• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by drewd.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Driving After MOT Fail
  • drnosh
    Free Member

Scenic just failed MOT – Drivers side lower ball joint – Play

The current MOT does not actually expire until 25th Feb.

Only a 1 hour 3 bolt job, but need to get the part, and then returned for re-test.

Can I still drive it, if covered by the existing MOT?

Will I die?

jimdubleyou

Can I still drive it, if covered by the existing MOT?

Are you knowingly driving a dangerously unsafe vehicle* or did it just fail the MOT because something needs fixing?

* I’m not sure of the legislative term, but it’s something like that.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

from Gov.uk:

“Failing the MOT
    Your vehicle will fail if the test result lists ‘dangerous’ or ‘major’ problems with your vehicle. You might not be allowed to drive until you fix the problems.

You might also get a list of ‘minor’ or ‘advisory’ problems to monitor or fix in the future.

If your vehicle fails the MOT:

you’ll get a ‘refusal of an MOT test certificate’ from the test centre
    it will be recorded in the MOT database
    You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
    You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT certificate is still valid
    no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
    Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.”

whytetrash

Yep you’re covered by MOT TILL it expires

Drac

If it’s not classed as a dangerous fault then yes, however it may be classed as unroadworthy which if stopped could get you into trouble.

I’m not sure a ball joint would be classed as unroadworthy.

drnosh
    Free Member

Just re-read the fail certificate

Fail
    Repair immediately (major defects).

Bugger.

Better repair it straight way then.

ECP £18.99.

trumpton
    Free Member

just buy the part from ECP ( although the quality may not be the same if cheap ) and get the garage to fit it if you can get there.

Drac

Just re-read the fail certificate

Fail
    Repair immediately (major defects).

Bugger.

So you can drive it.

sobriety
    Free Member

Yup, “major” is not “dangerous” I had this on mine last year (front lower ball joints on both sides and both rear springs, amusingly they had worn/failed in such a way that everything was still equal, so the car drove fine!)

Drove it home through town, fixed it and re-mot-ed it.

tonyplym
    Free Member

I thought that a “fail” under the new system meant that the previous MOT was revoked immediately, so if you drove it away you’d be driving without a valid MOT, which would invalidate insurance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I though driving it home without an mot was allowed? Same as you can drive without and MOT (or tax for that matter) to a pre booked MOT. The only change is that now it’s explicitly listed as dangerous on the certificate whereas before it was illegal to drive it if it had a dangerous faut but the test didn’t actually tell you that.

The order always used to be (to get a Sorn car back on the road), insure it, mot it, tax it (has to be insured to be on the road, and has to be mot’d before you can get tax).

drewd

The previous MOT remains valid, as it just states that the car was road worthy on the day it was tested. The certificate that’s issued is valid for a year, regardless of whether the car fails another MOT before the current one is up.

As has been said though, you’ll be driving the car knowing it is in an unroadworthy state, which is a seperate issue. Your current MOT is still valid and the car will still show as MOT’d on the database, but if you’re involved in an accident it could count against you.

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought that a “fail” under the new system meant that the previous MOT was revoked immediately, so if you drove it away you’d be driving without a valid MOT, which would invalidate insurance.

Lots wrong there. Depending on the fail you can drive it to and from the mot place and to and from places to get it fixed. On the final point it won’t invalidate your insurance. This is often repeated. It may impact on a claim, though.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Even if you do get stopped, they usually give an NFA for your first MOT offence if your insurance and tax are cool.

drnosh
    Free Member

Right its off.

Can’t drive the car now. (I think that you are right, you can drive it to/from MOT station, and to/from repair place, but probably not to from work, Tescos etc).

Pinch bolt took a bit of ‘work’ to get it out.

Replacement part ordered from ECP.

Reassemble tomorrow.

wukfit
    Free Member

It is not legal up to the existing MOT expires, that is wrong
    That mot was to say the car was legal a year ago, not to say the car was legal to drive for a year (consider tyre deg etc.)
    You now have 10 days to fix the fault and have a retest, but in that time you can only drive it to a garage to have work done or the test centre
    The end of those 10 days replace your mot expiry date as well
    As an owner of a classic, prone to failing car, I know these things

Drac

As an owner of a classic, prone to failing car, I know these things

Well staggeringly you’re wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

poly
    Free Member

junglistjut

Even if you do get stopped, they usually give an NFA for your first MOT offence if your insurance and tax are cool.

Given all the possible variables involved – who stops you (traffic v beat bobbies), how you react, why the stopped you, what is wrong with the car, how long it has been out of test, what else is going on in their ear piece that they would either rather attend or are happy to be busy for, local force policy, a rookie trying to prove himself to his mentor, etc and then potentially anyone else further up the chain who comes in contact with it – a seargent, someone at cps etc…

That’s an awful lot of circumstances to align in your favour when there is no official policy of giving out second chances…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If it’s a new complete sub frame (it usually is) it can often help to jack the hub up to get the new one on, spring compressors make it easier!

Some of those after market parts don’t last as long as the OE stuff either. As little as 2 years and you might be doing it again.

CountZero

When I was driving for BCA, as a ‘plater’, we were required to make absolutely certain that a car had a valid MOT before we drove it away, because the insurance we had along with our trade plates specifically did not cover us if the MOT had expired, or even if it was due to expire within a couple of days.

drnosh
    Free Member

Anyway.

Job done, ball joint replaced**, taken back to MOT station, he said ‘Not that I don’t trust you but I have to check’, lifted the front of the car on trolley jack, could see that the part had been replaced, printed pass certificate.

(Tip. Get both front wheels off the ground in order to remove torque tension from anti-roll bar as it makes aligning 2 bolts in suspension arm a lot easier. Luckily I have 2 trolley jacks and lots of axle stands)

drewd

Good work.

I have to admit I don’t enjoy changing ball joints. Most that I’ve done have been on VWs well into their teens, and even when the pinch bolts are removed they require a lot of persuasion from Plus Gas, hammers and heat.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Driving After MOT Fail’ is closed to new replies.