Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Drink Driving and the morning after
  • franksinatra

I guy I know (an ex copper ironically) has just been banned for drink driving. He blew a reading of 72 (limit being 35) after bouncing his car into a ditch.

He is trying to gather sympathy by claiming he was still over the limit from the night before, I reckon this is balls. If he was drinking pints and stopped at say midnight, how many would have have had to have to still be blowing that reading at 5pm the next day?

Idiot.

brakes
    Free Member

depends on the person and the circumstances.
    happened to a mate of mine – got pulled over at lunchtime after drinking until 12am, stopped for a seemingly innocuous manoeuvre, breathalised as a matter of process and was slightly over the limit – got a 12 month ban.

samuri
    Free Member

Still get no sympathy from me. It’s a well known fact you can still be over the next day and the police in numerous counties are running campaigns specifically about being drunk the next morning.

To answer your question, two units in a pint, you lose a unit an hour so if he’d if he had 5 pints worth in his system at midnight he could still be that much over.

iainc

Rough reckoner is that average male may burn a unit an hour, so in 17hrs he could have burned off 9 units, and perhaps would need another 5 units for that reading, so maybe if he’d had 14 -16 units, maybe 8 pints ? All very rough and specific to individual

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Its easily done, but no excuse.
    Stupidity is not a defence.
    But to be twice the limit 17 hours after drinking, either bs, or a drink problem.

ricky1
    Free Member

If I go out on the beer I can still smell it on my breath the next evening sometimes,there are lots of myths about how long it takes and stupid old wives tales like sucking a penny,if you drove with beer breath you deserve a ban,we all know the rules.

geoffj

Average of 1 unit per hour?

10 pints of something strong ish (3 units per pint) between 9 and 12 the previous night is doable.
    Pretty hardcore though.

Legoman
    Free Member

I’m not a huge drinker but these kind of stories scare the shit out of me as I genuinely have no idea how much would put me over the limit the next day.

Is there a rough rule of thumb? I’ve heard it takes 1 unit per hour to pass through the body, but over the course of an evening you’d drink a number of units over several hours, so how’d you work it out? Does anyone bother?

Drac

Even if he wasn’t ‘effected’ by the alcohol he was over the limit he should know the law and he broke it.

Is there a rough rule of thumb?

Don’t drink if your going to drive.

MarkLG
    Free Member

He was still over the limit at 5pm the next day??
    Must have been one hell of a night out – or maybe he had a top up at lunch which he isn’t telling anybody about?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a tough one. I reckon most people who have a license and drink, have probably driven over the limit at some stage in their lives. Bit of a hangover after a heavy night? Drive to work? You may well have been over the limit. I’ve never checked obviously, but I would say I’ve done it, albeit not knowingly. Which, of course, and rightly so, is no defense whatsoever. I have slightly more sympathy for someone who is caught the morning after, than the night before. Nowadays, we all know we could be breathalysed after the smallest mistake while driving so it’s foolish to get in the car hungover and possibly over he limit. If I’m in any doubt now, I just make a call and say I’m not driving for a few hours.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I agree with Deadlydarcy, we’ve all done it but nowadays it just isn’t worth the risk. Have just bought a DIY breathaliser from the internet, no idea if it’s any good but will give it a try.

Duggan

Is somebody up there claiming 5 pints by 12am means you could still be over the limit at 5pm the next day?? Surely not?

You’d have had to have been smashed til the early hours, surely, to be over the limit at teatime the next day?

franksinatra

I agree, I reckon he was drinking the day he got done. It wasn’t morning after, it was 17hr after, which is Enough time to burn off roughly 8 pints. That means he would have had to of had more than 8pints in his system at midnight, and over the course of a session he would have burnt a few off.

No sympathy from me at at all. Only saving grace is that he did not kill anyone.

ste_t
    Free Member

You break down approx one unit per hour but doesn’t start until an hour after you finish your last drink.

An ex-employee of mine got banned for drink driving. When he attended a course to reduce his ban by six months every single other person on the course had been caught over the limit the morning after a night out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It wasn’t morning after

😕

That’s not what your thread title implies. LOCK HIM UP. THROW AWAY THE KEYS. 😡

franksinatra

Thread title reads better than approximately 17 hours after, morning after is something that we can relate to

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

An ex-employee of mine got banned for drink driving. When he attended a course to reduce his ban by six months every single other person on the course had been caught over the limit the morning after a night out.

