted into Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Turkey, Greece, Ukraine, Belarus, Bulgaria, Estonia, Iceland, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Moldavia, Romania and Russia.”

andytherocketeer

Europcar Germany T+Cs listed what countries you can/can’t take certain brands of cars in to, and there was no fee.  edit: and the list looked much like that above, but Porsche/Merc only allowed in Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein/Austria (or something like that).

Last time I got one, the guy behind the counter said “Oh you’ve been upgraded free of charge to a 4×4, you should take it to Austria and go skiing”.

aidso
    Free Member

I’m not restricted to Enterprise, just their mileage allowance was better and was considerably cheaper for the rental period (like £50 cheaper than Europcar). In their T&Cs for both it states the countries you’re allowed/not allowed to drive in, just doesn’t make it clear how you get the permission.

Driving in Austria you need things like a Hi Viz Vest and Triangle in the boot. Id rather have all that nonsence sorted when I arrive at the desk than to have them cancel the booking and charge me double :S

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In their T&Cs for both it states the countries you’re allowed/not allowed to drive in, just doesn’t make it clear how you get the permission.

from the FAQs I posted above, get in touch with the lot doing the booking, they will have a phone number on the enterprise site direct to the office/desk/

TheBrick
    Free Member

In the car pickup point at Munich there is a massive pile of snow chains for the staff to pick up for you as required.

Selled
    Free Member

You’re over complicating it, and so is enterprise.

Rent a car from a company that allows you to take the car over the border.  Get a list of what you need in the car in Germany compared to what is needed in Austria. If there’s a difference pick it up at a service station.

I live in Austria and drive regularly to other counties.  I’ve never been stopped and had the hi viz etc checked in any country. I did hear that Croatia wad catching people one summer because you’re supposed to carry a full spare light bulb kit, but that’s all.

ElShalimo

When I have picked up a car from Munich airport they ask if you are heading to Austria and add the fee then.

This. We did it in 2016 & 2017 to go skiing in Zugspitze Arena. We paid something like €10-15 extra when we collected the car. It couldn’t be simpler.

toby1

Alternatively, I find taking the tunnel and driving in France really easy, depends if you are near enough to take your own car with you though. French Peage roads are how driving should be, quick, well maintained and very few trucks.

colp

As above, I always use Budget.

Also, you might not need a vignette depending on where you are going in Austria. I’ve never needed one as we drop off the A8 at Traunstein (still in Germany) then down into Austria through Lofer etc.

ElShalimo

You need a vignette for the motorways in Austria but at €9 for 10 days they cost buttons.

There are some toll roads but not that many and to avoid them it is a very long diversion; e.g. Felbertauerntunnel

andrewh
    Free Member

Goldcar were fine.

Collected from Nice airport

“Where are you going?”

“Finale”

“It’s lively there, enjoy your trip”

Either it really isn’t a problem or he didn’t realise Finale is in a different country. They seemed very relaxed about most stuff though, Would recommend if they have a depot where you are going.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Driving into Europe, why so hard??’ is closed to new replies.