• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dr Who *SPOILER*
  • Harry_the_Spider

Well, I thought that was ace!

ThePinkster

Hmmm… enjoyed a lot of it but chunks just seemed unnecessary (e.g. don’t see what the forced regeneration brought to the story) and seemed like too many jumps without explanation of what was going on for me.

Perhaps I’m just getting too old for it?

colournoise

First hour great, last 10 minutes did its job, but the bit in between was pure Chibnall deus ex machina technobabble nonsense.

Did like the way they integrated previous doctors and companions though, rather than the usual timey wimey excuses to get them together.

Cougar

The plot was, of course, nonsense. The science was up there with “the moon is an egg.”

That elephant out of the way… it was clucking brilliant. It will have confused the pish out of everyone who thought the show started in 2005 but that’s not what it was for, it was a BBC anniversary love letter to the show and it delivered that in spades. The

Spoiler:
    cameos in the the AA meeting at the end were beautiful, Mel, Jo… Ian Chesterton was in the very first episode, that’s a claim to fame right there.
    Ambrose

Always torn with Dr Who. the programme does not interest me at all but my son is one of the electricians who makes the tardis do whatever is required in the plot. Gets his name in the credits and stuff, last year he got a dalek wrangler prize! Cool job, proud dad.

dyna-ti

the program does not interest me at all but my son is one of the electricians who makes the tardis do whatever is required in the plot.

Does he double as a scenery shaker ? 😆

Caher

Kinda think it reached its modern zenith in the Christopher Eccelstone/David Tennant era.

kelvin

Kinda think it reached its modern zenith in the Christopher Eccelstone/David Tennant era.

There might be some good news for you then…

colournoise

Eccleston is still (so far) the best modern Who – the only actor who has really captured the fact that The Doctor is actually an alien. For my money Troughton was good in this regard too but in a quite different way. Capaldi leant into that idea quite hard at times but it didn’t work as well for me.

Whittaker could have been very good, but was generally hamstrung by Chibnall’s writing.

Hoping RTD recaptures some of his Eccleston/Tennant vibe without getting hung up on everything being too ‘RTD’…

thepurist

And colournoise’s faves were notably missing from any form of recognition – as were Pertwee and Baker. (Obvious reasons for some of them!) I find it harder to watch these days, it’s all shouty shouty and plot jumps then wave a sonic screwdriver at stuff and finally get the doctor to deliver a morality message for the kids.

dudeofdoom

And colournoise’s faves were notably missing from any form of recognition – as were Pertwee and Baker. (Obvious reasons for some of them!) I find it harder to watch these days, it’s all shouty shouty and plot jumps then wave a sonic screwdriver at stuff and finally get the doctor to deliver a morality message for the kids.

TBH I didn’t get why they didn’t deep fake all the doctors,It was nice to see the old duffers but that was just a crowd pleaser for the old school.

dudeofdoom

IMHO Tom Baker did the best morality message with the wire scene and the Daleks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhh, really didn’t get it.

it’s all shouty shouty and plot jumps then wave a sonic screwdriver at stuff and finally get the doctor to deliver a morality message for the kids.

dudeofdoom

TBH I think we have Rose coloured spectacles on for some of the early stuff, there was a lot of filler and no killer but there were some definitely good stories ‘Genesis of the Daleks’,The Green Death,The Spider one, the ones with the daleks with machine guns,The one where the daleks were invisible, I like the modern stuff but it definitely went downhill story wise as it went on and the stories were just too overscaled, oh look the Cyberman are invading earth again,3rd time this month.

Cougar

I find it harder to watch these days, it’s all shouty shouty and plot jumps then wave a sonic screwdriver at stuff and finally get the doctor to deliver a morality message for the kids.

Best steer clear of the older ones then.

dudeofdoom

Hmm I suppose its a kids program but meh 🙂

Cougar

I like the modern stuff but it definitely went downhill story wise as it went on and the stories were just too overscaled, oh look the Cyberman are invading earth again,3rd time this month.

I agree that the classic monsters are overused, or at least it feels that way. Also, “we have a machine which can go anywhere in time and space, set coordinates for… early 21st Century London (or previously, Cardiff)”.

Harry_the_Spider

Thought that Sacha Dhawan was on form as The Master too. Properly unhinged. When the Cyberman and the Dalek exchanged a look as he was going full on Boney M disco crazy was a proper laugh out loud moment. I hope that they can weave him back into future stories.

kelvin

I was quite please when he became “the Doctor”… was hoping the rest of the episode was going to have him as the lead character… he could have carried the show. Believably a megalomaniac Timelord, rather than a just a human who happens to know a lot about alien tech. Music choice for that scene made me laugh out loud.

lovewookie

I pretty much exited Dr Who after tennant, but looking forward to where it goes now.

Matt Smith killed it for me. Pushed it backwards, even further than Eccleston’s alien wheeliebins and made it even more CBBC than ever. maybe I saw him as an imitation tennant, don’t know. Capaldi was good, but the writing was dire. Whittaker was a good one, again, stunted by writing and doctor-splaining..but you could get hints of how well she could have played it. I actually managed to watch a couple of episodes with her at the helm, but got put off by the companions. they seemed a bit shallow and underdeveloped compared to the previous lot.

tthew

Just watching it on catch-up now. Is the sound absolutely bloody awful with all the dialogue drowned out by the dramatic background music, or is this LG telly in out air BnB just crap?

Plus mumbling. 🤦

somafunk

or is this LG telly in out air BnB just crap?

Undoubtedly yes but perhaps someone has changed the in built sound option to a music setting which will boost lower frequencies

RustySpanner

No, the dialogue was masked pretty badly on catch up.

Need to watch it again, seemed a bit disjointed and oddly paced.

Enjoyed it though.

Capaldi and Ecclestone for me.
    Tennant a bit messianic,

Jodie was superb, I enjoyed the odd, surreal episodes best.
    This one definitely needed less running and more frog.

Struggled with Matt Smith.

Cougar

Just watching it on catch-up now. Is the sound absolutely bloody awful with all the dialogue drowned out by the dramatic background music, or is this LG telly in out air BnB just crap?

I’m glad you said that, I wondered if it was just me. I was struggling to hear dialogue over the music, I had to change the TV settings (from ‘standard’ to ‘clear voice’). LG telly also, if that has any bearing on anything.

AdamW
    Free Member

How did Tegan survive the fall down the elevator shaft?

colournoise

Magic, or Timey Wimey stuff, or overriding needs of the narrative, or just Chibnall’s dodgy writing?

To be fair, she did groan and wince a tiny bit when she staggered into the control room…

kelvin

How did Tegan survive the fall down the elevator shaft?

She had the same base jumping chute as Ace, they were both sent up to the roof with them.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.