Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Driving in French Alps (in winter) – local requirements
  • gribble
    Free Member

Off to French Alps this winter. I just wanted to check the beef on snow chains and winter tyres. I think there is a brand called autosocks/autosox that does French ‘legal’ snow chain alternatives.

For winter tyres, I have read they are now needed (which previously was not the case). Can anyone confirm if they know better? I read it here as well as a couple of other places: Limited Gribble research

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If you don’t get a reply here then try snowheads.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

That article is dated 2018.

AA still says snow tyres “recommended” while RAC (again dated 2018) winter tyres NOT required ??

Here

??

Good luck

Interested in a definitive answer

jimdubleyou

As I understand it, winter tyres are not required by law in France. I’ve been to France with “all season” tyres and not had any plod involvement.

You do need to carry chains or socks when you go up the hill. There will be signs telling you if you need to put them on or not.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20191115/winter-tyres-and-snow-chains-what-are-the-rules-in-france

grahamt1980

I don’t think they are mandatory, but they may stuff your insurance if anything happens and I would assume the police won’t be on your side if you have an accident

rone

Winter tyres are now Mandatory in the French Alps. From 2019.

Whether there is specific requirements for altitude or resort – no idea.

rone

Last I read… However looks like it’s not been enacted yet.

Should be clearer shouldn’t it?

jimdubleyou

Should be clearer shouldn’t it?

Bit like the breathalizer law… Technically illegal, but there’s no punishment…

pedlad

Not sure on the legal position but I think the benefits of winter tyres/snow socks/ chains are all subtly different:

Snow snocks – get you moving on snow covered roads, not so much ice. Will have limited braking and steering control as just fabric that isn’t mechanically attached to the tyre. So may be compromised when coming down mountain in icy conditions. Will shred quite quickly if driven on exposed tarmac

Chains – get you moving on snow and ice covered roads. Will give braking and cornering control and are best/safest solution to get you up/down mountain in poor conditions. Have to be fitted/removed as soon as there’s a transition snow-tarmac

Winter tyres – softer compound and sipes are beneficial in all conditions under 7C. Give good ability to get moving in snow and to a lesser degree ice. Give good steering and braking control in snow and to a lesser degree ice.

I’m driving to the alps for the third time in 4 years this feb and have winter tyres (which I like for my winter cotswold commute anyway so no greater cost over the life of 2 x sets of tyres) plus some easy to fit chains (snap onto a wheel nut fitting) that are yet to be used. I got those second hand bargain price so whilst some investment needed it doesn’t have to cost a fortune.

Edukator
    Free Member

Still no obligation unless a préfet somewhere has used the new law and imposed Winter tyres. I’ll be driving up to the resort on Summer tyres in a few minutes, it’s so mild there’s no chance of ice or snow on the road.

https://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2019/09/11/non-les-pneus-hiver-ne-seront-pas-obligatoires-le-1er-novembre

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all. So looks like still optional, even if if advisable. Agree it isn’t totally clear though.

Just replaced the front tyres on the car and they are M+S rated. Weirdly they are the same model as the back pair, which aren’t (albeit they are an updated version of the same model – Pirelli Scorpion Verde). I know not as good as a winter tyre, but can’t hurt if I don’t change them change them and get a full set of winter rubber.

I have ordered a pair of snow socks in any event.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Never driven myself, but on a package ski holiday during a particularly snow coach transfer Police were stopping vehicles from continuing up the mountain unless they fitted chains. Those without chains were not allowed to continue regardless of what tyres they had fitted. This was a good 15 years ago now, think we were heading upto Val D’isere or Tignes but memory is a bit vague on the exact location but was France.

rone

We purchase chains on the way up and take them back if we don’t use them.

We’ve changed cars a few times so only owned one set.

scuttler

Not specifically linked to any French legislation but check out the following to understand the difference in the M+S tyre designation and the more suitable 3PMSF symbol
    https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/winter-tyres-don-t-rely-on-the-m-s-mark

robertpb
    Free Member

This is the site I use for any updates on everything travelwise in France.

https://about-france.com/travel.htm

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

It depends on the rules for the road you intend to drive and the actual weather conditions. There is a French roadsign that indicates that chains are mandatory. This is often accompanied by a sign that says “Par temps neige”, which means that you only need chains when there is snow on the road.
    Often it also says “Pneus neige admis”, which means snow tyres are accepted as a substitute. They should be 3PMSF marked with at least 4mm of tread.

Recent Google street view can help.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Driving in French Alps (in winter) – local requirements’ is closed to new replies.