Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • Driving in flip flops
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

You’ve got to be seriously retarded to fail to operate a **** flip-flop competently..

Oh kiss my arse. 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep. Lors of drivers can’t manage to stay in straight line with a couple of pints in them. And don’t get me started on people who can’t even manage to drive while texting. The morons.

bearnecessities

Yunki, you do pick some strange battles to fight!

As far as I understand from here, you don’t even drive?

yunki
    Free Member

I just can’t help it bearnecessities..
    The bollocks that these Muppets spout.. You wonder if some of them have ever been outside on their own

irc

Friend of mine tripped on steps while wearing flip flops and suffered a fatal head injury. Obviously not as skilled as some on this thread.

hora
    Free Member

The first week that I passed my test I decided to reposition the car in the multi story carpark where I lived. The flipflop formed a perfect U/bent back on itself and almost caused me to slam the car into a concrete block 2-3m’s infront.

Never again.

People say ‘what if you have a pebble between your barefoot and the pedal (where did that come from then?!).

Barefoot is best.

Its people in heals or heavy boots that arent in the best control IMO.

parkesie
    Free Member

These muppets? RAC AA IAM Any driving instructor or company you can think of. The whole of Spain?
    Germans and the french?

DickBarton

I think it is illegal to drive in bare feet as well…apparently they have less grip than a shoe on the pedals…

yunki
    Free Member

Ok parksie you genius.. What about all the billions of people in other countries where flip-flops are the preferred footwear?

Get a grip sonny

The fact that hora’s crashed in flip-flops only illustrates my point..

bearnecessities

I’ll be smacked in the gob if that’s true.

That said, if it is illegal, it’ll only make it dirtier.

Edit: Yunki, what’s your point?! Stop being all fighty without a point!

hora
    Free Member

Dickbarton- plastic, leather souled, heels, wellies shoes etc? 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

My point is that only an incompetent person would be able to blame a purely on the fact that they’re not wearing stout footwear

parkesie
    Free Member

Have you ever driven in a country where flip flops are the preferred footwear?

Go to the extreme what do race and rally drivers wear?

bearnecessities

You’re missing the point Yunki. Flip flops increase risk of something going wrong – that’s all there is to it.

parkesie
    Free Member

Im going to apply yunki logic to my point now.
    Ive never had a crash, driven all kinds of car and trucks in many different countries on road off road on track. Never worn flip flops to drive. Coincidence i think not.

DrJ

I’ve yet to see someone who can walk properly in flip flops, let alone drive.

yunki
    Free Member

Race and rally drivers want optimum performance.. I’m just pootling to the shops or doing the school run, driving back from the beach or the pub..

I don’t need optimum performance from a driving shoe..
    flip flops don’t increase the risk.. Idiots increase the risk

only an idiot can fail to operate a pair of flip flops

dudeofdoom

Hmm well don’t do it in Spain or you’ll get a nasty fine.

Personally I don’t think you can drive properly with something than easily slips off your foot …

Pootling about fine until someone does something silly and you need to react quick.

I prefer it when people steering a ton and a half of steel are wearing sensible footwear tbh.

slackalice
    Free Member

I think the UK is the only country in the whole widest world to call them flip-flops.

Thongs, gentlemen please. Thongs, not flip-flops.

Now if you’d like to replace the words and re-read the thread, some people like to drive in thongs, some don’t and some like it barebackfoot…

hora
    Free Member

Im not walking round with thongs on my feet. I’d be arrested.

tenfoot

I was just interested because I did it this afternoon, and I didn’t like the way they move about under my feet.

I managed to circumnavigate the extra traffic around maidstone caused by Operation Stack, without maiming anyone, but think I feel happier wearing trainers or the like.

bigblackshed

parkesie – Member
    Im going to apply yunki logic to my point now.
    Ive never had a crash, driven all kinds of car and trucks in many different countries on road off road on track. I’ve Never worn flip flops to drive since I passed my test. Coincidence i think not. The ability to operate flip-flops has never escaped me.

