Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Downtube dent. OK / Not OK?
  • phil5556

Would this cause any real world issue? Alloy frame.

oikeith

Technically the dent in the alloy has shortened the tube length by a tiny amount putting slightly more stress/force on the weld to hold the pieces together( I think). But in the real world, keep riding it unless you are riding rampage style courses every day all day…

phil5556

It’s not mine, I was perusing eBay and got tempted…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

the colour would put me off 🙂

I wouldn’t buy it second hand (unless very cheap) but would keep riding it if it was mine

edit: just seen it is from here

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ragley-marley-or-clockwork-evo-sorry/

hols2
    Free Member

As above, if I owned it, I would paint it a different color and keep riding it. If I didn’t own it, I wouldn’t buy it.

wwaswas

If I didn’t own it, I wouldn’t buy it.

It’s not a particularly unusual frame either.

phil5556

It’s not a particularly unusual frame either.

No, but it’s 99p at the moment 😀

tthew

I would buy that, at a bargain price. My frame has worse.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother me if it was a bargain, middle of the tube so less stressed, but is on the corner so maybe not idea. Basically I’d be happy if the price reflected it and ebay madness didn’t descent in the last 10 minutes

Assuming either I was building from an existing pile of parts so it was a cheap bike I didn’t mind if it broke in the future. Or it was for a budget build and I’d possibly be looking to replace it with a new frame anyway at some point once I’d saved up.

footflaps

barely worn in!

breadcrumb

I’d ride that. My Solaris had a good sized dent in the down tube and it never grumbled.

That Ragley wouldn’t bother me, it would have to be cheap though.

I recently sold the Solaris on eBay, good photos of the dent and mentioned it several times in the listing, it went for £127.

luke0912
    Free Member

That’s my frame ! It happened when the bike was in the back of my van when something fell off a shelf and hit it. It happened over a year ago and has never caused any issues. I removed the paint you can see just to check for damage. I have jumped it crashed it and it has been fine. I completely understand that it’s not worth a great deal but I’m sure it would be perfect for someone as it has been a brilliant bike for me but the lure of the blue pig was too strong 🤣

phil5556

How much do you want for it?

luke0912
    Free Member

I really don’t know what to ask for it with the damage, I’m happy to listen to any reasonable offers

hols2
    Free Member

I removed the paint you can see just to check for damage.

Have you thought about removing the rest of the paint so it doesn’t hurt the eyes to look at?

rOcKeTdOg

. I have jumped it crashed it

Super honest of you but I’d be looking at the next one along without the dent if it was me after reading that

trail_rat
    Free Member

Super honest of you but I’d be looking at the next one along without the dent if it was me after reading that

Try the bike shop. You’ll find what you want there. It’s a second hand mountain bike FFS.

We don’t all bimble along farm tracks….

As above if it was mine is keep riding it and if I needed a bike like that and it was cheap enough I’d give it ago.

luke0912
    Free Member

Haha it’s a mountain bike Crashing happens, must be really boring being so perfect

blokeuptheroad

Then I wouldn’t ever buy any second hand mountain bike if I were you!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Downtube dent. OK / Not OK?’ is closed to new replies.