Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • DPD – King of Couriers?
  • franksinatra

Ordered a new mobile in store yesterday, told it would be posted out by DPD.

Email from DPD yesterday saying it would be delivered today, I knew I would be out so chose option for it to be delivered to a neighbour (able to specify which one.

Email just now confirming it Driver Ian will deliver between 10.38am and 11.38am. Was able to easily track to see he is on delivery No. 1. Mine is No. 37. Map shows that he is out in the sticks just west of Hawick. Soon I will get a 15min delivery window so, if I really needed to, I could pop home to meet him. If I was interested, I could see in detail the journey it has taken so far from warehouse to dept to local depot to van.

More info than you can shake a stick at. One day, all delivery companies will be like this…

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Agreed.

We had two items delivered over the last couple of days and their email communication and tracking software is excellent. Takes away the “have I wasted a day off” feeling.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Yep excellent service always, never had a smashed up parcel either and the drivers, although usually in a rush, are always polite/friendly. A lesson to all the others.

cranberry
    Free Member

+1 they have always been very good when I’ve used them in the UK.

dazzlingboy

Yep +1. Love that tracking thing – I’ve used it a couple of times to

pop home to meet him

Works like a charm.

Rio

Is this the same DPD that failed to deliver some forks to me because they “couldn’t find the address”, even though they’d delivered something the previous day, and who updated the delivery details to say they’d left a card at the address they couldn’t find?

tbf they do seem to be better than most but if you ever need to contact them by phone to find out why it’s gone wrong, plan to spend the whole day at it.

franksinatra

Ian is now on delivery No. 4, near Selkirk. He is approximately 2hrs 15min away from me so right at the top end of his delivery estimate slot.

It is like the NORAD Santa tracker but real!

bookwyse
    Free Member

This is the same DPD that I sent a parcel with on Friday, was able to track it until yesterday but it has now disappeared with them not being able to identify the tracking number. This is despite the fact that THEY gave me the tracking number……..

somouk
    Free Member

My best mates wife works for DPD so she keeps a track on most things I have coming in which helps. From what she says they are certainly trying to be the best out there and are investing millions in new sorting hubs which will only make things better.

They are certainly better than most of the other options out there although collect plus have been very good lately.

franksinatra

Ian is now less than 1km away from my house but only on delivery no.14 (I’m no.37)

MrOvershoot

DPD have always been excellent in my experience, I’m sure there will be a few cockup stories but as others have said their tracking system is pretty bloody good.
    Perhaps I’m just lucky but we always seem to get the same driver “Chris” who knows the script if I’m not in so I don’t get “failed to deliver” notes.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Go Iam !!.

martinhutch

I’ve always found them to be excellent.

craigxxl
    Free Member

A mate of mine drives for them and is often parked up waiting so they can make a deliver in the allocated time slot rather than be early or late.

franksinatra

A mate of mine drives for them and is often parked up waiting so they can make a deliver in the allocated time slot rather than be early or late

That explains how they often arrive on the minute they have estimated then

Ian update. Just a couple of streets away but still 9 drops to go.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really like DPD, seem to be spot on with any delivery ive had, and the new feature of live tracking is a great tool, it definitely works too and is pretty accurate!

ransos
    Free Member

Parcel2go (using Yodel) gave me a 12-hour collection window and didn’t turn up. They then claimed to have attempted collection (no card left, someone in all day). DPD gave me a 1-hour delivery window, and turned up on the dot.

cheers_drive

DPD are very good compared to the courier industry norm.

mattmbk
    Free Member

We sent a propshaft for a narrowboat via DPD. They lost it, it was only 12 feet long.

Northwind

When I’m planning a raid on a mail van, I find the DPD tracker very useful, you wouldn’t believe the amount of time we waste sitting around with our shotguns ready for some courier that never arrives.

franksinatra

Well. Bollx to all of that. I got an email telling me I wasn’t in to sign for it so Ian has taken it away. Apparently no attempt to leave it with my neighbours (who are in) which is what I had already authorised on their website.

They have emailed me a picture of my front door to demonstrate that I was not there to open it. 🙄

davosaurusrex

Keep tracking his van and get Northwind to ambush him with bombers

winston_dog
    Free Member

One day, all delivery companies will be like this…

Well done Ian!