YMMV of course.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I wear Cool Corporation flip flops which are the most comfy thing I’ve ever worn . Downside is though they are “oversized” for sand wear and are almost SIX INCHES wide . I can press two pedals at once in the car so a definately no no .

parkesie
    Free Member

A driver was wearing flip flops when he crashed into a lollipop lady and pupils on a school crossing in south Wales, a court has heard.
    But under questioning, Robert Bell, 62, said he regularly wore them and that would not have impaired his driving.

“I remember seeing the driver’s eyes were wide open and gripping his hands tight on the steering wheel. It was all happening so fast.

yunki
    Free Member

Someone somewhere crashed a car when their foot slipped off a pedal.. They weren’t wearing flip flops, therefore we shouldn’t drive without flip flops..

this is your logic parksie

nickjb
    Free Member

Some people crash because they are wearing flip flops other people crash despite wearing appropriate footwear. The difference might be a bit subtle for some.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Wearing something that easily slips off your feet to drive is idiotic.
    Anyone defending this idiocy should never be allowed to drive.

parkesie
    Free Member

A foot in a shoe slipping off a pedal is different to a flip flop jamming a throttle open because its come off and got wedged. Flip flops introduce a unnecesary risk that can be avoided by wearing more appropriate foot wear. Im not saying you absolutely will crash because your wearing flip flops just that the risk of you crashing is increased because you drive wearing them.

singlespeedstu

flip flopps?

Pah try driving in Alpinestar MX boots.
    No feeling whatsoever from the sole and about 0.0003 degrees ankle movement. Your right foot pushes the brake and accelerator at the same time and your left foot pushes the clutch and brake at the same time.

It’s fine as long as you keep your helmet on though. 😛

Potdog
    Free Member

Illegal to drive in flip flops over here. Guardia Civil love to dish out the 250€ fines for that one. Easy money!

parkesie
    Free Member

The California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident.

Driving with anything other than a flat shoe can be very dangerous. Flip-flops have killed before. In 2011, three people died when a woman driving a Toyota Highlander lost control of her vehicle after her flip-flop got caught under the accelerator. Wearing flip-flops can raise your risk of a serious crash.

IdleJon

parkesie – Member
    A driver was wearing flip flops when he crashed into a lollipop lady and pupils on a school crossing in south Wales, a court has heard.
    But under questioning, Robert Bell, 62, said he regularly wore them and that would not have impaired his driving.

“I remember seeing the driver’s eyes were wide open and gripping his hands tight on the steering wheel. It was all happening so fast.

I seem to remember it being blamed on a coughing fit or a fainting it, not the flip flops. But don’t let the fact that people almost died stop you from making vacuous connections.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ahem

District Judge Bodfan Jenkins agreed that the defendant had been coughing – but not badly enough that it caused him to pass out.

He said: “You failed to deal with it properly and as a result your foot ended up on the throttle instead of the brake.

“Your misjudgment had horrendous consequences.

“This is a tragic case for all those involved.”

Ok so not blamed entirely on flip flops but not entirely due to coughing.

MoreCashThanDash

Not blamed at all on flip flop, from those quotes?

parkesie
    Free Member

Blamed on flip flops by prosecution quotes which have been attributed to be me being vacuous. And not caring that people were nearly killed.

A video from america including how a flip flop gets stuck towards the end
    Someone was killed
    [video]http://youtu.be/TEDmi_Gx3As[/video]

piemonster

Flip-flops have killed before

Quote if the day right there.

Anyway, it’s a floppy floppy nay from me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bet there are many more crashes caused by blokes gawping at the lovely ladies in their summer notmuchness than there are by flip flops.

TBH if your flip flops fall off your feet while driving then your feet are on the wrong way 8)

falkirk-mark

On holiday in Spain a couple of weeks ago the hotel waiter rode in on a Kawasaki ninja with flipflops, shorts and a full face helmet. 😯

parkesie
    Free Member

Dont google image motorbike flip flop 😯

brooess
    Free Member

Driving in flip flops seems to me to be a typical over-confidence/inability to properly assess risk issue which represents a lot of people’s driving.

On related note, if you’re overweight (therefore can’t move quickly) and wearing flipflops, don’t walk out in front of a car coming down the hill 30+mph… I really thought he has going to get hit, trying to speed-shuffle across as he realised he’d misjudged the speed of the car 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Driving in flip flops’ is closed to new replies.