Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Drivers stopping in the middle of the road
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

This is definitely a Covid thing. Over the last year I’ve noticed that more and more drivers can’t be arsed pulling over onto the kerb. Obvs taxi drivers are the worst offenders but I’ve seen courier vans, takeaway delivery drivers and people who are dropping off mates stopping their vehicles in the middle of the road. And God forbid a driver that gets stuck behind said vehicle should sound their horn. It’s DEFCON 1 immediately; confrontations with threats of violence, Ts, Cs* and Fs all over the place. So is this inconsiderate behaviour a mechanism to incite a ding dang kick-off or just laziness?

I know it’s another symptom of the shit that society is morphing into but I find it very annoying and sad.

*not to confused with terms & conditions

thenorthwind

Yeah, annoying isn’t it. The other day I followed an Amazon delivery driver into my cul de sac (snigger) of 10 houses, right behind him. Rather than pull over slightly into a space, he left his van in the middle of the road, blocking me off from my driveway, and got out to deliver his parcel. He said sorry, but clearly wasn’t otherwise he wouldn’t have left his van there in the first place.

Cougar

This is definitely a Covid thing

Not round here it’s not. It’s been a common occurrence forever, it’s a pathological absence of **** to give about anyone but themselves and minicab drivers are the absolute worst for it. And it properly grips my shit, I got a bit cross just reading your thread title.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I experienced this recently. Two cars going opposite ways just stopped having a chat. Main road into the city. Traffic backed up behind them each way. Not one to unusually use the horn for anything but this just rubbed me up the wrong way. If they want to hold me up just to have a chat then I’m going to lean on my horn so they can’t hear a bloody thing. Didn’t take long.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep. Trying to get out of the cul-de-sac earlier this week. Delivery driver has left a car abandoned in the road. Maybe just enough space for me to get by…if he hadn’t left the driver door wide open!

funkmasterp

Oh how I laughed last week when they closed the road I live on to repaint the double yellow lines. Waste of time, effort, resource and money. Dickheads just park on the pavement or over the lines.

One thing I’ve noticed more of recently is people stopping on blind bends or sharp corners. They put their hazards on though which makes it okay. ****

flyingmonkeycorps

Delivery drivers often stop in the middle of our road, but in fairness it’s a one way street with room for one car and absolutely bugger all parking so I can’t really blame them. Plus I want my gourmet burgers as soon as possible, so I can’t really moan when they do it for other people.

I think it’s a symptom of the unreasonable expectations on delivery drivers tbh. Parking properly might only add a minute per job, but avereged out over twenty drops an hour (or whatever) and it adds up pretty quick.

Having a chat in the middle of the road though? Nah.

136stu
    Free Member

Try driving in Bradford, its the norm.

BenjiM

They put their hazards on though which makes it okay. ****

You mean the “Park Anywhere Lights”?

Happens all the time in our little town, parking on kerbs, double yellows at pinch points to nip to the chippy etc.. I did have to laugh when someone was getting a ticking off from the police for doing this outside the chippy!

mrsheen
    Free Member

In a local leafy Cheshire village I often see busy commuters/vans parking on the double yellow as they urgently refresh with a pasty or cappuccino. I was once blocked in my parking space by a clearly abled gent parking in the adjacent disabled bay so he could withdraw cash. No apologies. Its sadly just the growing population of chancers led by a cabinet of like minded pilocks.

Spud

I’d also add-in drivers who think they’re doing a good deed by stopping in free flowing traffic to let folks out of or across into junctions. No warning. Christ, obey the Highway Code!

jamesoz

We get people blocking the driveway into our yard in a lazy manner. There’s a free carpark over the road. It’s clear it’s a driveway with a dropped curb.
    If I’m trying to access the yard I block them in. They propper get the hump when I make them wait.

Also been blocked in and the sort of person who can’t be arsed to park tend not to lock their car, which is handy for letting off the handbrake and seeing how far it rolls.

But yes the multi drop drivers with more drops than Santa tend not to care but, at least they don’t sit outside leaning on the horn. I react quite badly to that on the rare occasions I work nights.

johndoh
    Free Member

We live in the middle of a building site right now (massive developments going on near our house) and have had a year of blockages. Last week I couldn’t actually get out of the road at all (until I had to drive over the pavement and partially on someone’s lawn) because a large low-loader’s driver had driven up then realised it was closed (despite the signs) so left it there whilst he went to find someone to banksman him out. I was very stressed as I was taking my girls to school and they both had CAT exams to get to. When I got back, he’d found a banksman, they hadn’t managed to do a turn in the road so were reversing it back down the road and on to a roundabout backwards!!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hang on. Pulling onto the pavement is a far greater dick move.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure I’d get steamed up by a driver stopping to do a delivery, or even to drop or pick up a mate.

