• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dried stans on carbon rims
  • J273
    Free Member

Has anyone any tips on removing dried stans residue on carbon rims? being carbon i dont fancy using anything too harsh and damaging them.

Can anyone recommend anything as its a right pita to remove.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just removed a load of decals of my rims using this, would assume it will work on stan’s

http://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-external-adhesive-cleaner-250ml/254737_BQ.prd

Houns

Warm soapy water

J273
    Free Member

Yeah tried the warm soapy water and it wont shift it.

@Dirtyrider – Have you used that evo stik with carbon rims?

krixmeister

Hmm – I use warm soapy water and an old toilet brush. By old I mean one that’s been cleaning my bicycle for a couple of years, not one that was retired from toilet usage… Anyway – that works for me. You could also try a tiny bit of laundry detergent instead of dish soap.

Northwind

Bit of friction is the best way imo, it just rolls off if you rub it with a thumb. But you’ve got to be careful not to blister your fingers!

krixmeister

Hmm – I use warm soapy water and an old toilet brush. By old I mean one that’s been cleaning my bicycle for a couple of years, not one that was retired from toilet usage… Anyway – that works for me. You could also try a tiny bit of laundry detergent instead of dish soap.

scoobaru
    Free Member

IPA, or isopropyl alcohol is pretty safe and works better than soapy water. Use with an old towel/facecloth for a bit of lifting action. If you plan on servicing a shock/fork IPA is useful for cleaning that too.

J273
    Free Member

Thanks I’ve got some IPA so I’ll try that. Tbh I wouldn’t normally care and it’s been like this since I mounted the tyres months ago but thinking of selling them so could do with trying to remove it.

This stuff won’t roll off with a finger its properly baked on and nothing seems to budge it.

Will give IPA a try though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Yes I used the evo stick stuff on my ENVE rims

benpinnick

Xylene is the real deal for latex removal, it is however quite toxic and fairly pungent stuff. I’d buy a small can, treat it carefully and never use it indoors 😉

jonba
    Free Member

At the risk of being a massive chemistry pedant Xylene isn’t particularly toxic but it contains an amount (often large) of ethyl benzene which is. I wouldn’t use it on carbon rims though in any case as it is likely to damamge the top clear layer of resin.

Personally I’d try a pencil eraser before testing solvents.

nikk
    Free Member

Ride it. Wash it as normal. Done.

Or if you can’t do that, pick it off / rub it off with finger.

Next time, spray wheel with water when setting up tubeless. Helps spot leakage as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dried stans on carbon rims’ is closed to new replies.