Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • drinking too much?
  • ton

since november i have been for a drink every friday or saturday, and i mean a proper drink..10, 12 pints
    so far, i have maintained a bit of weight loss still whilst doing it.
    but i feel i am cutting back too much on food thru the week, knowing that i will be having a skinfull on the weekend,
    i reckon this is not good practice.

your thoughts are greatly welcomed.

wallop

Impressive stuff. Three is my limit before I’m holepunched.

MSP

I would be more concerned with the links between binge drinking and arrhythmia, than the calories in your position.

speaker2animals

I don’t think you need anyone to tell you that don’t sound healthy. How about trying to reduce consumption one weekend in two. Try to have no more than 5 to 6 one weekend and your normal consumption the following one. It sort of works for me though my limit is 8 pints on a heavy night anyway. I also had January off the booze completely. I did it a week at a time though. I knew that I wanted to get to 4 weeks but rather than stress myself by setting a difficult target straight off I set manageable chunks.

Best of luck.

ton

MSP. my heart problem started 2 or so years ago….when i was on the wagon for a 5 yr period.

Suggsey
    Free Member

First of all, I used to be a heavy drinker too. Diabetes hello, now I drink minimally as my kidneys no longer work quite as well as they should be- guess what since I hardly drink my kidney function has improved.
    I really really enjoy a good drink once or twice a year and can still down a similar quantity to you on those couple of occasions without too much concern. The rest of the year I may have and really really enjoy a real ale or two or maybe a nice big single malt or cognac but thats it. Its all about self control I am afraid to say and the wish to live to a decent age not be a death statistic at the age of 55!
    You know the answer if you are honest with yourself and what you should do to not be one of those statistics……….

scotroutes

Do you want to be in good health to enjoy your grandchildren? You obviously have the willpower given enough of an incentive – just knock it back to a couple of pints.

speedstar

There are specific problems linked to binge drinking which are not directly linked to calorie intake. You’re also damaging your muscles as muscle soaks up a lot of booze when you drink. I drink at the level you are describing maybe once or twice a year and usually at weddings! try and drink water between every two pints and it will stage it out and keep you more hydrated. Think of the damage to the work you’re doing on your cycling if nothing else!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Golly, 12 pints..

hmanchester
    Free Member

I was a reasonably heavy social drinker and enjoyed it. Unfortunately it was causing to feel extremely grumpy for up to 10 days afterwards…. Not good.

So I decided to stop and to help me I read this book.

Very cheesy, but extremely effective. One of the things in the book is to recommend it to others. So there we are.

No booze for 18 months and I don’t miss it. I’ve decided not to drink rather than “giving something up”.

Good luck with whatever you do.

nonk
    Free Member

Honestly ton mate do you need to ask this?
    Come on man sort it out.

ton

as of now, i am gonna ride on a weekend rather than drink.
    i will reward myself with 1 pint defore driving home

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

biscuit anyone?

😉

12 pints would have me floored, 3 is my limit. good luck on cutting back 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Maybe a pint after driving instead…

nikk
    Free Member

I’d be in the hospital having my stomach pumped on 12 pints.

Even if you can do that one night and stay conscious, one day, one way or the other, the hospital will have you. Would eating 12 mars bars be good for you? Having 12 curries?

br
    Free Member

tbh Ton my alcohol intake has pretty much gone down by one pint for every year since I passed 40. Consequently 2-3 are enough now…

And rather than setting up a night on the pi55, organise a ride and wear yourself out. I’m sat here after 35 miles and 4,800ft of MTB today, knackered – last thing I need/want is a beer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ton if you need encouragement to reduce beer and substitute for riding, here’s mine.

Kryton57

Christ, 12 pints….

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

If you’re a student then maybe OK. But if you a not I’d say you’d want to think about cutting back a bit. Not least because it must be costing you a fortune!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Not sure if trolling…

sweepy
    Free Member

You can get away with drinking that amount on an occasional basis but not regularly, mores the pity.

Tom-B
    Free Member

😯 12 pints would see me dead! I couldn’t consume that amount of liquid nevermind beer!

bearnecessities

jekkyl

mmm Stella!

Kryton57

jekkyl – Member
    mmm 2 Stella’s!

FT for me….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Round about 200 calories in a pint.
    2000-2400 calories in beer at once.
    Your recommended daily intake is 2500 per day
    Don’t take a genius to work it out, does it?

I doubt I drink 12 pints a month, and I brew my own beer.

mboy
    Free Member

Impressive stuff. Three is my limit before I’m holepunched.

3?

I managed a pint last night before I fell asleep on my Girlfriend!

That was 8.2% strength Cider to be fair, but I certainly can’t manage more than about 3 of those at best.

as of now, i am gonna ride on a weekend rather than drink.

Much healthier, but… Without wishing to sound like a Nazi, can’t condone drinking and driving (even a pint). Why not reward yourself with a couple of pints when you get home instead and just have a soft drink in the pub?

Fishbone
    Free Member

Drink as much as you like fella, you are probably having a good time, so why stop?

butcher

To be honest, when drinking in those quantities, I reckon the calorie intake is the least of your worries. I’ve never heard calories quoted when noting the harmful effects of alcohol.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve done it myself. As do plenty of others. But the fact remains that it’s not good for you. And I’m fairly convinced that it is to blame for the heart palpitations that I never used to have.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘drinking too much?’ is closed to new replies.