• This topic has 38 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Dremeltrackworld
  • akasteve
    Free Member

Was thinking about buying a Dremel or similar.
    I’ve never had a Dremel so have no idea which model and tools or if there are any alternatives.
    Are they even any good?
    I could do the work with a saw and sandpaper but i think at my age i ought to own one of these gadgets.
    Its going to be used in the first instance for increasing the clearance to avoid wheel bite on a longboard that i’ve put larger wheels on. (i’m going to put a thicker riser on it but i think some woodwork will be inevitable.)
    What do you recommend?

footflaps

I bought a £20 cheapo imitation, it is pretty crap…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i use a basic genuine dremel(after having the displeasure of using a copy in an old job) with bits from aldi – aldi/lidl multitool pack is about 5 quid for hunners o bits where as the dremel stuff is REALLY expensive – even on the interweb.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bencooper
    Free Member

I use a Li-Ion one in the workshop a lot – the tools are pricey but good. If you go battery, a spare battery is very handy.

compositepro
    Free Member

i have one, i would love to say its awesome

but its for sale and has been used once…thats about my opinion of it

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of corded ones and they all broke eventually. I’ve replaced with a li-on version and it’s fantastic. It’s over a year old and get used all the time as it’s more manageable without the bloody cable getting in the way. It also means you can use it in the car or wile away from the house/ shed etc

Also, the li-on version have just as much grunt as the corded version but they are bit more ££££

Tiger6791

The cheap green battery one from Maplins has no torque.

Very handy but I wish I’d have bought a corded one or better quality battery as the lack of torque is frustrating

phiiiiil

I love my dremel. I honestly don’t know how anyone owns a house without one; I use mine all the time for loads of little cutting, sanding, filing, grinding, polishing jobs. Blummin’ brilliant. Mine is a cordless one; I think a corded one would lose a lot of the benefit.

akasteve
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,

i’ll check out the deals and usual Second hand/ for sale forums/ websites.

Second thoughts, i’ll check with my Dad first as everytime i buy a gadget he’ll say he has one that he never uses and i could have had!!

Which could be a completely new post…………

stumpy01

I got one from B&Q for about £50 and use it more than I thought I would; mainly for cutting through things that are too sturdy for a Stanley knife.

jamj1974

I have a corded one – cordless would be more convenient, but the lack of charging before a job is a bonus. Tools – especially attachments are eye-wateringly expensive. Use mine all the time it’s proven it’s worth many times. Not had any reliability issues either and mine is 8 years old.

akasteve
    Free Member

They sound like one of those gadgets that you buy for a specific job and then realise that you can use them for almost anything, although i’m drawing a blank at what else i’ll use it for at the moment.
    I’ll check them out anyway, cheers People.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yes good handy kit – buy a corded one as battery is pretty crap and like others have said lacks torque pretty quick. I managed to cut off some cranks on an old bike that had seized to the BB, I culd have spent hours with a drill and hacksaw but this made it much easier.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Got fed up with poor quality tat ( not had a genuine one mind )
    And got this and it never stalls

Makita gd0800c

It’s Stunning

eskay

Get a genuine one and the quick click (or whatever it is called) diamond cutting wheel.

CountZero

I’ve got a similar tool to a Dremmel, well, it’s one my dad bought, but never used, and I use it quite a lot, particularly when I made my little bushcraft knife. I’ve got one of the Lidl/Aldi tool sets, and it’s been invaluable.
    One accessory that Dremmel do, that would be really handy, is a stand that turns it into a small pillar drill, which can also turn the tool ninety degrees. Costs about £45, on Amazon, IIRC.

Stoner
    Free Member

*Bump*

Finally given in and decided I need one of these mini rotary tools for some work on the landrover (I know it’s not a hammer, but this job requires something a little more refined)

Ive got to go into Maplin today anyway and they stock el cheapo sets from £25ish, variable speed 135W.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/diy/power-tools/rotary-tools?sort=%3DMaplinProduct.price%7C0&productsPerPage=24#

I can also go past B&Q where they have the Dremel range, starting at £33 for the basic 200, £40 for the 3000 and a Ryobi for £50. Lidl is next door and they might have some accessory packs in stock, but it will be hit or miss.

I dont need the flexibility of a battery one, corded is fine as it will live in the workshop.

So cheap £25-30 135W + 100x accessory kit from Maplin, or bargin accessory pack for £10
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/400-part-rotary-accessory-kit-n63bx
    and a basic dremel 200 for £33 or Dremel 3000 for £40 + add a kit?

Davesport

I bought one of these when B & Q were knocking them out for 29 quid. Costco were doing nice cases full of attachments/consumables for about a tenner. The 3000’s quite a capable little machine for the money. The cheapest I can find these online is £39.00

D.

spacehopper

love dremels.. theyre so versatile.. use mine all the time!