Maybe those cases are the ones where the polis think folk are not beyond redemption? Kinda like the speed awareness course you might get offered for 37 in a 30 but maybe not for, say, 70 in a 40. (just guessing…)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thread title reads better than approximately 17 hours after, morning after is something that we can relate to

Even if you finished your last pint at closing time, 17 hours is still late afternoon/early evening which, despite not being as saucy as “the morning after”, is a bit of a stretch. 😛

franksinatra

Blimey DD, get over it!

samuri
    Free Member

Is somebody up there claiming 5 pints by 12am means you could still be over the limit at 5pm the next day?? Surely not?

You’d have had to have been smashed til the early hours, surely, to be over the limit at teatime the next day?

Aye, sorry. I read it as 5am.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member
    Blimey DD, get over it!
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

🙁

I was merely teasing OP. I have however, reported your BLATANTLY misleading post.

BoardinBob

Have just bought a DIY breathaliser from the internet

Are the ones you have to buy to drive in France any good? Personally I don’t drive the next day if I’ve had any more than 4 beers. Certainly leave a twelve hour gap if I’ve had 1 to 4 beers. I wouldn’t rely on a breathilser but its more curiosity about the lingering effects

Offroading
    Free Member

I’m surprised he got done being an ex coppa.

At my previous job we did work for the police vehicles, the pursuit ones.

One week i noticed one of the regulars had stopped coming in. He showed up one day after being driven in. Turns out he had been bubbled by a co-worker and breath tested in the morning at work (having driven in) and found to be 5 times over the limit….

He got a 2 month ban! Absolute joke. My neighbor drink drives 6 days a week, he’s been reported by myself and two other neighbors in the region of 10+ times and the cops have done jack about it. I walk past his place in the morning and he’s normally so pssed he can barley walk to his car let alone drive it.

Drac

He got a 2 month ban!

So he got done too.

Offroading
    Free Member

Double standards. Would a member of the public 5 times over the limit get a 2 month ban ?

Drac

Would a member of the public 5 times over the limit get a 2 month ban ?

The Police don’t issue the bans the CPS does, he got done by a colleague so he was done.

Offroading
    Free Member

I never said the police issue the bans.

Drac

But you tried to give an example of the Police not doing the Police but did the opposite showed them being done by a colleague.

Sue_W
    Free Member

A young friend of mine spent the previous night drinking at a party, went off to bed, and mid-morning set off in her car. Collision with another car, and she was found to be over the limit from the night before.

She would have deeply regretted it, if she had known, but tragically she died on impact.

Please think very carefully about how much you’ve had to drink the night before, the consequences can be devastating.

Offroading
    Free Member

Well that depends on your interpretation i guess.

My point being the public sector looking after fellow public sector employees. Joe blog on the street would have been hammered with a 12 month ban at least.

bails

I thought drink driving had a mandatory 12 month ban.

scaredypants

Very very roughly, and subject to lots of variables:

Call it about one unit per hour (or 2-3 hours per pint) starting from shortly after his first drink

Remember that you would “pass” a breathalyser on VERY approximately 5 units or so still in the system, so for a 5pm fail, assuming he started drinking at 8.30pm, that’s total metabolising time of about 20 hours. That means he’d need 25+ units intake, which is “only” 8-10 pints of ordinary beer (4-4.5%)

Relatively easily done for quite a few folk, I’d say, and being over at 9 the next morning is a doddle

wrightyson
    Free Member

8 pints is a breeze on a big night out surely? If those stats/maths are right there must be thousands of folk who drive around over the limit in a morning?

Drac

Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink

You may get:

6 months’ imprisonment
    up to £5,000 fine
    a driving ban for at least 1 year (3 years if convicted twice in 10 years)

So the answer is no they ‘would’ have not have been, they may have been.

Chances are being a Police officer he’d know what to say to get the sentence reduced.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Testing testing.
    Would you trust one of these?

sbob
    Free Member

Offroading – Member

He got a 2 month ban! Absolute joke.

The minimum is 12 months, someone has been feeding you porkies.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Convicted of drunk in charge rather than drink driving perhaps?

Not a mandatory ban for the former.

(Also, caught by the police, prosecuted by the CPS, pleads guilty or convicted by the court, sentenced by the court).

surfer
    Free Member

You break down approx one unit per hour but doesn’t start until an hour after you finish your last drink.

How does your “system” know when to start the process ? 🙂

If you have a beer at 5pm then another at 10pm. How does it know that is your last beer?

crankboy
    Free Member

offroading if he got a two month ban it was not for drink drive maybe but unlikely to be for drunk in charge , my guess is he got a 2 month suspension from driving police pursuit vehicles at work.

It is also a crime to drive when impaired by drink you can be guilty of that even if you blow under the limit .

If the bloke in the op blew 72 he was about twice the legal limit and unless a high functioning alcoholic well aware he was not fit to be driving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Drink Driving and the morning after’ is closed to new replies.