The bellends around the village at school time parking on bends, junctions, blocking drives, double parking…..them I’d cheerfully put up against the wall. Very tempted to print out and laminate the parking section of the Highway Code and distribute under wipers, see who kicks of at me.

flannol
    Free Member

“I’d also add-in drivers who think they’re doing a good deed by stopping in free flowing traffic”

While this might not be good practice, this cannot be bundled in with the arrogance of stopping in the middle of a carriageway for your own convenience. It’s arguably quite literally the complete opposite in terms of intent of action

johndoh
    Free Member

Hang on. Pulling onto the pavement is a far greater dick move.

I 100% agree – but I had no choice. I had absolutely no other way of getting past and if I had left it and my girls walked to school they would have missed their exams. Ordinarily I never pull on to pavements at any time and I also refused to when I came back and found him reversing down – I just sat and waited for him to manoeuvre out of my way.

In fact it was the first time my daughters (12 years old) have ever heard me use the F Bomb :-O

joshvegas
    Free Member

Johndoh that was an unfortunate cross post.

There is a difference and I think you were quite right to do what you did.

I think there is also highway code that says if its the only way past its fine.

chewkw
    Free Member

This is definitely a Covid thing. Over the last year I’ve noticed that more and more drivers can’t be arsed pulling over onto the kerb. Obvs taxi drivers are the worst offenders but I’ve seen courier vans, takeaway delivery drivers and people who are dropping off mates stopping their vehicles in the middle of the road

I noticed this sort of behaviour just few days ago right at the corner of my flat, normally the road is rather busy but on that particular day not so, a young chap just stopped in the middle the road to drop off the friends etc then started chatting away without a care in the world. Several cars had to apply last minute braking and I was thinking something would happen but luckily nothing happened but the young chap got a few nasty look from other drivers … he just laughed it off.

Kuco

I’ve had a few run in’s with hunt followers that think it’s perfectly alright to stop their big 4×4 in the middle of the road and then look through their binoc’s across the field or drive at 5mph.

johndoh
    Free Member

There is a difference and I think you were quite right to do what you did.

Ahhhhh!

lairdburkart
    Free Member

School time drivers do my nut.
    Stuff like driving on the pavement at me walking on pavement when I go pick kids up.
    Anyway. Traffic wardens turned up this afternoon. They casually sat around the corner then went and did the lot of them. It was beautiful.
    Tough titties you lazy selfish aggressive entitled gammony chebs
    Ooo yes I am on my 3rd beer! Early finish Friday!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I was gonna say I would have done exactly what Johndoh did in that situation .

Slow passing of obstructions that are not going to move any time soon done considerately and slowely is not a dick move.

Comparibly. Parking on pavements is a hanging offence punishable by dragging your pram down the side of the car in question.

Cougar

I think there is also highway code that says if its the only way past its fine.

It’s fine anyway. London has bylaws about wheels on pavements but the rest of the country does not.

You might leg up other laws around obstruction or ‘driving without due care’ or some such, but there is no specific legalese I’m aware of to prevent JD from doing what he did.

darthpunk
    Free Member

There’s a wee nobber pumping some young lassie in the street and when he comes round to visit, whether it be for a minute or two or a couple of hours, he just dumps his car next to the girls mothers car regardless whether there’s space behind, in front or not. Basically double parked on the road as it’s just his personal car park.

He just changed his car from “standard bell-end motor Mk1” to “standard bell-end motor Mk2” so he’s not got much going for him.

I just live in some twisted hope that they might piss off the wrong person one day with their arrogant behaviour

neilthewheel

Someone blocked the road through our village with an articulated lorry the other day. But it’s ok because he also blocked the pavement *

*Try cycling on the pavements in the village and see what comes up on the local facebook winge-page

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh the casual chat in the road has been a thing here for years. Driver to driver, driver to ped and even ped to ped. But I live in a town of brain dead quarter wits so that’s just par for the course.

I’d also add-in drivers who think they’re doing a good deed by stopping in free flowing traffic to let folks out of or across into junctions. No warning. Christ, obey the Highway Code!

