Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Dr. Marten boots or…
  • the-muffin-man

…what else?

I’ve seen some alternative brands recommended on here before but I can’t recall what they were.

I like DMs, but not keen that they can’t easily be re-soled (economically).

Ta!

zippykona

My local shoe mender put combat soles on my DMs no problem.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What are you doing to wear out DM soles ? I am very heavy on my feet / shoes and mine last donkey’s years.

tjagain

I wear out a pair of doc every year – but then they are my work shoes and I walk 10 miles a day at work

timber

Had some Blundstone recommended, but weren’t quite for my foot shape, so went with DM’s for Chelsea boots.

vinnyeh

Jambalaya in DM’s 😆

the-muffin-man

Current pair of DM shoes have been worn for 18 months ish.

Worn pretty much every day though, but hardly any grips left on the sole now.

dmck16
    Free Member

Eyeing up a pair of Solovair boots currently. Pretty much DM’s but apparently better quality.

simondbarnes

I like DMs, but not keen that they can’t easily be re-soled

Get the for life versions?

hot_fiat

Either the 4life or the uk made 4160. My current pair have lasted for ages. They’re just subtly different to the Chinese made 8-holes. Still can’t get my head around the cost!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@vinney they are my work shoes, DM shoes not boots fwiw. It’s fair to say I don’t recall anyone else wearing a pair in “the city”. @TJ I probably walked about 3 miles a day in mine, most of that on the commute.

tdog
    Free Member

Cats as in Caterpillar boots are damn good quality for the money and are more comfy than stiff Timberlands but apparently that’s mainly down to bedding in reasons.

Wouldn’t ever touch DMs personally unless I wanna scream skin head or I’m a tranny …

Loaodsa fakes or just rubbish quality ones made from elsewhere so has been posted up on some shoe site somewhere.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’d buy the for life ones. £150, but they’ll keep on going forever. Same price as buying two pairs.

Make sure you buy a colour you like!

nickhit3
    Free Member

just bought a pair of DM Gaucho commando soles online- bargains can be found, about 45/50 off RRP. Had to replace a 18 mo old pair of 1460’s only because the sole was like a mirror in the wet.. but there’s a ton of life in them. The commando sole is great. Love DM’s

deadkenny
    Free Member

Its not class or ideology, colour creed or roots, the only thing that unites us, is Doctor Martens boots.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Just got a new pair of DMs after three weeks they have broken my feet in…

the-muffin-man

nickhit3 – where did you buy those from?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get the for life versions?

I was looking at those and most of the reviews point out that despite the sole being thicker (and less comfortable) and the upper being thicker (and less comfortable) the tread still wears out first. At which point they charge £35 for a new pair whereas you could get a perfectly good pair of normal DM’s resoled for £70.

zippykona

This cost around £20.

organic355
    Free Member

Did Docs aver come in the waxed leather version, that you can fold over and wear loose, for men? Not too keen on the super shiny black versions!

I kinda want a mens version of these Triumph 1814s

nickhit3
    Free Member

nickhit3 – where did you buy those from?

bought new on ebay. consistently the cheapest way to find some brands i’ve found so far. the seller in my case was ‘mrpainterman’

wearing them now. toasty feet on this filthy day.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Eyeing up a pair of Solovair boots currently. Pretty much DM’s but apparently better quality.

I’m sure I got an email from solovair a couple of months ago to say they were going out of business. Anyway I have a pair of ‘for life’ dm shoes and find them very comfortable.

plyphon
    Free Member

Red Wings here ❗

Though I wear them in a fashion/casual capacity rather than a working boot. I have a pair of Heritage Rovers. Well comfy like.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m waiting on the arrival of some Redback workboots, only read pretty much good reviews on them.

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/work-boot-ubok-dark-brown.html

Currently wearing some DM Conrads and although the uppers look like they will last for ever the soles already appear pretty worn,I know a decent cobbler so hoping he can do something with them when the soles too worn.

maccruiskeen

Did Docs aver come in the waxed leather version,

They did. My brother had a pair about 25 years ago. 🙂

jeff

Shame DMs don’t come in half sizes. Spent ages deciding between size 9/10, went for the 10, now a few months down the line after breaking them in, they are too big for me 🙁

Going to keep an eye on this thread and look at non-DM options

mike399
    Free Member

They do – I’ve just bought some 9.5 DMs, you just need to find a stockists.

jeff

This was in Dr Martens Oxford Street shop! I think I’ve been sold a pup.

bruk

I go with a couple of pairs of Blundstones and usually get several years out of them. Recommended them to one of my farm colleagues who was a boot killer and he loves them.

I probably only do 6 or 7 miles a day in them however.

Blundstone 550

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Timberlands £130:

Safety boots £42:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-savannah-waterproof-safety-boots-tan-size-10/7844p

I’d put money on the Timberlands being no better built, so why can’t I buy a decent pair of boots (without the reinforced sole, steel toe cap etc) for £40?

retrobri
    Free Member

I’ve been rocking a pair of Solovair’s too, decent boots, take a while to break in mind but look the part
    https://www.solovair-shoes.com/

Jump The Gun in Brighton sale their Hawkins boot which is sweet also!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Dr. Marten boots or…’ is closed to new replies.