Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Drafting **** game or what
  • alwhit
    Free Member

So out on the road bike on my own turn on to a road with a fellow cyclist in front leave a big gap but first hill catch him over take straight away say ” morning forgot my glasses this morning” keep going he just drops on my wheel for about a mile says nothing so slow down til he over takes let him go big gap but guess what next hill catch him over take straight away say alright again he just drops on my wheel for next mile says nothing come to junction he goes one way me the other not a word
    so is he a knob or should i just expect that sort of thing ????

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

calm down dear!
    it would have been better if he’d made small talk but its hardly the end of the world.

judging how you caught him up each hill he might just be pleased to keep up with a fellow cyclist for a while.

Jamie
    Free Member

” morning forgot my glasses this morning”

Is this code?

so is he a knob or should i just expect that sort of thing ????

i don’t think anyone comes out of this too well.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Some talk to you some don’t, the decent ones take a turn in front the less decent ones just use your tow. Happens when commuting or on a big day ride. I try not to let it bother me too much.

alwhit
    Free Member

I’m not the best small talker so genuinely forgot my sunglasses it was all I could think of

Tracker1972
    Free Member

So you deliberately slowed and forced him to the front, then overtook him on the next banking hill?

Did I misread this, was it a track sprint?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like you beat him pretty well anyway. He was probably breathing so hard that he wasnt able to talk. Probably thought you were a **** for chatting and overtaking him.

aP
    Free Member

It’s ok, he was just looking at your arse. Does that disturb you?

alwhit
    Free Member

No no slowed a bit he went off I stayed at my pace he was just shit up hill fast on a straight

Losidan
    Free Member

I was out testing how my tt bike rode with some borrowed wheels before an event a bit back. I came up and took over a chap who promptly jumped in my wheel. I just let him take the tow and waved as I rounded the roundabout to go back.
    Same thing happened at an event. I just let em and leave em be if they want to play it that way. No skin off my nose.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Let him slipstream you but wind it up and look professional, 25mph+, top half rock solid, legs like pistons and make it look effortless. If he is still there after a few miles then flick the elbow so he can do a turn. Failing that light the afterburners and unleash the beans leaving him in a ball of snot on the next hill. 8)

When I was out in France this year I had some old boy jump on my wheel climbing out of a village. We rode together for he next ten miles or so. He was an animal and we were taking our turn on the front. He didn’t speak English and me no French but we both knew the crack. 😀

alwhit
    Free Member

You know never thought about that looking at my arse makes me feel warm inside

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I fire a fair few snot rockets about when im on the road bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So out on the road bike on my own turn on to a road with a fellow cyclist in front leave a big gap but first hill catch him over take straight away say ” morning forgot my glasses this morning” keep going he just drops on my wheel for about a mile says nothing so slow down til he over takes let him go big gap but guess what next hill catch him over take straight away say alright again he just drops on my wheel for next mile says nothing come to junction he goes one way me the other not a word

Have you heard of punctuation?

crosshair
    Free Member

I got passed grinding my new road bike up Streatley hill the other day. I can manage 6mph up there on the MTB but was barely pushing 2.5 on the mighty Triban. Anyway, I latched on for a tow for the next three miles. I wanted to talk; really I did but breathing was enough trouble as it was. When I finally recovered, I tried to do a stint on the front but accidentally launched a Cav-esque attack up one of my favourite gradual slopes and left him for dead (I know, I know, he prob wasn’t playing). Anyway, when we finally did chat I came out with my best nonchalant small-talk “This is only my second ride on a road bike!” He however trumped me with “Yeah I prefer MTB too- cracked my ribs at Afan the other day so just out for a 100k spin” 🙁 😉

I don’t think there is form- just don’t ram into anyone I guess??

deluded
    Free Member

I’m not a language pedant by any stretch, but please disambiguate, structure and organise your written communications in the future.

Your post is not inviting of a reply.

aP
    Free Member

I was riding in the Veneto last weekend, an Italian who I’d never met beforecame up and joined me, I sat on his wheel until the look, elbow waggle, look, off the front, then I drove for a bit at the same speed, did my turn look, elbow, look, off the front and time for the next man and back down the line. There weren’t even any children killed.
    Are you so massively insecure that you need reassurance that acting just the way that all new road riders do is how it’s really supposed to be done?

alwhit
    Free Member

As its Sunday abit tired few wines rant over bit thick manual job you’ll just have to live with it

oldgit
    Free Member

You just ride at your own pace, sometimes that might mean a bit of yo-yo’ing. You don’t know anything about him and visa versa. Though often if the ride is long you might end up working/riding together.

Yeah I prefer MTB too- cracked my ribs at Afan the other day so just out for a 100k spin”

Which is a lie because one simply doesn’t mention the distance they’re doing. Always always always let the other man think you’re a weed, and that they’re great.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think you now realise things could have been a lot worse, OP. As you could have had someone behind you staring at your arse and correcting your sentence structure.

Your post is not inviting of a reply.

18 replies later….

deluded
    Free Member

Good edit Jamie 😀

You were wise to count them up again.

shifter
    Free Member

When I was out in France this year I had some old boy jump on my wheel climbing out of a village. We rode together for he next ten miles or so. He was an animal and we were taking our turn on the front. He didn’t speak English and me no French but we both knew the crack.

