Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • driving an auto
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

Another neutral and handbrake (actually footbrake on my car) if it’s more than a few seconds.

nickf
    Free Member

One thing that you will notice compared to a manual is that it will eat brakes. My big Honda accord Tourer loved the things every 10 to 12 months. Very relaxing to drive in traffic and with cruise its weird when it changes up itself to resume. I would have another if I was doing a lot of motorway miles. More reliable than a DMF and can handle big torque’s

Really? My 2.7 tonne auto Land Rover redefines the word ‘big’ but hasn’t had pads for 30k miles, nor discs for 50k. Obviously it depends on how you drive – you need to get used to the lack of engine braking and lift off much earlier, otherwise you’re constantly braking.

Alphabet

Like others I just leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake (unless it’s a very long wait). I’m fairly certain I’ve only needed the brake pads replacing once in 106K miles . I doubt I’d ever go back to a manual through choice.

Kryton57

Auto gearbox’s are a fluid principal, so you are actually causing more mechanical wear by changing “gear” if you stop. Leave it in D, you are not putting enough energy through the ‘box to overheat anything.

As for the brakelights issue, I drive a Beemer so as per the standard BMW drivers manual states (the next page over from where it states that indicators are for emergency use only) I sit for hours on the brakes, which with the fogs as well allows me to see everything behind me for miles……

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know why anyone would choose to drive a manual these days, modern auto boxes are fantastic. Sure maybe for the track but on the road? Madness.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Another Merc driver here, I just sit with my foot on the brake. If the lights annoy you then consider this:

“you are behind me because that is where you belong, if you are resentful then consider your own situation and try and make better of yourself, that anger that you are experiencing is just self loathing looking for an easy way out.”

oh and the myth about manual being faster than auto is just that, you can still change manually with an auto and its goes like as a buttered gerbil up a liberal MP

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If bright lights and flashing lights annoy you, being on the road is not for you I’m afraid.

😆
    +1

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Interesting thread and something I’ve often wondered. I’m still none the wiser 😆

As for manual v auto, I’ve got to say I have nothing against autos but I do prefer the involvement of changing gear on the open road. Stuck in traffic, not so much. I s’pose a modern semi-auto like a DSG is the best compromise, although when I’ve test driven them i’ve found them fast but a bit boring (I’m thinking of you Golf GTi).

djglover
    Free Member

On the manual vs auto debate, after 3 days I’m a total convert

br
    Free Member

Dullest cars in the world autos. Hate with a passion.

Can’t wait to get rid of mine.

Must be a crap one then, what is it so we can avoid?

I’ve had auto’s for years (535i now) and can’t understand why anyone would drive a manual. And foot on brake, leave in D for me.

I s’pose a modern semi-auto like a DSG is the best compromise, although when I’ve test driven them i’ve found them fast but a bit boring (I’m thinking of you Golf GTi).

Or along with a diesel engine – press accelerator, count to 2, move…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Or along with a diesel engine – press accelerator, count to 2, move…

😆 too right

Until the last year or so – when I stopped doing such high mileages for work – I was a diesel driver. My Civic had a great turbo if you could find it. Bloomin’ scary at times. Now I’m driving naturally aspirated, free revving petrol cars and I feel in control again. Ace! 😀

(that said I do love an auto in stop start traffic)

surfer
    Free Member

On my Merc, ahem…

Dealer said leave it in drive for stop start driving. Engine cuts out then restarts when footbrake released.

it seems to be much worse if you’re on a bike. It’s up there with badly set up dazzling headlights in terms of annoyance

Must be terrible being dazzled by a bright light 🙄

retro83
    Free Member

would the handbrake hold the car when it’s in D and idling?

hora
    Free Member

Take it out of drive and into neutral. Handbrake on.

I do this for a number of reasons in any car.

I was taught to do this as if you got rear ended you are less likely to be pushed into traffic.

Your rear brake light dazzles someone sat behind you

If you’ve been ‘on it’ – really going for it like a tool. Sitting on your brake pedal can warp discs.

alfabus
    Free Member

I drive my parents’ cars fairly often – they are both autos. I don’t think I have ever used the handbrake in either of them.

