Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Drawbacks to DW-Link?
  • sam_underhill

As there’s been so much discussion on suspension designs of late, I thought I’d ask a question of my own. I suspect some of the stuff described in the dw-link site are exagerated, but that may not actually make it wrong.

So are there any downsides to the DW-link design?

klunky
    Free Member

Cost of manufacture/RRP is high

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you wonder what the point of propedal is?

mudpup
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pivot Mach 4 DW link bike and have found it to be the best for me so far. I’ve owned most designs over the years (Klein Mantra URT, Haro Extreme single pivot (think Santa Cruz), Trek Fuel linkage activated faux bar, Stumpy four bar and Intense Spider VPP) and am enjoying the Pivot more than any of them so far. Theres no pedal bob, no noticeable pedal feedback and its really plush. You can run crazy sag – had 35% sag today as an experiment and there was no wallowy sogginess pedalling just buttery smoothness. It has an RP23 propedal shock but i’ve never felt the need for the propedal (even honking roads or bridleways) – i believe Pivot specced the RP23 shock because they believe it is the best performing air shock out at the moment regardless of whether you need the propedal function. My previous favourite was the VPP Intense which i thought was pretty special but the Pivot is a yard ahead again.
    Haven’t found any downsides yet.

Rickos
    Free Member

Can’t use a coil shock on the ‘trail’ bike DW links apparently due to the serious regressive rate at some point in the curve. Not sure how bad it would be on a coil though, you might be able to dial it out with a fandango new shock like a CCDB.

5spot
    Free Member

Plenty of turner’s with coil shocks!I have a 5spot with a rp23 as mentioned propedal is not needed.Had a few spots and about to get a 2011 frame,best Turner so far,only downside is cost and a small gain in weight 😆

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Very intrested in this as I’m looking to swap from a Horst-link bike to an ibis HD. Really would like to know more about not being able to run a coil, as I have always used a coil on my “bigger” bikes, have one on my 100mm travel bike and its great on that. My current bike came with an RP23 and I just couldn’t get on with it.

SteveCHT
    Free Member

My Iron Horse has the DW linkage. I love it. In my line of work I have ridden a lot of different full sus set ups. I can say hands down, the DW link really does work well, but as said above it does come with a high price tag.

kimbers

wait a minute i distinctly people complaining that turner going from hl to dw was the end of the world and a step backwards etc etc

scaredypants

kimbers, I think the original change was HLink to “Kona swingarm” wasn’t it ?

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m sure you get a coil shock tuned to suit, but you wouldn’t be able to whack on a Vanilla without any tuning work first. Probably. Give TF Tuned a call. In fact, if ChunkyMTB comes along I’m sure he’ll fill you in as he has a coil for his DW 5 Spot that he got from TF.

sam_underhill

Lovely. So, I just have to work harder / longer to afford one. Well… probably going to have a Flux anyway (subject to test ride) so don’t care about the coil stuff. Thanks for the input.

http://www.dw-link.com/reasons.html# is one of the worst examples of pseudo-science I have ever seen.

steve_b77
    Free Member

With reference to the above ‘science’ can someone please explain “Rapid chainstay length change” surely looking at this from maybe a very simplistic point of view how can a chainstay lengthen?

It’s a length of metal or even carbon (!) that, in the case of a normal 4/faux bar set up is fixed to the frame via the lower pivot and unless the chainstay someway flexes substantially under suspension forces the rearward pivot/joint connecting to the seatstay can’t alter in length. Or are we talking about perceived chainsty lengthening?

Or is it in reality how the ‘virtual’ length of the seatstay may alter due to the change in position of the upper link before it meets the link that drives the shock and the upper link moving closer to the lower pivot as the shock is compressed/wheel moves up.

Or do I just not believe the hype?

scaredypants

Is DW link anything like the giant trance ? – that’s ace, notwithstanding any pseudoscientific bollocks they may spout

Rorschach
    Free Member

Weagle vs Ellsworth in a-who spouts the most spurious technobabble bs competition.
    Who wins…..(geordie accent) yooooooo deeeeciiide.
    P.s Please god don’t let this be the start of another 300 post suspension for dummies diatribe (not that i did’nt read every post 😳 )

Rorschach
    Free Member

I thought of one-all dw bikes are ugly-including Ibis Mojo (runs for cover).

mrmo
    Free Member

the length of a chainstay physically can’t change, but due to geometry the distance from the bottom bracket to the dropout can change. Remember that the pivots are usually not at the dropout or bottom bracket. Take the usual high mounted single pivot, as the swingarm rises the distance from bottom bracket to dropout grows a little at first. that is basically what they are talking about.

