• This topic has 49 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by a11y.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Drives that excite you.
  • Northwind

Driving north, as soon as I come out of Doune you’ll always see me just smile and relax. It’s like that’s where the holiday and the highlands starts, for me. The whole drive’s good and going past the bridges and up the big sweepy lefthander at Loch Tulla are good too. I’ve done the drive for boring stuff and for work stuff but even then it’s just… possibilities.

bearGrease

@lunge keep going past obergurgl and over the Timmelsjoch. You can ride it in the Otztaler Radmarathon at the end of August. Get your entries in!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Nothing beats the B4391 from Ffestiniog.

Andy_B

Leave Innsbruck along the A12, then turn left at Ötztal Bahnhof.
    That road, up the hills towards Obergurgl. It’s not the prettiest route, but by gosh it’s get the heart going. One day I’ll ride my bike up there too.

That’s lovely, fast enough to have you twitching your arse and concentration at maximum and the local guys are quick. It’s also one of the few Austrian roads that isn’t always a procession. I was going to suggest the contuation into Italy over the Timmelsjoch pass. I did it in the opposite direction, in the last hours of daylight, just as a storm was coming in and had the road to myself.

bearGrease

one of the few Austrian roads that isn’t always a procession

Seen it on changeover day in the ski season?

csb

The road going north up to Dulverton in Exmoor used to be an absolute hoot in the works pool car, wide, clear sight lines and lovely cambered bends.

Ambrose

It’s the destination that makes it.

Edukator
    Free Member

Wrong forum. 😋

Any road covered in verglas, or is that just anxiety?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I don’t feel like I’m on holiday until I’ve seen the massive cock.

+1

Climbing up the elevated section of the motorway from Sallanches to Les Houches and then emerging into the Chamonix valley, hopefully with views to Mt Blance, Brevant, the Dru etc.

Utah State Route 24 takes some beating though.

a11y

A86 Dalwhinnie to Spean Bridge, for many reasons. It marks the end of the A9 procession heading north. There’s the cafe at Laggan Wolftrax. Then the road itself is nicely flowing without driving like a knob – 99% of the time I’m in a loaded up van. Scenery is stunning too. Works well in opposite direction too, escpecially when the view opens out over Loch Laggan on a downward left bend approaching the nature reserve and narrower bit of road.

A87 Invergarry – Kyle of Lochalsh. Similar to above although can be a 40mph procession at times. Returned from Skye along that was last week and a lovely drive apart from the wazzock motorbikers treating it like the mountain route on the IOM.

Smaller scale, B827 road north to Comrie. Nicer option than the main road than goes via Crieff if you’re heading for Comrie Croft. Scenic and usually deserted but its knowing you’re heading for a decent ride at Comrie that really raises the excitement.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.