Drive for driving, Reverse for reversing and Park for when parked; the pedals do the rest of it.

Dave

samuri
    Free Member

Just checking then. For the people who can’t understand why people would go for a manual…..did you actually find driving a manual difficult?

I mean, I, like most drivers in the UK at least, don’t have to think about driving a manual. I can hold a conversation, look out the window, listen to the radio…all simultanously, while at the same time changing gear in a manual car. It’s that easy.

I refer to my previous point. If changing gear appears to be a complex tax to you, perhaps manouvering a vehicle around the road system is not your bag.

hora
    Free Member

If I commuted say 30miles a day in mixed driving conditions (including traffic jams) I think an auto would be best.

When I’ve driven auto’s though I just find they are either in the wrong gear to what I prefer or kick down at the wrong moment.

Plus its sooooooooo dull driving an auto 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

If changing gear appears to be a complex tax to you, perhaps manouvering a vehicle around the road system is not your bag.

True, but being unable to change gear is not the only reason for having an automatic is it.

I’ve got electric windows (woo hoo), but I can still wind a handle.

surfer
    Free Member

did you actually find driving a manual difficult?

No, dead easy, why ?

I refer to my previous point. If changing gear appears to be a complex tax to you, perhaps manouvering a vehicle around the road system is not your bag.

You sound bitter. Automatic cars have come down a lot in price dont you know, maybe you can afford one now.

br
    Free Member

Take it out of drive and into neutral. Handbrake on.

I do this for a number of reasons in any car.

I was taught to do this as if you got rear ended you are less likely to be pushed into traffic.

Eh, you think a handbrake will work better than your brakes?

Just checking then. For the people who can’t understand why people would go for a manual…..did you actually find driving a manual difficult?

I mean, I, like most drivers in the UK at least, don’t have to think about driving a manual. I can hold a conversation, look out the window, listen to the radio…all simultanously, while at the same time changing gear in a manual car. It’s that easy.

Its got nothing to do with the ‘action’, just we choose not to do it.

And if you believe that you can’t ‘drive’ an auto with ‘gusto’, come with me 🙂 on a fast A road.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I love changing gears, manual all the way on the track car but for driving +400 miles a week I opt for a supercharged auto. To be honest its more than just good its very good and if you choose to manually shift you can. Best of both worlds and you can continue masturbating whilst racing from the traffic lights.

hora
    Free Member

And if you believe that you can’t ‘drive’ an auto with ‘gusto’, come with me on a fast A road.

I’m in! 8)

surfer
    Free Member

Best of both worlds and you can continue masturbating whilst racing from the traffic lights.

A friend of mine has a Fireblade. He said a BMW 640 waas next to him at the lights and when they moved off the car driver give it some stick. He said he had to work his bike quite a lot to sort him out but what concerned him was that the BMW driver still kept hold of his Coffee cup throught the whole thing (I know, not big or clever but quite funny)

iDave
    Free Member

he had to work his bike quite a lot to sort him out

*swoons*

surfer
    Free Member

*swoons*

That’l be the lack of carbs

argoose
    Free Member

FFS put the hand brake on, think of the poor sod stuck behind you having there retinas burned out

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So why neutral and handbrake vs putting it into park? I was told over Xmas, by someone who’s driven auto’s for years, that you should almost never use the handbrake on an auto – you just put it into park. The only time you use the handbrake is if you’re parking on a very steep hill.

No idea if that’s correct or not.

Next time I drive one I might try tying my foot to the seat. Last time I was alway fine down to about 5mph at which point I’d try to drop the clutch, hit the brake hard, and throw everyone against their seatbelts.

hora
    Free Member

FFS put the hand brake on, think of the poor sod stuck behind you having there retinas burned out

😆

On a semi-trolling note…..if an Audi approaching you is dazzling you with his LED/HID’s simply hit high beam and dazzle the fooker back. :mrgreen:

-m-
    Free Member

Regarding brake light dazzle…

Isn’t there some issue whereby they intense brightness of the light can reduce the sensitivity of the following driver’s eye, from which they will take several minutes to recover? This can be a particular problem at night. I think I’d rather be followed by someone who can still see what’s happening in front of them 🙂

On similar lines I recall reading something about people responding better to a change in brake light status than to a steady state – so if you’re sat at the back of a queue of traffic you’re more likely to get run into if you have your brake lights permanently on than if the following driver sees them come on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Keep it in drive – it’s designed that way. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be auto would it?