So to answer the question it is about effective length not real length.

as for whether dw-link is good or bad, the answer is probably yes and no, depends on the rider and what they expect. Don’t believe the marketing, it is there to SELL.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nah – Turner Sultan is a thing of beauty in a monster truck stylee.

mrmo
    Free Member

my final contribution, i seem to remember every version of Turner bikes being proclaimed the best, yet forgetting to mention why they changed the design.

It is marketing, bike designs have to change to justify selling new products to middle aged IT bods with large disposable incomes, but not a lot of time and who are trying to find things that will make them “better” riders.

dano
    Free Member

I think Turner were forced to change design away from horst as they no longer had a contract to run the design, they then looked around and designed the frame around the DW link.

martinxyz
    Free Member

They had TNT in between those. To be honest,after riding horst back to back with all the exact same kit on a tnt version..i would go for a tnt.
    anyone selling a flux in med?

kiwijohn

It just works. I’ve been riding my Iron Horse Mk III for 4 years now, which is the cheapest DW link bike you could get.
    Apart from the swingarm cracking in 2 places & the company going under, they’re a great ride at a bargain price.
    No fancy shock, just a Float R, which is all it needs. Mine has been welded back together because I can’t afford anything as good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As I’ve argued previously, DW and Maestro have a lot in common with single pivot designs.

Which also work very well 😎

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

is the common bit that they have pivots?

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

if you can’t work it out I’m not explaining it!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    As I’ve argued previously, DW and Maestro have a lot in common with single pivot designs.

So do humans and monkeys…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Like I said tree, if you refuse to apply your brain… 😀

tree-magnet
    Free Member

*bodypops out of thread*

cynic-al
    Free Member

What do humans and monkeys have in common with single pivot, DW and Maestro suspension systems?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

single-pivot designs characteristically require platform shocks to perform well, dw-links don’t – that implies a fundamental difference…

cynic-al
    Free Member

It implies you believe what you read in the magazines more like…

ahwiles
    Free Member

wtf is a DW-link?

surely you mean the Edge-link?

sam_underhill

To me, that looks like a DW link, but I suspect there is a reason why it isn’t. Probably something to do with axle part or something.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I don’t buy magazines…

ahwiles
    Free Member

the reason that the Edge bikes aren’t DW-links is because the Edge design is older.

that’s right, the ‘DW-link’ was designed in Sheffield.

they even messed around with ‘co-pivots’ and ‘full-floating’ designs.

brant
    Free Member

the reason that the Edge bikes aren’t DW-links is because the Edge design is older.

that’s right, the ‘DW-link’ was designed in Sheffield.

they even messed around with ‘co-pivots’ and ‘full-floating’ designs.
    What went wrong?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m not entirely sure, their business strategy was perhaps a little agressive…?

from memory: the first batch of bikes was delivered 6months behind their business-plan-schedule.

their sales went according to the planned curve, but 6months behind.

this was enough for the bank to pull the plug.

one of the Edge blokes is still messing around with bike design, he’s an actual genius. the stuff he’s doing is the stuff the rest of us talk about in the pub when we’re having the ‘what will bikes look like in 10 years’ conversation.

and he’s one of the most skilfull riders i’ve ever seen.

what a git.

heihei

DW Link is the best design I’ve ridden to date. I haven’t found any major downsides yet, over and above things like added complexity over single pivot designs.
    BTW whilst many of the DW designs have been built around using an air can, coil shocks work well – I ran a CCDB on my 5-Spot and was blown away with the improvement it made. The Mojo HD can also be run with a coil, with Ibis recommending a Fox RC4, but having spoken to Cane Creek, you can also make sensible adjustments to them to adapt it.

klunky
    Free Member

FYI Edge bikes were designed to mimick the idrive in terms of suspension action and the first gen DW link predated them… just.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Drawbacks to DW-Link?’ is closed to new replies.