Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Dredd
  • prawny

Heads up for any losers like me, it’s on Sky 3D on Friday. The wife is out on monday so that’s me sorted 😀 Might get some beers in.

fisha
    Free Member

Watched it recently, really enjoyed it.

As for the storyline comments, there is a good interview with the film writer and it talks about the story line decisions.

Long story short being that they didn’t feel that they could do a scorched earth story line ( or similar long term storyline from the comics ) justice in time of a single film, and instead chose a more single-comic story line of the single building plot.

As for the city, I felt that the mega blocks were too evenly spaced across the city when they showed the wide shots, made it feel false. Reality is that you’d get em clumped together in pockets like high rise flats are.

Must watch again soon.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I grew up with 2000AD and thought it was OK on the first viewing and very good on the second

what changed it for me was remembering that Dredd in the comic changed with comedy phases and dark phases

they got the darkness and some of the humour, a sequel would do better as the fan base will have grown

Drac

I thought it was awful so dull but yeah looked good

Northwind

I think the one thing you can say about Stallone’s Dredd is that they had the budget and the scope to do some things very right- so for all it was a disaster in a lot of ways, that was Mega City One. The new Dredd was a better film in every way so it’s a shame they didn’t have a chance to really hit the visuals.

mangatank
    Free Member

They’ve sold the costumes and props for Dredd, so it’s highly unlikely there’ll ever be a sequel. Pity.

Dredd has been done on film back in the 90’s, in the cutscenes for the not-very-good Judge Dredd lightgun game…

Judge Dredd 90s Movie

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I thought it was awful so dull but yeah looked good

two years in the isocubes for that sort of comment 😉

hora
    Free Member

Who bought the costumes and props?

On a different forum I was looking at comic con girls and there was a pic of two guys in exact Dredd comic book costumes. Bang on detail. Will look for it

AlexSimon

Oh I forgot:
    5) The Lawmaster motorbikes – awful. I know they didn’t have money, but it’s depressing that the closest that anyone’s got on film to the real thing* was on Batman!

(it’s real in my head)

prawny

hora – Member

I’m sure I read urban kept the helmet but that was it. Must have been on eBay

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought it was pretty average. Wish someone would do a decent Rogue Trooper movie though, could be much better than all the Marvel superhero crap.

binners

Always my favourite

I have absolutely zero confidence they would make an even half decent job of it film-wise though. Dredd is not bad. But its the best of some absolutely dire films when it comes to Hollywood tackling this type of thing

AlexSimon

I’m going to go back and watch the Stallone version.

AlexSimon

Just seen the budgets:
    Judge Dredd 1995: $90m ($143 adjusted for inflation)
    Dredd 2012: $45m

So approx a third of the budget. Although I think Stallone got $15m of the original which brings it down a bit).

Both films were a wasted opportunity imo – such amazing content but not enough confidence from hollywood to let it be its own thing.

Northwind

hora – Member

There was a big prop auction from one of the memorabilia places- I almost bought my brother a NO LOITERING BY ORDER OF THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT sign from the block, but it went a bit expensive. Some nifty stuff.

I was driving through Dingwall a while back and spotted a Stallone-Dredd H-wagon parked at the side of the road, bit odd.

z1ppy

[Damn just scanned though the thread and see I said the same thing 3 months ago…] I enjoyed it, the look (except the law master) was right but thought the story quite poor. An episode of a the comic rather than the under lying theme for a years worth of comic’s (how I’d expect a film to be). The Stallone one makes me cringe, the Angel gang & ABC warrior being brief glimpses of the original comic.
    I imagine most fans on here are fan of the comic.. I wonder what the later generation have to say

I wasn’t impressed by the Raid, 90% of a elite tactical squad killed within first 5 minutes, man so unreal 😯

PS: Again Rogue trooper was always my favorite.. and I wouldn’t want to see that made into a film.

Northwind

<Eagerly awaits Gronk film>

Russell96

Entire Dredd back catalog is now available on the iPad in 20 volumes.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/20/2000ad_puts_complete_dredd_on_ipad/

Cletus

I enjoyed Dredd by agree the bikes were bobbins.

Re. other 2000AD characters Sam Slade Robo Hunter would be great – perfect role for a youngish Eastwood

weare138
    Free Member

Slaine The Horned God would make a great 2000AD film.
    I liked the Stallone movie and have yet to see Dredd. Saw a clip,of the car chase and it looked good.

weare138
    Free Member

Slaine The Horned God would make a great 2000AD film.
    I liked the Stallone movie and have yet to see Dredd. Saw a clip,of the car chase and it looked good.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

MACH 1
    Wolfie Smith

2000AD is a goldmine of movie potential

colournoise

Del Toro doing a Nemesis movie would be awesome.

Probably the most ‘movie-able’ 2000ad character would be Halo Jones?

And I still think possibly the best Dredd film would be to use the ‘America’ storyline – for me that was when the character and world ‘grew up’.

crush83
    Free Member

Watched this for the first time last night. Thought it was good.

_tom_
    Free Member

The Raid was much better.

Harry_the_Spider

I think book 1 of The Button Man would make a great film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_Man

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Dredd’ is closed to new replies.