Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pubs around ANY railway station are scummy. FACT!

🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

38 posts and nobody has mentioned The Savoy, Rooftops, or the world famous Cleopatras.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oh yes, cockneys welcome – do remember to take a camera and post the results on here.

glupton1976
    Free Member

peterfile – if you live in Park Circus, can you confirm a horrible rumour i’ve heard – that Uisge Beatha has closed down?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Seriously? I was amazed at how bad it was, even worse than its reputation!

I’ve never felt so scared in my life.

Fortunately, the locals are quite easy to spot and avoid.

Do you like poetry? try Robert Burns

Wee, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie,
    O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!

tomd
    Free Member

Park Circus of Glasgow fame?

Glasgow has a bit of a reputation that’s for sure but a lot of what’s been said here is bollocks. I guess as a visitor you could end up in places where locals would avoid but in general it’s absolutely fine.

If you want a pub to avoid in Glasgow, check this beauty out on Duke Street:

lamp post bar street view

tomd
    Free Member

peterfile – if you live in Park Circus, can you confirm a horrible rumour i’ve heard – that Uisge Beatha has closed down?

Yes, it’s now called Dram I think. Been in it a couple of times, it’s OK but not the same as the dingy cave of old.

BoardinBob

This video’s doing the rounds at the moment. Should provide a laugh for us locals

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7HjUmRJ5U[/video]

irc

Yes, the Saracen Head. I nipped in there for a quick pint with Mrs IRC on our way to Barrowlands. It’s the only time I’ve been in a pub where the clientele were singing IRA songs. Left and nipped over the road to Bairds Bar for a second pint and was offered shoplifted gear.

glupton1976
    Free Member

That’s a shame. It was one of Glasgow’s hidden gems. Next you’ll be telling me that Brunswick Cellars has changed beyond all recognition.

BoardinBob – That is magic. It’s what happens when outsiders get a hold of Glaswegian Jungle Juice.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

As an effete Edinburgher I feel it might be judicious not to wear anything of the wrong green, blue or orange, depending on where you go. Glaswegians will explain.

peterfile
    Free Member

can you confirm a horrible rumour i’ve heard – that Uisge Beatha has closed down?

Yup, well sort of, it’s now called Dram and still has lots of whisky 🙂

Park Circus of Glasgow fame?

Aye. Sorry, slow work day, was hoping to fuel the fears of a couple of visiting tourists.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

richmtb + 1

legend
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member
    the world famous Cleopatras.

You’ll be meaning Viper then.

You’re Brunswick comment isn’t even funny, was gutted when they actually put lighting in it 🙁

ransos
    Free Member

Aye. Sorry, slow work day, was hoping to fuel the fears of a couple of visiting tourists.

Nicely played!

peterfile
    Free Member

anyone know why the Brunswick was closed for most of last year?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Legend – i’ve not been in there in about 4 years and had hoped that it hadn’t changed. I have many hazy memories of going in there on a summer lunch time getting absolutely steamin then climbing the steps to find that it was still light outside.

Nice n Sleazy still the same?

steveoath
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Pubs around ANY railway station are scummy. FACT!

eh, wrong. But nice try anyway.

Stereo On Renfield Lane is ace, mostly indie/beardy types but nice ber veggie menu and live music downstairs. http://www.stereocafebar.com/

If you really want to push yourself, and have a stoatin’ headache try the SUBCRAWL. All day underground ticket plus a pint at a bar near each station. http://www.barcrawl.co.uk/pubcrawl.aspx?Crawl=896

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

walk in wearing a red body warmer and say to the bar person “may I use your bathroom”, before walking straight to the bogs.

yunki
    Free Member

I spent three weeks up there staying with friends of friends when I was 18 – supposedly recovering from a bit of a breakdown

The lasting memory was of being in the sub club, on half of one of those dodgy snowball E’s, freezing cold and a bit paranoid..
    Some large red sweaty fella with a tattooed face approached our table and grabbing me by the hand announced in a fearsome and largely toothless growl..

