Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dremel – what's good to get?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Think I need a Dremel type tool for some frame doctoring and a few odd jobs.

What have you got? What’s worth getting? Seem a few different makes out there. Are the cheaper ones crap?

Thanks.

jemima
    Free Member

Bog standard corded Dremel branded Dremel for me. Can’t beat it and not that much more expensive than other brands.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also… is it a generally useful thing to have about once you’ve got one? Do you find you use it lots?

faustus

I have my eye on the Clas Ohlsen own brand one for £39.99, comes with lots of bits and bobs and worth a punt.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Multi-Tool/18-3579

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Ohh what’s a Dremel and why do I need one.

jemima
    Free Member

Also… is it a generally useful thing to have about once you’ve got one? Do you find you use it lots?

Mine is never put away. Just sits on my workbench full-time and becomes a go-to for so many things (I am a constant footerer though…).

I have also developed a minor dependence on collecting as many different accessories for it…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Clas Ohlsen own brand one

Reviews aren’t particularly encouraging.

Marko

Do you find you use it lots?

Nope. Had a ‘clone’ for years. I must have used it in anger at least 5 times. It’s a get out of jail tool really.

Marko

whitestone
    Free Member

Small (a little bit smaller than a pop can) hand held drill that runs at very high speed, think 30,000rpm. Lots of drills, burrs, sanding, polishing type parts to use with it. Folk do handcraft, arty type stuff with them – engraving, etc. Don’t get one thinking you could drill out a bearing race for example.

Got one as a present some years ago, don’t use it much as I don’t do much that requires such fine tools though I got one of the workstands recently which is well worth it as it’s a third hand.

dougieb
    Free Member

I bought a relatively cheap silverline one with lots of accessories. It was ok but not great and eventually broke as the pin the allows you to unscrew the bits wore down. I then bought cheapo one from Lidl which is absolutely rubbish.

Going to do what I should have in the first place and fork out for a proper dremel.

mrblobby
    Free Member

then bought cheapo one … which is absolutely rubbish.

Done that enough times with other tools.

Going to do what I should have in the first place and fork out for a proper dremel.

This is my current thinking!

jemima
    Free Member

Don’t get one thinking you could drill out a bearing race for example.

I have used one to cut out a bearing race 🙂 Probably wouldn’t advise it though…

mogrim

Bog standard corded Dremel branded Dremel for me. Can’t beat it and not that much more expensive than other brands

Same here. Don’t use it much, but every now and then it’s handy – last time was drilling a load of small holes in some plastic planter trays so I could attach a net to them.

I bought a cheapo supermarket-brand box of plastic-specific bits for it, rather than the expensive stuff. They seem to work OK, but then I don’t use them regularly enough for quality/durability to be an issue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well suited to frame mods and other footery tasks in soft materials.thats about it.

Much prefer my air die grinder. Has some grunt behind it but still controlable and manuverable.

Cant think of an occasion where ive pulled the dremel(i inheritaed) out its box since i got the die grinder.

mrblobby
    Free Member

air die grinder.

Hmm interesting option, may look into that.

Thanks all.

km79
    Free Member

I have used one to cut out a bearing race Probably wouldn’t advise it though…

Me too, with only some minor collateral damage!

BillOddie

I have a proper Dremel branded one, I think I have used it about 4 times.

Gets you out of the poo though.

lovewookie

I have a branded dremel, possibly the only decent thing my sister has ever bought me.

Use it maybe once every couple of months, when I’m not spannering for the shop. Good for stuck chainring bolts, slots in rotor bolts, cutting off chainrings, making bashguards out of old chainrings (removing the teeth) removing stuck cartridge bearings, with a bit of care.

also used it to polish up stuff too, the fine polish nibs can be good.

litespeedti
    Free Member

I have the Dremel brand. Useful for slicing into rounded off cleat bolts also used it for a touch of podiatry removing dried skin and a whizz for drilling into and getting at deep seated verrucas. Other than that pretty useless tool IMHO.

cdoc
    Free Member

Dremel is a really handy tool for all sorts of jobs, but it has its limitations.
    First up, the dremel brand flexidhaft is terrible. it dislikes bending past 90 degrees from the motor, slips a bit under heavy load and mine died pretty quick.
    The corded hand piece is good for light jobs, but a really tiny chuck limits you to ‘mini’ burrs and cutting discs, ect, also, while it will run at high speeds, it severely lacks torque when in use.

Must say, that I loved mine until I saw these: http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/foredom-kits-c-436_155.html

Totally different beast! If you end up using the dremel a lot, then they would be a worthy upgrade.

onandon
    Free Member

Over the years I’ve had a bunch of these. The only one I buy again if it ever broke would be the 10.2 v cordless Dremel.
    A bit more expensive but worth every penny.

Cordless is great for the little jobs in the car etc and you have the stipend wire in the way with more delicate work.

Lest
    Free Member

just got one of these

Tons of bits with it including a flexi drive extension for doing the kids fillings.

for the price I though it was rude not to

Drac

I bought one of the Lidl versions with an accessory pack. It’s superb and was much cheaper than a branded version. Normally I stick with main brand tool but it was worth the risk and paid off.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As mentioned if you have an air source a die grinder is a much much better option as it has tourque

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dremel – what's good to get?’ is closed to new replies.