Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Drafting – term of abuse for someone who won’t take their share of leading
  • youshouldknowbetter
    Free Member

I’m sure I once heard a name- on tv coverage of the tour if IRC –  for people who don’t take their fair share at the front of a group.Was having a discussion with a mate about this and couldn’t remember the term. Anyone know?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wheel. Sucker?

The clever one?

Bez

Donkey ****** **** eater?

whitestone
    Free Member

Wheelsucker. Think of it as the roadie equivalent of mincer.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Cheese-eating surrender monkey.

LeeW

Lazy git?

otsdr
    Free Member

I think they’re called the sprinter? Or the yellow jersey?

jonba
    Free Member

I’d go with wheel sucker.

It isn’t clear cut. In the break you are part of a complex game. Sometimes it is obvious you share the work if you are all equal. However if you are in a break of 3 with 2 riders from the same team would you? If you were in the break with good sprinter would you drag them to the line sure in the knowledge they’ll beat you in the gallop. At what point do you stop worrying about the chasing bunch and start thinking about the finish? What if you are a weaker rider or not feeling it. What if you can bluff being weaker, what if the other guy is?

jruk
    Free Member

“The rider wishing they’re on their proper bike”?

dovebiker

Depends on the race situation – if it’s a multi-day race then the leader’s team may put a ‘policeman’ into a break containing a potential rival to help control the situation – its an accepted part of racing / team tactics.

If it’s just a 1-day race and you’re in a break and someone is just soft-tapping and not taking their turn then quite strong words are often exchanged, particularly if they’re hanging on for the sprint.  The simple solution is just to attack on the next hill in the hope they get dropped.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I believe the correct term is “turn on the front”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Drafting – term of abuse for someone who won’t take their share of leading’ is closed to new replies.