‘hey there hen, I’m full of eckie and wantin’ to dance with you sweet heart’

Now I was quite a pretty young lad but this was all a bit too much for my fragile state of mind.. luckily the tiny sexy wee chick that was playing the part of my gracious hostess leapt up as fierce as a tiger and informed the hapless fella that I was very much spoken for and that he ‘should back off sharpish pal’..

if I could survive up there for three weeks anyone can

MrSmith
    Free Member

That never happened

yes it did, 4 years ago. the ‘white’ person is a colleague who is essentially english but has a well known scottish name and his grandfather was lord lieutenant of stirlingshire so of scottish descent but had the foresight to leave.
    why would i make that up if it wasn’t true?
    there is another anecdote involving a glasgow pub with a low false ceiling and a 6ft+ pissed up jock punching 2 holes in it when he stood up and shouted “the Scots will rise again!” when a discussion got a bit out of hand. details are sketchy though due to the amount of alcohol involved and i don’t have 2 people to corroborate details.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

walk in wearing a red body warmer and say to the bar person “may I use your bathroom”, before walking straight to the bogs.

needs american accent and works best in leith

thegman67

You will be fine all the Junkies live in Edinburgh

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sounds like I’m in for an ‘interesting’ night then!

ITS JUST A NORMAL BIG CITY LIKE ANY OTHER 🙄

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

yes it did, 4 years ago. the ‘white’ person is a colleague who is essentially english but has a well known scottish name and his grandfather was lord lieutenant of stirlingshire so of scottish descent

Normally the panto starts with Oh yes it it did. Anyway, are these the sort of details your friends normally announce on entering a strange bar? my surname is MacX and I’m of scottish descent because my grandad’s posh?
    Did you get a t-shirt with that ?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

to be fair yunki, you were looking rather fetching that evening

binners

ransos – Member

Simple rules for drinking: avoid any pub with a flat roof and/ or a “Help For Heroes” banner.

Sound advice, whatever your location 😆

glupton1976
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJY2LXsDGe0[/video]

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ITS JUST A NORMAL BIG CITY LIKE ANY OTHER

Actually, IME of having lived there for several years it’s not. It’s much more pleasant than most. Like any city, it’s good and bad bits, but the good more than outweigh the bad.

binners

I’ve had some belting nights/following mornings out in Glasgow. Though details of locations are hazy, to say the least. But I’m always reminded of them when I listen to this….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Krvl7AEAs[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

Anyway, are these the sort of details your friends normally announce on entering a strange bar?

don’t be silly. he does sometimes wear his kilt though.

thegman67

Uisge Beatha,i used to work their when Duncan McGregor had it. Used to have to wear the kilt when working dont think their was ever a weekend that we didnt end up at Clatty Pats.

bigG
    Free Member

irc – Member
    Yes, the Saracen Head. I nipped in there for a quick pint with Mrs IRC on our way to Barrowlands. It’s the only time I’ve been in a pub where the clientele were singing IRA songs. Left and nipped over the road to Bairds Bar for a second pint and was offered shoplifted gear.

You’re hanging out at the wrong end of town, come over to the other end and hang out with the teddy bears, “bouncy bouncy bouncy”…..

Much more civilised, they’ll shake your hand to see if you’re a mason before they decide if you’re worth mugging.

mrplow
    Free Member

Quite like the Horseshoe which is near Central Station. Bon Accord for real beer but it is a bit away from Central Station.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Tbh, the cockneys **** as soon as he goes north of watford gap. 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

Does the Horseshoe Bar still claim to have the longest continuous bar in the world?

irc

the world famous Cleopatras.

I met Mrs IRC at Clattypats in 1985. I had a flat at Kelvinbridge in the 80s so Clatties was good for a couple of pints after a backshift when the pubs were closed.

legend
    Free Member

Enjoy 🙂 NSFW by the way, some great chat though!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7HjUmRJ5U[/video]

glupton1976
    Free Member

Legend -is this you?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ouk_XEU-mw[/video]

😉

legend
    Free Member

No, I’m the guy the got ripped a new one by him when my phone went off mid-gig! Wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t for the fact it was in a tiny venue (Brel) with about 20 folk 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?’ is closed to new replies.