Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Drinking at 4 hour enduros….
  • DrP

OK, so the general race-snobbery would suggest a camel-back is tantamount to paedophilia in the woods…
    …but…. How else am I suppose to remain adequately full of sugary caffiney type drink over a 4 hour race, when I don’t have the luxury of a pit crew…..

Not too keen on just leaving a stash of bottles at the start line TBH.

Any other ideas??

DrP

xiphon
    Free Member

Why do you care about what anybody else thinks about a camelback?

Just use it…

theotherjonv

Just leave a stash of bottles at the start / finish line. I know you said you weren’t keen, but do it anyway. We’re generally an honourable sport still, I’ve never had an issue in 10 years or so of Enduro racing*

* racing is stretching it – suffering around various courses with a number on is a better description

binners

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Binners post was more what I wad thinking

Keva
    Free Member

disappointed. I thought this was going to be how many beers would drink the night before and how many beers would you drink afterwards.

transapp
    Free Member

Even as part of a team 12 hour enduro I went with a camel back. It was so freakin hot (yes, we did have a week of sun at the end of may) that I thought that keeping hydrated was more important than how people reacted to me wearing a camel back. I did however borrow a mates classic so that I could minimise the weight of it. I reckon a mule would be pretty ott!

njee20
    Free Member

Why not? It’s exactly what I do if no-one’s around.

That said, if you’re happier using a Camelbak, use a Camelbak. I personally find it easier to know how much I’m drinking, know I’m not going to run out, and not have to carry 3kg of unnecessary weight at the start.

JoB
    Free Member

like others, i’ve never had a problem leaving bottles on the start line

and i leave a couple of just water bottles in there should i fancy a change from energy goop, something you can’t do with a ‘bak

You’ll find lots of other riders have stashed their bottles near the start, just put yours near them.
    I usually race super-solo and try to find a bored looking wife or father who is obviously acting as support crew for someone and ask them to keep an eye on my stuff.

nosedive
    Free Member

i hoped this thread would be about beer too. shame on you

DrP

The bottles will be filled with beer and mulled wine……

So, bottles at the start…do you just jump off, swap over, and jump on??

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t need to get off to lean down!

A friend uses an ice cream tub attached to the handle of a pitchfork – puts bottles at arm height so you can ride through and grab one.

Gee of this parish used to use a picnic table. Must say though I could never do that without sending them all flying!

br
    Free Member

Why? We’ve done the Gorrick Enduro a number of times and have always left a cool box at the line – full of food/drink etc. Never had a problem.

steve_b77
    Free Member

In the event you’re entering, are you allowed to cache bottles around the course?

Northwind

If I had a very lightweight camelbak, I’d definately consider using it for xc-type enduro events. Reason being, it beats eating trail-mud off bottles.

I like the feeling of not having a pack on, mind, makes me “racier” 😉 But in reality other than the temptation to carry more stuff it’d make bugger all difference to my times.

avdave2

try to find a bored looking wife

This is also excellent advice at all other times.

xcgb
    Free Member

Sounds like you dont need to bother – there will be plenty lying about! 🙂

Jerome
    Free Member

Or just find a random supporter/pit crew alongside the course and ask to leave your stuff next to them for safe keeping..

mcboo
    Free Member

Just past the start line no? will be lots of other folk doing exactly the same.

DrP

Sounds like you dont need to bother – there will be plenty lying about!

Brilliant!

TBH – I think I’ll just wear the wingnut – I carry a tube/pump etc, and really don’t get on with saddle bags, so having it in the wingnut seems a sensible option….

(I think I was sheepishly looking for confirmation it’s an OK thing to do!!)

DrP

singletrackmind

Gorrick 4hr Brass Monkeys?
    Yes , lots of riders set up pit stops near the start / finish line.
    Either bottles in a milk crate type of thing, or a stack and store box full of goodies.
    Always best not to actualy stop but thats not always possible.
    Think a few bottles in a holder attatched to a fork driven into the ground would be easiset and simples. Tape or elastic band attatching a bar/gel/bannana and your good for another lap.

jd-boy
    Free Member

DrP
    Not sure if you are booked in for the Thetford winter enduro, if you are we have a set out feed zone were you can leave bottles, and there may be a kind person that would offer them up for you. some people have even set up little tables in the past.
    Please dont set bottle feeds up at the start/finish as this will mess the RFID timing up (if its Gorrick or TmtbR) and Timelaps will be on your case.

juan
    Free Member

4 hours fouck me how any stages do you have 8?

DrP

Enduro…as in endurance……
    It’s xc juan!

DrP

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

So if you pick up bottles on the way through what happens to the empties? Cos no one is quick enough to not stop, drop a empty conveniently by my stash and pick one up!

juan
    Free Member

So it’s not an enduro Ian 😉

But why not use a camel back?

m1kea
    Free Member

njee20
    A friend uses an ice cream tub attached to the handle of a pitchfork – puts bottles at arm height so you can ride through and grab one.

There was a pitchfork + drinks at the start of the Army are you tough enough enduro so I presume this must be the same chap?

What’s wrong with Camelbaks? If it’s muddy I’d much rather have a clean mouthpiece over a mud splatted bottle.

pete68
    Free Member

@transapp , presume you were at the Erlestoke 12 then. I too remember the only hot event of the year.To the OP just stash some bottles as every one else has said.No ones going to nick em.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Drinking at 4 hour enduros….’ is closed to new replies.