• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by irc.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Drink drivers causing fatalities………..
  • notlocal
    Free Member

Should they be charged with manslaughter, rather than death by dangerous driving?

A woman was killed yesterday, closing the gate to her driveway, by a driver more than 3 times over the limit when he lost control of his vehicle.
    The carnage
    The black car was driven by the male over the limit. 😯

Drac

You can get a longer sentence for death by dangerous driving.

nick1962
    Free Member

The maximum prison sentence for drink driving is 6 months.Oddly if you reoffend regardless of how many times ,the maximum sentence the courts can give is still 6 months.
    This firm and lots of others on their websites proudly boasts that none of it’s clients have ever been imprisoned for even repeat drink driving.

compositepro
    Free Member

i read the other day regards judges no longer having the power to say life is life its a discretionary thing

If a drunk driver ran over my two year old the driver wouldnt ever get to appear in front of a judge so its not a problem in my book

samuri
    Free Member

More killings are made by sober drivers.
    Surely we should be properly nailing down the people who can’t drive when they’ve not had anything to drink first.

footflaps

Surely we can still string up drink drivers on the nearest tree, just for good measure?

compositepro
    Free Member

Surely we should be properly nailing down the people who can’t drive when they’ve not had anything to drink first.

What a chuffing ridiculous idea…..you mean actually do something that isn’t easy, next youll be saying they only put cameras up to reduce road fatalities

shermer75
    Free Member

I suspect this might be because more people drive sobre

edit: unless you’re in Russia, obvs

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Where’s the government going to get the lost revenue from when 80% of the current drivers are taken off the road? Remember, it’s always the bean counters that have the last word. 😉

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Samuri….hope you don’t like the odd drink before you drive? Only joking 😉
    Drink driving is completely unacceptable in everyway and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

Of course the number of sober people involved in fatal rtc’s outweighs that of drink drivers because most of the population don’t drink when driving.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

How seriously do the police take calls about drink drivers these days? We’ve got a polish bloke at work that despite already having a ban for drink driving seems to think its acceptable to turn up for work most Mondays in such a state that he can barely do any work so i hate to think what his driving is like 👿

I go into work every week hoping that he’s crashed his car into a tree or something and died but no luck yet 🙁

maccruiskeen

How seriously do the police take calls about drink drivers these days?

You seem to be best placed to find out

thegreatape
    Free Member

Specific offence, separate from death by dangerous/careless, for causing death when drink driving. No details off top of my heap, but opsi and CPS websites for legislation and sentencing guidelines respectively if you want to look it up.

MarkBrewer – very, generally. Help them out with some details of his vehicle, journey times etc., they should do the rest.

irc

Drink drivers form a tiny minority of all drivers. Despite that they are responsible for 16% of road deaths. So while more needs to be done about all bad driving the emphasis on drunk driving is correct.

The only good news is that most often drink drivers kill themselves in single vehicle accidents. That still leaves some 5% of road deaths as being victims of drunk drivers.

Among those killed, the majority (71%) were drivers and riders over the legal alcohol limit of 80mg/100ml.

The Department for Transport says that this finding reflects the nature of drink drive accidents – more than half of deaths involve only one vehicle; that is, the one being driven by the offender, and no pedestrians.

http://www.keepmeontheroad.co.uk/blog/drink-drive-deaths-increase/

Sorry if that sounds callous but I can not find any sympathy for anyone who puts my life at risk by drink driving.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

You seem to be best placed to find out

MarkBrewer – very, generally. Help them out with some details of his vehicle, journey times etc., they should do the rest.

Thanks, you’re both right. I suppose knowing about it and doing nothing is just helping him get away with it really! If nothing comes of it i just need to find an unscrupulous local scrap dealer that doesn’t worry too much about needing documents etc 😆

epicyclo

I think drink drivers should be banned from driving cars for longer periods.

But they should be allowed to ride single seat powerful motorbikes instead.

Problem solved.

irc

For the OP – Crimestoppers will take drink driver info anonymously. Any drunk driver who can be found at a regular ttime and place is surely an easy catch for the local traffic dept?

0800 555 111

we also got a significant amount of information about theft, drink driving, immigration offences, wanted people, burglary and fraud.

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/misc/media-centre/news-press-releases/essex-continues-to-stand-up-against-crime-as-nearly-2500-calls-are-made-to-crimestoppers/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Drink drivers causing fatalities………..’ is closed to new replies.