Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?
  • federalski
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s been mentioned already but the West Brewery is utterly brilliant if your a fan of decent beers. The Dunkel and the Munich Red are lovely. A fiver in a taxi from the Merchant City.

grum
    Free Member

Went to see the Pixies in Glasgow not so long ago and had a great time. Few nice bars/pubs/restaurants too and no grief whatsoever.

user-removed
    Free Member

grum – I was at that gig and posted on here asking about good post-gig pubs. Got some cracking recommendations too and spent the wee small hours listening to fiddles bashing out some decent folky vibes whilst drinking Cally 80.

Also saw a mahoosive fight spilling out of a pub the next day though. But I’m frae Aiberdeen, so the Weegies dinnae touch us like.

TP
    Free Member

I’m disappointed to learn that Uisge Beatha has closed. Once upon a time it was my local.

athgray
    Free Member

If you head up with the notion of enjoying yourselves you will be fine. If you relax people can tell, then it doesn’t matter where you are from.

type17
    Free Member

Been living not too far outside Glasgow for a while now, cant understand where they got the reputation for being REALLY friendly….. abrupt, abrasive and born with an all seeing eye…. sounds a bit more like it, still prefer them to Aberdonians though :P. Merchant city and the “posher” spots etc. just dont seem right in Glasgow, VERY pretentious but unable to back it up. Kindve like Rab c nesbit opening up a wine bar….. personally id just rock up to the place and see what happens, usually works out for me. I know it has a reputation for being rough but tbh I have never gotten any crap while being out, I just relax and have a laugh with whoever happens to be around me, and the night is always bang on, the only crap Ive ever gotten in Glasgow has been when Im out and going about my day, THAT is a different story….. My favourite of which is when I am treated like an idiot beacause I pronounce words properly…. 😉 So no, imo, you might not die… :p Oh and dont think they are really that racist bout here either, no more than anywhere else, they just dont have much of a filter to turn the words into something pc, in that sense I actually prefer weegies.

user-removed
    Free Member

Em, what? ^^^ Despite the recent threads about being intelligible online, I have literally no idea waht yer on aboot.

peterfile
    Free Member

type17, sorry to hear you haven’t had the best experience when visiting Glasgow. Perhaps you should write a trip adviser report?

I’d put Glasgow as the friendliest city I’ve ever lived in. Despite the fact this is my home, it’s not the only one i’ve spent time in, i’ve lived in London, Leeds, Manchester, Hull for at least a year.

Perhaps its just the Glaswegian trait of not suffering fools that you’re experiencing?

My favourite of which is when I am treated like an idiot beacause I pronounce words properly

Don’t be daft. Are you suggesting that you’re in a minority? two good universities full of students would disagree with you for starters. I don’t have much of an accent and speak properly, but I can’t every recall that causing me to be treated like an idiot?

whattyre
    Free Member

I’ve had numerous nights out in Glasgow and never a bad one..it’s ace! I’ve always found everyone up for a laugh and good craik

type17
    Free Member

Perhaps Peterfile, I must be a fool then. 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

Glasgow is fine, can honestly say in my 35 years I’ve never once felt in danger in the town centre, the scheme’s can be a different story mind you..

essentially, bring yer sense of humour and understand that words like “c**t” can be used as a term of endearment and you’ll get on fine. 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ll take you for a beer, type. All the people I know are quite nice and speak properly 🙂

iainc

STW Glasgow beers anyone ? Seems a fair few of us on here

legend
    Free Member

Meet intarweb people?! That’s just silly

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Glasgow is great, prefered it to Edinburgh…

gods knows where we went but it was great weekend…

sorry thats no help!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I spent 10 years in Glasgow and so far around 7 in Edinburgh. I much prefer Glasgow. The people in general are more friendly and the access to the best parts of Scotland is much easier.

Peterfile – there are three good universities in Glasgow.

type17
    Free Member

@ Peterfile, after revealing my experiences with some of you guys Im not sure Id be that welcome 😆 Few glasses of whiskey is never a bad thing though.

Nah serioussly though, dont mind how anyone speaks, I am hardly royalty. Moreso get grief and impatience when I cant understand it…. But sure meh, have far more of a problem with the slush and snow stopping me getting out on the bike today, dont think any of us can solve that one though. 😆

iainc

Peterfile – there are three good universities in Glasgow.

aye right 😆

The Uni, the Poly and the College…..

I graduated from 2 of them 😛

grum
    Free Member

Few glasses of Few glasses of whiskey is never a bad thing though. is never a bad thing though.

Ok now you’re getting stabbed. 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

iainc – the Poly has some of the best courses of their kind you’ll find anywhere. AHP courses and Engineering mostly.

iainc

George – I know – I did an Engineering based degree there, then when I went to the ‘proper Uni’ a few years later to do a masters got pelters for my Poly degree 😆

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I spend a lot of time in Scotland and Glasgow is easily the friendliest of the cities. Always have a good time when I’m out in the city. Yeah its got some rough areas, what city doesn’t.

My favouite bar is the Balmore in Possil 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

ianc – aye, but did you do one of the good engineerring degrees at the poly? Surprises me that you didn’t go to the college to do your masters as the “proper uni” has a crap reputation for engineering.

iainc

ianc – aye, but did you do one of the good engineerring degrees at the poly? Surprises me that you didn’t go to the college to do your masters as the “proper uni” has a crap reputation for engineering.

BSc Applied Geology, Strathclyde

MSc Geotechnical Engineering, Glasgow

I was trying to persude my daughter to go to Glasgow but she is at Edinburgh instead (Law) 😆

legend
    Free Member

Is the “Uni” still in financial trouble? I was trying to give them £9k a year recently, apparently they don’t like to respond to enquiries

titusrider
    Free Member

I have a vivid memory of getting the train with my fully loaded bike from Glasgow to Broddick to start an islands tour.

Got on the train and within about 2 mins we were being talked to and asked what were were up to by a family of locals on their way home. All very friendly and had good intentions……. but the fact i could understand about every 3rd work out of the dads mouth made conversation a little difficult. The son took pity on me and ‘translated’…. i could understand two out of three of his words 🙂

Confused Southerner 🙂

teethgrinder

Seems i am in Amsterdam. Not Glasgow. Ho hum

peterfile
    Free Member

Glasgow to Broddick

How was that train journey? Wet, i’d imagine.

🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?’ is closed to new replies.