Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Driving Gloves – Yes or No
  • dannybgoode

So, me and Mrs Danny have been having a raging row ever since I bought some driving gloves (Grand Prix Originals Gulf Racing replicas in case any one cares).

She now wants a divorce on the basis that I’m 37 and not 57 and no sane person would ever be seen dead in driving gloves.

My argument is that I do a lot of driving for my job (Sheffield to Carlise, Liverpool, Blackpool etc regularly) and I find them very comfortable to drive in. Note I don’t don them just to go to the shops.

So, as the title says – Yes or No to the gloves?

Cheers

Danny B

crispo
    Free Member

No

njee20
    Free Member

No

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

No

crikey
    Free Member

No.

Your wife sounds like an eminently sensible woman, and I suspect she is right even when she is wrong.

Gloves should be put away and flowers should be purchased.

legend
    Free Member

No. Unless you’re driving the Queen somewhere then, maybe.

McHamish
    Free Member

No.

I’m not 57 either.

tall_martin

No

alpin
    Free Member

yes.. if you are driving something like this:

dannybgoode

Does an Alfa 147 count?

alpin
    Free Member

actually, an old friend of mine, his dad used to wear driving gloves. even if he was picking us up from the cinema he’d put them on. i ended up buying his old rover 200 (the really old one like this: )

to rag around a field banger style. the thing started coughing and shuddering when it got asked to go over 3000 revs…

chojin
    Free Member

Divorce? Sounds like your wife has you banged to rights.

Bend over and open your wallet nice and wide.

Markie
    Free Member

No.

Does an Alfa 147 count?

No.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I rarely say this, but on this occasion, LOL.

MarkLG
    Free Member

If you’re driving a classic Aston, Jag, or similar (preferably open top), on a jaunt down to the south of France, then possibly yes.
    On a Monday morning on the M62 sat in traffic you’ll look at bit of a tool. 🙂

bruneep

Pics of you wearing the gloves.

zilog6128

OP, earlier today

crikey
    Free Member

Pics of you wearing the gloves being scolded by Mrs bgoode!

Woody
    Free Member

You bought driving gloves? 😯 😆

Please tell us what car you drive?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Only with a helmet.

tron
    Free Member

It really depends on what they look like and the circumstances. If they’re Alan Partridge string back specials or they make you think you’re a racing driver then they’re not OK.

If they’re relatively normal gloves, then fine, so long as one of the following conditions is met:
    Your car has a lot of metal controls that either get red hot or freezing. I know a bloke who drives a Civic type r with a sock on the gearstick for this reason. Gloves would be preferable…
    The heater in your car doesn’t work, or the car doesn’t have a roof.

winston_dog
    Free Member

zilog6128 – beat me to it!

Alan Partridge is what comes to mind when I read things like

Grand Prix Originals Gulf Racing replicas

Driving gloves are just wrong!

Is the OP trolling?

Woody
    Free Member

I know a bloke who drives a Civic type r with a sock on the gearstick for this reason.

Are you sure that’s the reason? 8)

dannybgoode

I won’t show Mrs Danny this thread – it will only cause her to think she’s right.

My argument is that if I’m driving 400 miles in a day I want to be comfortable. You wouldn’t go on a long ride with gloves so why not drive in them?

Cheers

Danny B

RustySpanner

patriotpro
    Free Member

If you are an assassin or Jack the ripper type fella, then gloves are a prerequisite, otherwise you deserve to be divorced. Sorry.

Alphabet

No.

kayak23

Pictured earlier on OP’s parcel shelf….

My argument is that if I’m driving 400 miles in a day I want to be comfortable. You wouldn’t go on a long ride with gloves so why not drive in them?

Because you don’t tend to get rain and rocks and abrasions in a Mondeo… Get a hold of yourself man!

RustySpanner

How does driving a car make your hands uncomfortable?

I’m struggling to undrstand under what circumstances driving a modern car would require gloves. Please enlighten us 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

No. **** me!!

Euro
    Free Member

Driving gloves are really cool. Need one of these in a matching colour though to complete the look

Or don’t grip the wheel so tightly and not be cool.

unklehomered
    Free Member

+1 All the above

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I admire you ! please post a picture of yourself so I can look at you.

McHamish
    Free Member

I won’t show Mrs Danny this thread – it will only cause her to think she’s right.

She is right.

Have you got beaded seat covers too?

nealglover
    Free Member

What is uncomfortable about your hands if you don’t wear them ?

Too hot ? Too cold ?
    Covered in Blisters ?

Also, 400 miles a day.
    Sheffield to Southampton commute for work ?

Hareydan
    Free Member

Surely the correct way to drive is with your right elbow on the window sill, right hand wedged at the joint of door and roof, left index finger resting lightly on the bottom of the steering wheel. I’m struggling to see how the OP gets sore hands?!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Alpin has it

Harey what shape of vehicle do you drive!?

markfu
    Free Member

An overwhelming yes from me – ‘The first look is what you’d wear to drive to Paris; it’s called ”Cruiser Arriviste’ Canary yellow shirt, horizon blue stay-crease action slacks, cap, polaroids, tan string-back driving gloves; it’s a look that says ”I’m in control of my vehicle’

fasthaggis

NO ,unless you get matching Dick Dastardly hat and goggles.
    In which case ,carry on 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

only in a classic sports car

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Driving Gloves – Yes or No’ is closed to new replies.