Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Drivetrain upgrade for 2019 Trek X Caliber 7
  • elnevera

Hi!
    I am looking at possible upgrades for my wife’s 2019 Trek X Caliber 7.

The current gearing is a 2×8 Acera setup (11-36 and 22/36). She wants to go 1x like all the people do on the YT videos she’s forced to watch because of me!
    HG currently so we could go for a 1×10 or 1×11 Shimano setup, I was thinking of something like the Deore m4100 or m5100 but she likes the look of the SRAM NX Eagle 12 Speed Mountain Bike Groupset for £210. Would that work? I am unsure about the BB setup. The only info I can find about the current BB is that it is a Sealed cartridge, 73mm.

Would there be extra to buy?

Cheers!

bassmandan

Is it a 2019 or 2020 model? I have just stripped apart a MY20 X-Caliber 8 (bought in 2019) which had a 1×12 SRAM SX Eagle drivetrain. BB was a Truvativ Powerspline thing which I tried to replace once or twice and could never find stock.

I could be persuaded to part with shifter, derailleur, cassette and cranks, or some combination if useful.

tomparkin

If the cranks are NX ones like this:
    https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-nx-1-b1

…then I think the spindle is 30mm v.s. the 24mm for HT2, assuming your current cranks are HT2. So you’d need a new BB as well as the drivetrain.

Alternatively, you could just whack a narrow-wide chainring on your existing cranks, replacing the cassette and rear shifter to suit.

elnevera

@bassmandan

Is it a 2019 or 2020 model? I have just stripped apart a MY20 X-Caliber 8 (bought in 2019) which had a 1×12 SRAM SX Eagle drivetrain. BB was a Truvativ Powerspline thing which I tried to replace once or twice and could never find stock.

I could be persuaded to part with shifter, derailleur, cassette and cranks, or some combination if useful.

It is the 2019 which we bought in Sept 2018. I think the frame was the same for a while though.
    It’s this one 2019 X Cal 7

What freehub does yours have?

elnevera

@tomparkin

If the cranks are NX ones like this:
    https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-nx-1-b1

…then I think the spindle is 30mm v.s. the 24mm for HT2, assuming your current cranks are HT2. So you’d need a new BB as well as the drivetrain.

Alternatively, you could just whack a narrow-wide chainring on your existing cranks, replacing the cassette and rear shifter to suit.

I’m not sure what HT2 means but the current crankset is Shimano Acera FC-MT210. My original plan was the m5100 rear, shifter and cassette as that is a really good 11-51 range. Would love that cassette on my bike but it is a m7000 slx that will not work with the 11-51 apparently.

Anyway, this is the Groupset CRC NX Link so I would need an appropriate BB on top of that kit?

bassmandan

@elnevera my cassette is for a standard HG freehub. Did have a bit of a brain fart and thought you had SRAM crankset. HTII is Shimano’s hollow tech 2 BB. If you moved to SRAM crankset you’d need a new BB. Looks like the crankset on that groupset would need a SRAM DUB BB. I think it’s not uncommon when converting to 1x to retain the existing crankset and fit a narrow-wide chainring to it. Saves needing new crankset + BB.

Can I say BB any more?

elnevera

@bassmandan Thanks for that, so I would need one of there? BB

bassmandan

Yep that looks about right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.