Edukator probably 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

Loving the little stories within this thread 🙂

this may be of use.
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

No 1
    No 5
    No 19

🙂

righog
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    You just ride at your own pace, sometimes that might mean a bit of yo-yo’ing. You don’t know anything about him and visa versa. Though often if the ride is long you might end up working/riding together.

Yeah I prefer MTB too- cracked my ribs at Afan the other day so just out for a 100k spin”

Which is a lie because one simply doesn’t mention the distance they’re doing. Always always always let the other man think you’re a weed, and that they’re great.

Agree with every word of this.

Today I went for a road ride ( first for a while ) and had a pint. When riding the short distance home there was someone in front going very slowly indeed, As I passed him, I said hello, I also noticed he was singlespeeding, we had a very quick chat and he said ” it’s fixed” then he proceeded to really put the hammer down and left me for dead, I have no illusions as to how fast I am and he looked way fitter than me. It did get me wondering if his change of speed part was a planned training exercise, or he just did not like being passed ? It was one of the odder experiences I have had meeting a solo rider.

alwhit
    Free Member

You see i usually ride a lone or with a mate
    so like a virgin this was my first time
    next time will just refer to number 5 of the rules 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Oldgit- I swear its true although it might have been in two sentences rather than one that he gave me the distance. He was a New-Zealander with an Omega Pharma Quick-Step jersey on and was seeing how he felt before the Southern Sportives New Forest Sportive. He was by this point a bit lost and looking to get back to Reading which is why we chatted.
    I could have rode the same way as him to get home but I needed a breather so I sent him a different way 😀 lol

oldgit
    Free Member

Wasn’t calling you a liar, anyway just jesting.

acehtn
    Free Member

Rule 67 “do your time in the wind” he was in the wrong alwhit 🙂

Rule 26 is soooo STW

Sandwich

Don’t forget the chap in front gets an aerodynamic benefit from the drafter.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I always end up wondering if I look like a **** when I overtake people as I’m generally on the rivet and look ruined! Last person I overtook I offered my wheel and we worked together for about 7 miles, kinda made my ride actually.

crosshair
    Free Member

😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This thread is another good reason why I don’t ride with other roadies. If i go out on the road bike I ride at my pace & don’t try to fit in with someone else’s ride.
    When I’m on the MTB in a group, no-one gets all huffy about who’s at the front/fastest/slowest/better on techy stuff/faster on rocky descents/blahdy blahdy blah…

crosshair
    Free Member

I must admit, I get far more pleasure from my encounters with other roadies than I do stress. Most of the time the joke is on me as I try and cling to their skinny back wheel on my Rocket Rons 😀

Losidan
    Free Member

I had a good one earlier in the year doing a medium gear 10. I saw a bloke on a road bike coming into the roundabout I was from another road. He looked quick and very nice bike. Not unsurprising to me at the next roundabout I realised he had been sat in for the preceeding mile or so. I dig in for the last mile stretch and expected to get passed but didn’t. As I was cruising after the finish wretching he sidled up and said “bloody hell I couldn’t get near you on that last bit”

We chatted all the way to hq where I pulled in. Suppose I could of been narked off he drafted me earlier but starting the conversation with a compliment is always winner!

What’s the policy on passing roadies when you’re on your mtb? I’ve had that before and decided to hang backrrather than pass the old chap on his road bike. If it happened in reverse it’d take the wind right out of mysails

crosshair
    Free Member

@esselgruntfuttock That’s because there’s nowhere to hide on the road, your ‘skill’ is your fitness. I have this argument with @Weeksy all the time and it’s why the ‘it’s all cycling’ camp are slightly wrong. You need to ‘use’ other roadies to enhance your fitness- at least if you blow-up, your time doesn’t get plastered on a website ;):D

crosshair
    Free Member

@Losidan I must admit when out for a training ride on MTB’s with a mate, I spotted a roadie in the distance. It took me two miles to catch and pass him! It was an old boy with a Newbury Cycling Club jersey on. Anyway, I kept the hammer down and then suddenly remembered my mate 😀 Pulling in to the next lay-by, I had to do the ‘pretend mechanical’ thing as “I’m waiting for a mate” might not have cut the mustard 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

What’s the policy on passing roadies when you’re on your mtb?

I just pass them but never race them ,they must be crap to get taken by a MTB.

If it happened in reverse it’d take the wind right out of mysails

Unless it was a pro doing a resistance ride I would die of shame.

warton
    Free Member

No no slowed a bit he went off I stayed at my pace he was just shit up hill fast on a straight

Maybe he was expecting you to take his wheel for a bit?

oldgit
    Free Member

What’s the policy on passing roadies when you’re on your mtb?

Isn’t one, but I can tell you it don’t go down too well. I did a 65 mile sportive on my MTB complete with knobblies. Just finished a road season, just back from a week in the Pyrenees so was going pretty good. I confess I started to show off, and a few were getting peeved before being dropped. And it was resistance training for me, with cross the next month.

Jamie
    Free Member

You were wise to count them up again.

I just wish the editing window was longer than 15 mins 🙁

p.s 39.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Drafting **** game or what’ is closed to new replies.