Drilling out screws

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Drilling out screws
  • HELP!!!
    My oven element has gone kaput, but I can’t get to it due to the screws being corroded and rounded.
    My metal drill bits at low speed haven’t done much, but I think they may be crap.
    What are the best type of bits for this job??

stu170

HSS or a cobalt one at a slow speed

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

Ti coated metal drill bits, Dormer are good quality, keep their edge longer than the cheaper varieties and won’t snap or break too easily.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

I found sometimes running a metal bit in reverse can bite enough to shock the thread free so you can get the screw out.

TheDTs

Got a Dremel handy?
    Cut a slot for a flat driver or cut off the screw head?

Cheers! Bloody overpriced piece of shit er I mean Smeg!!!!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Left handed drill bits can be useful. I know it sounds like a joke, it’s not! But screws are tricky to drill, unless you’re happy to just take the head off, crosscutting the head often works better. Working on ovens is rubbish tbh

EZ outs are the answer quite cheap as well.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

if anything of the screw is protruding grip it in the jaws of the drill driver

allthepies

Use a screw remover ? i.e. drill a pilot hole and then screw in a left threaded removal screw.

Just reserved some EZ outs from screwfix 🙂

Premier Icon finishthat
    Subscriber

if the heads are on these are good

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productlist/2/78/grabit_screw_remover.html

cheap screw extractors usually cause more pain than gain.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Just my 2p worth. I bought some bomber z1’s with a snapped off brake boss in. Tried to use some cheap ez outs and they didn’t help at all. Couldn’t get them to bite.

Ended up using a cobalt bit to slowly drill the majority of the screw out. Then ran a tap through it to clear the remains of the screw out of the threads.

So far so good – the new brake boss screwed in fine and hasn’t pulled out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Drilling out screws’ is closed to new replies.