Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Downtube cable routing on a road bike
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Should the gear cables from my shifters fit into the cable stop on the opposite side of headtube to the shifter (i.e. partially wrap the headtube) to get a nice radius’d bend?

If I do this, the two cables then need to cross as they go down the down tube to the bottom bracket guide. Is this bad practice or ok?

Its for a Kinesis Aithein and I don’t know there are many people with this frame yet, so just looking for a bit of general advice on routing.

steve_b77
    Free Member

No problem with the crossing so long as they don’t touch and enter the bb cable guide properly

mattsccm
    Free Member

If the line at the bars is nice then this is the way to go. I have always crossed mine under the down tube. Touching is to me a theoretical problem only . Never seen any wear what-so-ever.

crikey
    Free Member

Touching cables where they cross is not an issue; think of the tension the front derailleur cable is under when it wraps under the BB; here is no pressure on the cables when they cross.

Bez

If the cables rub the down tube, that’s bad. If they rub each other, that’s fine. Of course, it should be fine to route them without a crossover, too, though – most people route it that way. If you don’t cut your outers to some completely mental length the curve should be fine.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, fitted them, tensioned the cables and they don’t touch the down tube or each other, so its all good!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Downtube cable routing on a road bike’ is closed to new replies.