Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Drinking beer at home. 🍻
  • Ambrose

When I visited my brother this weekend I noticed that there were no pint glasses in the house.

I have quite a few, mostly ones that have been discarded by people on the way back from the pub and I have picked them up. Plus one or two that have come in gift boxes of beers.

It feels a bit odd drinking beer out of something that isn’t a pint glass tbh.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I have quite a few, mostly ones that have been discarded by people on the way back from the pub and I have picked them up.

HAHAH! Sure! Discarded 😀

I kind of like drinking from a bottle – as most of the best nights in my teens and early twenties were spent drinking from bottles.

rOcKeTdOg

I used to have friends who would drink ale from the bottle.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Very few beers in cans here, it’s mostly bottles (with screw/pop tops, natch). I don’t think I’ve got a pint glass at home. Bottles in a case, straight from the drive-thru bottlo, with a selection of stubby coolers.

kayak23

Can’t stand beers in a glass. Beautifully chilled bottle, then pour it into a room temperature glass? Nah man.

Was in a restaurant the other week and ordered an insanely expensive bottled beer as I thought hey, it’s(apparently) a treat, let’s enjoy it. I was already nervous that he’d mistreat my beer. Turns out I wasn’t wrong.

The dude bought it over and sloshed it into a half glass and plonked it on the table without a hint of ‘sensitivity’ before I could say anything.

What should have been a full glass of slightly warmed beer in a kids glass at best, was essentially a quarter of flat beer and three quarters of foam.

His apologies didn’t bring me a new beer 😐

They do the same with lovely chilled cans of Coke. Man I hate that shit …and yes, I am fun at parties.. 😅

I have glasses at home, mostly vintage ones but I don’t use them. I like the nice 660ml Estrellas etc, prepared in the freezer.

rOcKeTdOg

was essentially a quarter of flat beer and three quarters of foam.

The pourer was doing you a favour unless you like drinking CO2

joat

Always take pint glasses with us when going away. Generally drink beer rather than lager so half a degree’s difference in temperature isn’t noticeable and doesn’t last long enough to be warmed by the glass anyway.

senorj

I like a 330ml tin at home. On very rare occasions ,I will have 4!
    The decadence.
    Never drink from an Ale bottle though , I do have some standards.

joshvegas
    Free Member

For t’ales i have some vintage half pint amber glass mugs.

The lagers tend to stay in the bottle although have a couple of narrow beer mugs.

If its bigger than a half pint it just gets kept cold in the bottle.

plumber
    Free Member

We use small glasses that I steal from honest burger branches – lovely little things straight from the freezer and not a big drinker so just right.

First time I put a glass in the freezer my mrs thought I was nuts, now a complete convert and will not accept anything else 🙂

BigJohn

Davenport’s!

Kryton57

You wouldn’t drink from the bottle if you saw all the critters and slugs crawling over them in storageno doubt also laden with rat poison, before they are merely rinsed under a tap and served to you *

*At least in my local corner shop.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i drink beer out of a wine glass! i know!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think pint glasses are only a ‘thing’ because Pubs in the UK are pretty terrible to beer in. IMO we lead the world in terrible ways to buy booze.

Anyway, I prefer a smaller glass, like the rest of the world.

I’ve picked this cheeky chap up in a snazzy little Scandinavian boutique I know.

Link

In the summer, if it’s very hot I’ll pop a few of them in the freezer for a bit, they hold a 330ml Heineken perfectly with enough room for a bit of a head.

bob_summers

Drinking beer at home

Never! Whenever I’m in the UK one of the few pleasures remaining is the trip to the pub. Drinking beer at home just seems sad in comparison.

redstripe
    Free Member

2 choices here:

binners

Glasses? It has to be straight out of the can, surely?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I drink beer from either small whisky glasses, 2/3rd schooners or in porcelain tankards – German style <- they have a good thick body so insulate the beer

I make my own beer and pour it from my own taps – I have even set up a narrower gauge piece of beer line inline to restrict flow and increase fobbing. I also carbonate my own beers to the correct Co2 volumes and control the temperature for absorption/serving.

Generally I aim to pour 1/4 beer, 3/4 foam, which will settle to 2/3rds beer, 1/3rd foam/head. I love the smell and taste of the foam, and since it’s coming from my own taps I can just go back and get another glass no problem.