Thanks for that Frank, great build up and then massive fail! PMSL! 😀

thepurist

frank – you might like this thread

pedroball
    Free Member

I’m on attempt no.4, after paying Evans the extra fee for next day delivery about 10 days ago. I think they ring the door bell and stand there for about 5 seconds before heading off.

jock-muttley

My birthday pressie ( camelbak mule ) from my lass arrived exactly on time this lunchtime, cheery driver, can’t fault the service from DPD or from Probike kit either :0)

franksinatra

if you ever need to contact them by phone to find out why it’s gone wrong, plan to spend the whole day at it

finding that now. getting very wound up that the automated voice and associated keyboard tapping noises. Do you they really expect me to believe at a recorded voice is tapping a bloody keyboard!

dashed
    Free Member

I like the concept of DPD, narrow delivery slots, email and text updates and the option to reply by text and “leave with a neighbour”. The problem is that it never seems to work, even though they reply and say “We can confirm your request to leave with a neighbour” – clearly someone isn’t telling Ian and his mates this 🙁

I’ve had several experienced like franksinatra!!

binners

Pfft! They may be good, but they’re no Parcel Force!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Enjoyed working with DPD.

And that’s the info the customer gets.

In a past life I had access to the corporate distribution account (all the warehouse numbers etc)and if you have a good relationship with the account managers… anything can be “located quicker”.

I miss that job. I also hate myself for not copying that warehouse contacts pdf.

franksinatra

Pfft! They may be good, but they’re no Parcel Force!

They are not Royal Mail either.

Steve my postie would have signed for it himself then lobbed it in the kids Wendy House for me to find later. If he thought it might be valuable he would take it back to sorting office for me to collect the next day. Sorting office is 0.4 miles away. DPD’s depot is 60 miles away.

dooosuk
    Free Member

You need Javed, not Ian.

My delivery slot today 11.35 to 12.35.

Javed delivered at 11.37.

sharkbait
    Free Member

In a sea of couriers offering much the same service the tracking system that DPD offer makes it stand out against the rest.
    Just shows how a bit of technical magic can make all the difference.

franksinatra

Soooo….

Delivery site updated, again, with instruction to leave at any neighbour. DPD card sellotaped to my front door confirming same instruction, for good measure I’ve also filled in and signed the bit about leaving in a safe location at my liability(garage).

DPD usually comes via my work as well so, for good measure, I have positioned myself near a window and if I see him I’ll try to intercept my package!

So good old Ian is on delivery 13, I’m No. 81. delivery due 2.56pm – 3.56pm Lets see how things go!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Their tracking website is really good, and most of our deliveries from them have been on time. The one time they did mess up was amazing – I’d updated my details to ask them to leave it with a neighbour.

Instead, they left the package outside, unprotected, down the side of the house. I was particularly annoyed as it was a) my husband’s birthday present, b)a £200 console and c) winter, which isn’t the best time to be leaving expensive electronics outside.

Fortunately the rain and frost held off that day, and it didn’t get nicked, but I still found it a bit annoying.

EDIT: Oh, and the driver fraudulently claimed it had been signed for, which was someone disputed by the ‘Sorry, you were out’ card he left…

dlr

Item expected last week, paid for pre 10am as urgent, get an email at 9:30 saying attempted delivery but no one there to sign, ring them up, get disconnected after being on hold for ages, ring back up, point out the office was open from 8 and I have logs for the front door entry intercom etc showing no attempted delivery, they say he will return later, which he does just before 5, no explanation for the failed earlier delivery. Should probably claim some of the cost back but busy eating biscuits

Jamie
    Free Member

Should probably claim some of the cost back but busy eating biscuits

I’m guessing the urgent pre-10am delivery was the biscuits?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

DPD have been pretty good.

I’ve had some ineptitude from Parcelforce recently after years of never having delivery problems.

Couple of weeks ago we had a delivery of kitty litter and an expenisve, custom hat block for my wife’s millinery business. Tracking showed them as delivered and signed for while we were both out. Came home to find the kitty litter in the communal stairwell and the hat block gone.
    Call up, complain, told driver would get bollocked.

Ordered that Massive Brewery kit last week – started wondering where it was. It had gone through wifey’s paypals so I wasn’t getting emails. Clicked the tracking and it was delivered to some random Spanish name at a shop next door – about 5 days ago! No card through the door. Went to the shop, they don’t know where it is or who that person is. Need to go back today and speak to the manager. Urgh.

DaveRambo

I’m equally impressed by DPD.

By far the best delivery service I’ve experienced and most of the stuff we buy gets delivered.

The key things are the ability to change to another day and the hour window. Then make sure you deliver in that window – always. The SMS part probably cost them no more than 10p in texts but adds a massive amount to the quality of the service.

If Ian has to park up for 20 mins to make the window then that’s better than being early.

I won’t buy online from some companies because they have a crap courier who say they called but didn’t – I always email to tell them so they are aware they are losing business – I’d almost say advertising that you sue DPD would be a big selling point to me.

dlr

Jamie: Luckily I already had biscuits 😛

This thread reminds me of this image I saw the other day

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘DPD – King of Couriers?’ is closed to new replies.