Does my head in as well, rules of the road are there to lend predictability, that all goes out the window when people decide to be “nice”. Joined then tried to follow someone off a roundabout yesterday only for them to just decide to let someone cross the road on the exit. I could see the point but theres a crossing just up the road.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Comparibly. Parking on pavements is a hanging offence punishable by dragging your pram down the side of the car in question.

Totally I flick all the wingmirrors when I’m running and look forward to testing pram widths. I hadn’t realised the enforcement had been delayed in Scotland they voted to make it an offence 2 years ago!

joshvegas
    Free Member

London has bylaws about wheels on pavements but the rest of the country does not.

Scotland it is an offence to drive on the pavement. Its also an offence to park on a pavement but its not being enforced yet.

ta11pau1

The general standard of driving is shocking nowadays.

On the drive down a nice B road to drop off my motorbike fork leg for some work this week, so I can sell the bike, I was pondering whether I was doing the right thing.

In the 5 miles of B road, 3 times another car/lorry was 1/4 or more over my side of the road on a bend, or pulling out to pass a lorry turning, causing me to have to take avoiding action. I almost had to stick the car into a hedge to avoid one 7.5 tonne lorry, was inches between me and it.

Yes, yes I am doing the right thing.

MoreCashThanDash

Traffic wardens turned up this afternoon. They casually sat around the corner then went and did the lot of them. It was beautiful.
    Tough titties you lazy selfish aggressive entitled gammony chebs

A post that paints beautiful pictures

martinhutch

There’s a wee nobber pumping some young lassie in the street

And you’re worried about his parking etiquette?

singletrackmind

Bloke stopped his convertible Astra in thr drop off lane at Tesco. The one usef for, you know, dropping people off before you shop.
    Gets out and off he pops shopping.
    Was tempted to deliver a pint of full fat milk into his passenger footwell, i mean.. A convertible Astra!

slowoldman

No warning

What? Not even slowing down or braking?

Drac

This is definitely a Covid thing.

Really?

Shit drivers have been around as long as cars. I have to seem any increase since covid, certainly no increase in ‘parking in the middle of the road’

dannyh
    Free Member

I noticed that delivery drivers have been a lot more punctual (and sometimes inconveniently early) in the recent sunny weather and now pubs are more open.

Anyway, don’t these ‘covid stoppers’ know that the modern Highway Code says that you can stop when and where you like, so long as you put your hazard lights on. I’ve even seen someone reversing up the hard shoulder and hatches to get off the M1 at the junction they had just missed – hazard lights on, so no problem.

dannyh
    Free Member

And whilst we’re at it – has anyone ever seen a BT Openreach van being driven at less than the sound barrier?

Cougar

Someone blocked the road through our village with an articulated lorry the other day. But it’s ok because he also blocked the pavement *

Which is illegal.

*Try cycling on the pavements in the village and see what comes up on the local facebook winge-page

Which is also illegal.

poly
    Free Member

And God forbid a driver that gets stuck behind said vehicle should sound their horn. So is this inconsiderate behaviour a mechanism to incite a ding dang kick-off

I’d say yes – sounding your horn for being delayed 60s is probably a good way to incite aggression. Although I don’t think that’s what you meant.

Personally I love being in remote places in the highlands and islands where when two friends pass each other they stop to have a chat and hold everyone up – I find it refreshing, perhaps we should have more of that and then everyone who’s rushing around making non-essential journeys can decide if they might be quicker on a bike or foot!

nickewen
    Free Member

Not a Covid thing round here, been going on for donkeys. Worst instance I experienced was years ago at the local Sainsbury’s at maybe 9pm. A big supermarket 1 hour before closing so easily 90% of the hundreds of car parking spaces are free.

My wife and I come out with all of our shopping and I spot a guy in his 4×4 **** mobil, engine running (naturally) parked sideways across TWO disabled bays (no blue badge). We load our car and just before I pull away, matey in his motorised penis extension pulls out before me (as he’s only about 10 metres from the door and I’m in a normal space further out) and then stops right outside the **** shop door. This is in the one way system to exit the whole car park which is 1 car wide.. so I have to sit and watch this **** cockheads wife load their weekly shop into the boot!

I’m **** bouncing by this point leaning on the horn covering the inside of my windscreen in spit. He leans out and looks back giving the owld “WTFs you problem pal?” look while his wife gives the same.

I could have easily went full Douglas in Falling down that evening if it wasn’t for my wife in the car being the voice of reason.

Drives me **** potty stuff like this and all of the stuff up-thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Drivers stopping in the middle of the road’ is closed to new replies.