I was very impressed with the Czech’s beer pouring skills in all their bars. You can even request the amount of foam you want:

The guy in the video (Vaclav) explained it all to me

Beagleboy

This is my goto beer glass at the moment. I love it, my wife…not so much 😁
    Sorry I don’t know how to post images from my phone, but I think this link will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C1QbrEbdxJ7cP8VU6

binners

How about a lager mitt?

taxi25
    Free Member

Good video YGH, I love a fresh pint of PU in Prague. It would be hysterical to see the landlord at my local put a milk pour in front of one of the regulars and tell him it’s for the connoisseurs 😂😂

zippykona

I take my own mug to the pub for my cup of tea as their mugs are too thick.

ads678

A nice stemmed beer glass is yhe way to go, like the europeans do, I bought some good quality chalices a while back and just use those. Pint glasses get used for a big drink of squash.

toby1

P-Jay, you were doing well on the beer snob ratings until you went to Heineken as the beer of choice! 😉

I bought some glasses from Northern monk on my last visit, money paid for them supports a local charity so I did genuinely buy them not lift them. They are my current favourites. All my pint glasses are from various years at the Cambridge beer festival, with the occasional exception of a Whitby brewery glass and 2 from Big Mountain in Chamonix.

boxelder

Prefer a smaller glass, regularly topped up, especially fresh beer from the growler at our local proper beer shop.
    Like the sweet shop when you were a kid

phil5556

I think we only have one pint glass, it gets used for water mostly.

I like smaller / half pint glasses at home. Currently using the ones that came with a flavourly order, which are quite nice.

tomparkin

The “used to” is quite telling here 😉

winston
    Free Member

My current vessel of choice for a home pint – gets taken camping and various other places as well.

Image result for klean kanteen pint

Keeps a nicely chilled beer cool and doesn’t warm up a room temp one too quickly

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t stand beers in a glass. Beautifully chilled bottle, then pour it into a room temperature glass? Nah man.

I mean…..If you like zero taste and a bloated stomach then that’s your choice.

leffeboy

I mean…..If you like zero taste and a bloated stomach then that’s your choice.

I was thinking of how to put it but you nailed it – well done

lunge

I like a cooled, stemmed glass, continental stylee. Rarely drink beer from a pint glass at home, the pint glasses are sued for water and squash.

winston
    Free Member

Holland is great for this – the local supermarket near my MIL always has a load of special offer beer packs with 1 or 2 glasses included free. They really nice continental stemmed glasses normally and perfect for a Trappest Tripel!

kynasf
    Free Member

everything tastes better out of a Duvel glass!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I prefer a stemmed schooner for drinking beer at home. I have a tall wheat beer glass for getting the big fluffy head right on a bottle of wheat beer.

DezB
    Free Member

Whenever I’m in the UK one of the few pleasures remaining is the trip to the pub. Drinking beer at home just seems sad in comparison.

You’ll have to explain this to me. That lonely bloke sat on the same barstool every night, knows the bar staff by name – not sad? Last time I went into the pub with a lady, we couldn’t hear each other cos of all the local young people SHOUTING to each other a the top of their voices. Pleasure?
    Drinking beer in front of my own telly is far less sad and infinitely more pleasurable.

P-Jay
    Free Member

P-Jay, you were doing well on the beer snob ratings until you went to Heineken as the beer of choice! 😉

Ha ha, I have a real dislike for snobbery in most things, but food and drink especially.

I drink a couple of Heinies on a Saturday night to get mildly pissed enough to tolerate ‘Strictly’, if it didn’t contain alcohol there’s not a chance I’d drink it.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

rode around to a cycling buddy’s house on Sunday arvo just to talk bike shiz and sample his Timothy Taylor homebrew. He had it all kegged up and pressurised and inside an old fridge with a hole drilled in the top and the hose with tap coming out through the hole.

It was still a bit cloudy but a few pints went down okay. Had a bit of a headache the next day.

On the subject of bottles v glasses I’m a pint-glass man through and through. Can’t stand drinking from bottles or even worse from cans.

rOcKeTdOg

The “used to” is quite telling here 😉

Yep, I can’t be friends with those that do that to beer. Unless it’s lager but that’s basically flavoured water with chemicals in it in most cases so doesn’t count as beer, so drink it out of anything you like it certainly won’t make the taste any worse.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I like to drink bottle conditioned beers so pint pots are essential for pouring in one go (for 500ml bottles). I’ve probably got 20 or so pint glasses of different shapes/branding. It’s also nice, but not essential, to drink certain beers from their own branded glasses, Kwak, Westmalle etc.

Dickyboy

Proper pint glass with an handle for me & Mrs Db gets upset if I pour my own beer too, never used to drink at all at home till I met her…. on special occasions I have a musical tankard that plays auld lang syne whilst I sup 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Drinking beer at home. 🍻’ is closed to new replies.