Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Drilling a carbon frame – will I die?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m thinking of fitting a dropper post to a carbon bike and don’t see why I can’t drill a hole in the seat tube to fit a stealth reverb. If I make a nice clean hole it will be fine, won’t it? Or am I going to leave this world with a shard of carbon up my arse?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I suspect you shouldn’t do it, and if you can, you’ll need to use the right method so-as not to bugger the laminate up.

Ask the manufacturer.

Rubber_Buccaneer

No manufacturer would ever say anything but no to a stupid idea like this 🙂 It’s an on-one whippet so nothing precious but I’d rather not destroy it. I would also rather not have a flappy hose. I’m feeling lucky so will most likely just do it.

hora
    Free Member

A lightweight frame? No. All to hide a cable? Brant will know.

Onzadog
    Free Member

ks lev?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes, you may well be in luck – if Brant designed it, he might be able to help you.

“BRANT. BRANT. BRANT!”

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d be happy having an extra hole in a carbon frame. It’s getting it there that might be tricky. I’d want something hard up behind the work piece to reduce any chance of delamination.

RobHilton
    Free Member

What are you riding that suits a whippet (nice and light) and requires a slidey seat post (heavy)?

singlesteed
    Free Member

Precisely what I was thinking, whats wrong with positioning a clamped post to suit xc riding!?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t ride anything that needs an uppy downy post, as an old school XC type I’ve always dismissed them too. I just fancy giving one a go in case I like it. Truth is I’ve always found it weird trying to ride with my seat post down but I’m so fussy over the height I’ve rarely given it a go.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Brant will know

He wouldn’t have if you hadn’t mentioned his name 🙂

brant
    Free Member

I didn’t design the whippet. Sorry.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Drilling a carbon frame – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.