Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Drivetrain Bling for a Serial Upgrader?
  • abingham

I am a serial upgrader, and as such I have a pretty healthy compliment of bling on my main bike (Stooge MK4).

However, I find very little desire to upgrade my SLX/XT drivetrain beyond some Hope jockey wheels. Am I missing something or are drivetrains inherently less sexy than other elements of the bike build?

Other than EEWings cranks (which are unobtainium unfortunately) – what drivetrain bling should I be lusting after?

tenburner

None. New bike

richmtb

Any new 12 Speed Cassette is probably considered bling these days

andrewh
    Free Member

Middleburn cranks and a Chris King bottom bracket?
    Been excellent on my bikes, sensible weight and last forever.
    Is Shimano Yummea (spelling?) still a thing?

tomhoward

CNC Ti jockey wheels?

(He does BBs too)

Losing the cables with AXS gears will help bling it up, not to mention make shifting a joy…

Or some shiny pedals?

Or a shiny chainring?

Sadly, Yumeya died with XTR M970.

BigJohn

I was very impressed with the AXS setup on my mate’s bike that I had 10 minutes on the other week.

chaos

Oilslick chain?

abingham

Middleburn with CK BB is a good shout, I suppose I’m thinking about the acutal gear mechanisms here mostly. I can think of sexy cranksets but I’ve never looked at a rear mech or shifters and gone, corrrr I’d like some of those! Do sexy mechs and shifters exist?!

My snobby lust-list criteria tends to be:

1. Well made and responsibly made, should last a bloody long time
    2. Mechanical and reliable, fixable and maintainable by me or (at a push) my LBS, not reliant on smartphones, Bluetooth etc

poah
    Free Member

other than some shiny bolts I wouldn’t bother.

joebristol

Oil slick or gold chains add bling for not too much cost. Also generally last longer as they’re higher spec chains. Have oil slick xx1 on the Fs and a KMC Ti-N Gold chain on the hardtail. Not sure which looks the best – I like both!

Thinking about it my road bike recently got an 11 speed gold Ti-N KMC chain too – looks sweet on there.

tomhoward

Do sexy mechs and shifters exist?!

Ingrid components?

Zirbel shifters (if using AXS)?

ac282

Chain made of Quick links.

twonks

Not sure if it classes as bling or not but, I love the engineering look and weight (lack of) on the X01 12sp cassette and also the 11 speed Garbaruk with frame colour detail matching large ring.

Both work perfectly and I don’t think I’d call them bling as such, more quality that happens to look good.

Personally I’d class bling as the rainbow coloured cassettes from Alibaba etc as they look funky but performance – who knows?

Ultimately whatever you associate as bling on a bike intended to be used in all sorts of weather and ridden hard off road is probably just a sign of more money than sense. Does make me smile in appreciation for my bikes now I’m an old git though, so meh to that last statement 😉

cookeaa

Is it plain “Bling” or “Niche bling” you’re after? Rarety over function is the only way…

If money were no object I’d go hunting for a (long discontinued) Paul components Rear derailleur, and then an appropriately niche thumbie to operate it with…

It would cost a fortune and be functionally worse than anything produced by SRAM/Shimano in the last decade or so, but people who recognised the parts would immediately know I’d wasted a large sum and that I have impeccable taste…

cakeandcheese

Stevet1
    Free Member
    jonnyrockymountain

Love my XX1 AXS on both my bikes

abingham

cost a fortune and be functionally worse than anything produced by SRAM/Shimano in the last decade

Perfect – sign me up. Didn’t even realise Paul did mechs before?

*Starts searching eBay for Paul mechs*

jkomo

Responsibly made won’t trump not buying something that doesn’t need buying.

big_scot_nanny

I really wish people would stop saying nice things about AXS. Stop it!

malv173
    Free Member

What @tomhoward said. Ingrid components.

https://ingrid.bike/product/rear-derailleur-rd1-m12s/

Droo-oo-ool!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Drivetrain Bling for a Serial Upgrader?’ is closed to new replies.