I also never have a problem with people’s brake lights. I never noticed it at all until a colleage ranted about it to me. And I generally find it hard driving at night due to being dazzled, so I am fairly sensitive to light. Perhaps just not so much at the red end?

Having said that in traffic I tend to use auto-hold since I have it.

As for it being easier to drive an auto – of course it is. I don’t have a problem driving a manual, but out of two things I can do with perfect ease one is easier still.

As for driving fast in one – perfectly possible if it’s decent. If you are a wannabe Jensen Button then you probably won’t like it cos you can’t pretend you’re zooming around a racing track. DSG for the win anyway – that’s what real racing cars actually use isn’t it?

Having said all the above, my next Passat will be manual, for fuel economy reasons. Even the DSG costs some fuel.

tonyg2003

Plus its sooooooooo dull driving an auto

Good job you aren’t in the market for a new Ferrari then. Then don’t make a manual now!

Rio

The Institute of Advanced Motorists says:

At traffic lights.
    Leave in D. If red, stop and apply hand brake.

Just leaving your foot on the brake pedal is not a good idea for several reasons, including the fact that if you’re shunted from behind you’re unlikely to keep your foot there and you’ll go into the car in front, or into oncoming traffic if you’re at the front. The dazzle is also an issue, particularly at night in the wet. I actually usually put it into neutral if I’m likely to be there any length of time, e.g. if the lights have just changed to red; maybe I shouldn’t.

So why neutral and handbrake vs putting it into park?

What’s wrong with the handbrake; why wouldn’t you want to use it? Putting it into park involves going through reverse on most cars, so you’re flashing your reversing lights at the person behind; not a good idea if you want them to understand what you’re doing.

samuri
    Free Member

Its got nothing to do with the ‘action’, just we choose not to do it.

Great. I wasn’t questioning anyone’s choice, I was trying to understand why they were questioning mine.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

by strange coincidence i’d just been driving around in an automatic hire car whilst my manual was in the garage…. twas a bit crap but the sports button was fun on the lanes

but this thread reminded me of when i struck in traffic on the m6 a while back (i’d just bought an iphone and set up a picasa account the same day – hence the iphone photo) and had my eyes burned out after spending 30 minutes in stationary traffic behind this arsehole – in which i’d turned off my engine, but the beamer 5 series driver kept his foot on the brake light all the fricking time!

i moved lane in the end as the traffic congestion continued further up the m6 and let someone else put up with the brakelight each time we stopped

Pembo
    Free Member

Quick question on the DSG box. If you stop and move the selector into N do you have to press the brake pedal before you can move into D?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes I think so, as in most autos, to stop you nudging it into drive. Not sure though – you can switch between D and N whilst moving.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I tend to leave mine in drive or occasionally put it in park at lights. All the autos I’ve driven have a bit of creep so move forward even though your foot is off the gas so I guess by leaving it in drive with your foot on the brake you are using slightly more fuel than if you stick it in neutral or park.

you can still change manually with an auto and its goes like as a buttered gerbil up a liberal MP

Except for using the tiptronic instead of kickdown to drop a cog or two its not worth doing with Merc boxes as they change quite slowly so best to let them do their own thing. The new 8 speed ZF in the BMW 5 series now that’s quite another matter as its a torque convertor box that changes as a fast as a DSG.

flap_jack
    Free Member

20 yr old Merc. Neutral and ‘hand’brake.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Pembo – Member
    Quick question on the DSG box. If you stop and move the selector into N do you have to press the brake pedal before you can move into D?
    POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You have to use the footbrake to put it in D once you’re stationary, but you can move between N and D whilst on the move

M6TTF
    Free Member

Oh and for sheer ease DSG is brilliant, it’s not perfect but it’s pretty damn good

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘driving an auto’ is closed to new replies.