Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Drayton wiser system question
  • ed34
    Free Member

Got a Drayton wiser system with trvs on black Friday sale. Not fitted it all yet and may not keep the trvs as I don’t know if savings will offset the cost.

Anyway, if I have the wiser trvs fitted and i use the thermostat to boost the temp, does this override the trv settings, so will all rooms get a boost, or would I need to boost each trv as well?

zilog6128

You cannot directly control a TRV, they are assigned to a “room” and then you just set the temp or activate a boost for that room. Same with the thermostat… it’s not something you put in your hall and then it controls the entire house… they call it a room thermostat so again it is assigned to a particular room and controls that room only.

Workaround I guess would just be to have one room called “house” which everything is assigned to… that’s not really how the system is designed to work though 😃

IIRC there’s a button on the control unit that boosts the entire house at once.

It’s a great system IMO (see the many, many arguments threads on here about the relative merits of the different systems, zoning, etc) but if you weren’t going to bother with smart TRVs ever then possibly Nest is better? We have that at work, that is just a replacement smart thermostat that sits in the hall & controls the entire house at once – very basic, but perfect if that’s all you need.

ed34
    Free Member

Thanks. So have you put the trvs on all rads or do you leave a few as bypass ones eg towel rads in bathroom. I’ve got a bypass one in the hall where the thermostat is located.

I was thinking of fitting the trvs upstairs so not heating bedrooms in the day, can’t really afford to do all the rads at the moment at 40 quid per valve.

How much do you think it’s saving you?

sl2000

zilog6128 +1

I’ve got Wiser and don’t use the main thermostat. There’s not a button on the thermostat to boost the whole house so all mine does is turn the boiler on – which will do no good since all the TRVs are still off. I’m the only adult in my house so that’s fine. The children can use the TRV controls to heat the rooms that they’re in – you rotate the TRV top and it boosts that radiator for an hour.

The house I’m in now had Nest when I moved in and I replaced it with Wiser. The Nest thermostat is easier to use and prettier than the Wiser one but can’t use with smart TRVs so no good for me.

sl2000

I’ve got TRVs on all radiators. Don’t know how much it’s saving me since I fitted soon after moving in. I work from home, only heat the one room I’m working in and keep the door shut. It’s 17.5 in here at the moment and 12 to 13 in the rest of the house. I’ve spent 75p on gas so far today including standing charge.

zilog6128

Thanks. So have you put the trvs on all rads or do you leave a few as bypass ones eg towel rads in bathroom. I’ve got a bypass one in the hall where the thermostat is located.

yes… like you we had a bypass in the hall which is silly with a smart system as that’s the one place I don’t want to heat all the time! So got a neighbour who’s a plumber to put a TRV on that and move the bypass to the bathroom. Our house isn’t massive, only 8 smart TRVs needed so didn’t cost a fortune.

How much do you think it’s saving you?

can’t really answer that as I installed the system before our first winter in the new house! Getting a smart meter installed this week, maybe I’ll run some tests over a few days/weeks to see what kind of difference it makes. I know there’s a difference of opinion on here, links to geeky YouTube vids etc, my gut feeling though is it surely must cost less to heat 2 rads vs. 9 when e.g. the Mrs is WFH so only using 1 room for half the day? And generally we’re just in the living room in the evening so still only 1 room (plus bypass) being heated.

Initially I installed the system as my lockdown hobby was getting into home-automation, smart tech etc so it needed to be done 😃 But as energy costs have rocketed I’m sure it makes financial sense too. Just can’t quantify it at this stage!

you rotate the TRV top and it boosts that radiator for an hour.

yes OK good point, I’d forgotten that – all of my TRVs are behind stuff and not that easily accessible so we never use those controls! Does it literally just control each individual rad though, or if there were 2 or more linked together would it boost both (i.e. the entire “room”)?

sl2000

Does it literally just control each individual rad though, or if there were 2 or more linked together would it boost both (i.e. the entire “room”)?

It does the entire room.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.