I’ve had pretty much all of the dremel models and a few others.. they all break eventually…!

use a Draper i got from Wilko’s for £20 now.. its probably the best one ive had in terms of reliabilty.. but it does lack the lower speeds of the other makes.. and best of all its cheap.. 🙂

I always use genuine dremel attachments / bits etc though.. the cheap ones dont work half as well…

cranberry
    Free Member

Bargain accessory kits tend to be made out of cheese and not very strong cheese at that – I would avoid them. Dremel’s own accessories are much better quality making jobs shorter with a lessened likelihood of having broken bits of blade spinning off towards your eyes.

onandon
    Free Member

After having 5 non dremels I’d only buy a propper Dremel now.
    If cheap go for the mains powered or IMHO the li-0n 10v is the best of the bunch. Lots of torque and long battery life ( but £80)

I use mine pretty much every day and the battery power gives much more flexibility.

I’m sure others will be along shorty to say the exact opposite 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

dammit you two, you’re making this morning’s impending shopping trip sound expensive! 🙁

onandon
    Free Member

You can always take it back within 14 days 🙂
    Splash out, you know cheap tools are always shit.

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s why Im going back to Maplin today.

Bought a “cheap” (£100, cheap my arse!) inspection camera borescope to have a nose around inside my bellhousing before working out if I really need to open it up. Didnt work out of the box, now have to do a special trip to get one that works. Its not the cheapness but the lack of quality control – simple things like testing a sodding thing works would be a good start!

daftvader
    Free Member

I use the Axminster ones. Been heavily used for carving and all tge usual stuff. Comes with the extension too. Still going strong after 2 years

onandon
    Free Member

If you have a cost co account they have some decent borescopes in at the mo.

Northwind

Got a basic dremel with the snake attachment (really useful). agree that cheap tools don’t tend to last as well, the cutting wheels frinstance even if they don’t break wear far faster but they’re more brittle too. But sometimes you only need them to last a little while so it can still work out ok.

For serious grinding etc they’re not up to scratch but every time something happens like a damaged bolt needs a slot cut in it for a screwdriver, I’m glad to have it, it’s a massive stress reliever. (and not just better than a hacksaw for the cutting- the extra heat from the grind is useful too)

Stoner
    Free Member

Right then, I shall head out now, will report back later.
    Anyone want any weird branded shit from Lidl while Im there?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i personally havnt noticed much difference between my dremel cutting disks and my lidl “powerfix” ones.

– both like to explode into my faceshield if you move slightly while cutting.

Stoner
    Free Member

Well I completely ignored all of your advice chaps.
    Sorry.

But Lidl were doing a special on a cordless 9.6v unit with variable speed and a big box of goodies for £30.

I looked in B&Q first but couldnt bring myself to stump up £60 on the basic corded dremel and the tools were another £30+

I tried it out on the landrover GRP doors and it works well. The more I think of it, the more I wonder how I survived without one.

Yes torque is an issue, but then it seems if you use the right tool it matters not, The sandpaper rolls work particularly well without stalling the motor.

onandon
    Free Member

These lidl tool packs are actually pretty good for the general stuff like the sanding drums, flap wheels etc.

Enjoy 🙂

Northwind

The wee sanding wheels are very useful. Not too long lived generally but very handy.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks good, I’ve got a cheap one, and it’s utter crap sadly!

woodsman
    Free Member

I bought one last year and wish I had done so years ago! Mine is a kit that cost about £180 and came with a remote cable type drive (like a dentist’s drill) and various bits and bobs – spare chuck and loads of fittings/tools. It’s variable speed too.

Fantastic little thing!

Murray

What do people use Dremels for? Serious question, I’ve never had one and can’t think why I’d want one.

Northwind

Last used mine to shape a wee bit of filler. Before that, was removing paint from a frame. Before that was cutting a slot in the head of a damaged bolt. Before that I think was doing a quick tidy on a bit I’d done a wee bit of a rough job of in the lathe. Very versatile wee things.

daftvader
    Free Member

I use mine for small awkward jobs when I’m working with antler, small detailing on slate, engraving glass, it has a reciprocating head attachment for carving which I use when im feeling too lazy to use real chisels/knives, Polishing small bits of metal and bees waxing small bits of wood and antler. Its permanently set up in my garage with the snake attachment and gets used more than I ever realised it would….

onandon
    Free Member

I used mine to re-brush the bracelet on my watch today.

nuke

I use a Black & Decker Wizard (RT550)…probably getting on for 20 years old. Just googled it and they are still for sale, design hasn’t changed at all. Corded with adjustable speed and high torque….works very well.

Use mine loads…last few jobs have been cutting slots in seized rotor bolts, cleaning up a internal hub and this evening I was yp a ladder cutting a nail off on a soffit board as the head of the nail was hidden.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Dremeltrackworld’ is closed to new replies.