Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Down sleeping bags
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I occasionally camp, however this summer we are thinking of doing 12 days around France MTBing and plan on possibly camping. I was thinking about investing in a down sleeping bag. What do you reckon? I have an old cheap £20 Millets special however I am always COLD COLD COLD And struggle at night when camping, end up sleeping in lots of layers. I was looking at this:
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16320&category_id=253

The short one is only £85. I don’t want to spend bucket loads as I don’t camp often but I’m wondering if it’s an invest that will pay be back well. Since I had my down coat I am converted. Or are there other brands out there for a similar price that I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

hairyneep
    Free Member

I’ve got the Skyehigh 800. Superb, you won’t regret it

Del

in true stw style i’ll question why you need a down one. 🙂
    good synthetics pack nearly as small, are nearly as light, will keep you warm even when damp, and will probably last longer too. the snugpak stuff was always quite good.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Well that’s what I was thinking Del to be honest! However with the normal synthetic (or my cheap bag!) I have never been warm, now I KNOW down is great and works for me, so that was my reason for thinking about getting one. I won’t be out in the pi**ing rain (ie bivvying) it will always be in a tent or which our cheap £40 has always been really good and rain proof.

If you say synthetic what would you recommend? I HATE camping becuase I get so cold at night that’s why I thought the alpkit one as it’s reasonably priced.

I”m not that bothered about it packing super small either, howver small is always useful for storage and travelling but I won’t be on my bike carrying everything to be self-sufficient!!

plumber
    Free Member

I have 2 snugpaks – very nice – toasty too

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like this holiday is going to be a blast 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OMG just loooked at Snugpak website I don’t even know where to start!? Suggestions please to fit criteria above!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Allthepies .. are taking the michael!!!

Del

🙂
    just have a look at the temp ratings. for what you want – 3/4 season i expect will be sufficient. that should take you down to about 5C IIRC? it’s tempting to go for a 4 season bag, but from my POV it’s almost as bad to be too hot, especially in a nylon tent, as it is to be too cold.
    snugpak ones are ‘issue’ now too, i think, so you may find them quite cheaply if you have a good look around.

plumber
    Free Member

My summer one is softie terra – says comfort down to 2oC – very light and perfect for me right into autumn

Del
    mikey74
    Free Member

**settles down to read replies with interest**.

I’m after a new sleeping bag too. Slight hijack, but are the mummy ones as restrictive as they look?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I better you all take the p*** if I ask this next question ….. mm scared now ……. oh I’ll just ask it!

What about pillows? I’ve alwasy struggled to sleep with a rolled up fleece anything camping/travel worth it out there? or do you just pack a normal pillow? Thanks.

plumber
    Free Member

Pillow is very important to my nights sleep

I have an inflatable one from decathlon – £5

Just inflate about half way and it very comfortable – weighs nowt

HTH

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had some very expensive down bags in the past, used for proper winter Bivis/camping and high altitude summer climbing in the alps.

Down has drawbacks, but not for what you are suggesting, summer in France. Down is not recommended if it’s going to be very wet and with no opportunities to dry/air the bag, not France in summer then.
    When using a down bag for long periods, you need to be able to hang it out to air, because it gets damp with body moisture and/or condensation. Damp/wet down is next to useless.
    The bag you linked to is more than you would need for France in Summer, but it is easier to pull down the zip and air yourself than try to get warm in a bag that is unsuitable. Alpkit stuff is good for it’s price IMO.

plumber
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ultralight-inflatable-pillow-34692307/

this one but does get inflated anywhere near shown in the pic

epicyclo

Munqe-chick – Member
    …What about pillows?…

A pillow slip packed with all my spare clothes always worked for me.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

B.A.Nana so are you saying down would be ok for the reasons why I wanted it? Got a bit confused then.
    Edit; just re read makes sense they look toastie mm maybe it is q birthday present idea.

Rich
    Free Member

I got a pillow from the £1 shop!
    Inflatable, fleece coating, 80 grams and a pound!
    Sleep much better now than when using a spare fleece or rucksack.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

M-C I’m saying that IMO the bag you linked to would be perfect if not a little OTT for France in the summer, but it’s better to want to unzip to adjust your temp than to be cold and looking to increase your warmth with extra clothes etc. That bag is 3 season and France in summer, assuming campsite camping, it’s going to be more than suitable. Down bags just need a bit of care, looking after. Being able to air them occasionally, hang them out, is ok. 12 days without airing, it will get a bit clammy, prehaps.

willard

I found myself asking the same question (down bag???) for the gap between my issue “green bomb” sleeping bag and the superlightweight issue jungle bag. Ideally, something that was as warm as the bomb, but lighter than it would be ace.

Down just seems the obvious choice, but choosing one that’s a good make and long enough for me seems almost impossible. Didn’t Tesco do one a few months back that had a -5 comfort rating?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

for years I made do without a pillow, but recently bought one of these which fits into a sleeping bag hoodhttp://sports.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=moon+pillow&_sacat=382&_odkw=3%2F4+pillow&_osacat=382&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 good for campsites but I wouldn’t bother for serious biviing or climbing in the alps.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh those pillows look quite good and cheap. But it’s okay as I won’t be serious biviing or climbing!! WE’ll have plenty of time to air a down sleeping bag in the Alps I think. MMMMM birthday present for myself still a possibility!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are getting cold make sure you have a good insulating layer between you and the ground – a thermarest type thing. Those foam rolls aren’t much cop.

Also sleep in some base layers – like HH lifas – they should keep you warm.

ahwiles
    Free Member

would you wear a fur-coat?

cos down’s basically the same.

if the animal welfare guff doesn’t bother you then ignore the hell out of me.

what you sleep on is just as important as what you sleep in – don’t sleep on an airbed if you want to be warm, cos it’s a lot of air to warm up, and that air is in good contact with the cold ground.

thermarest type camping mats are much better.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

You don’t say if you are camping with a car or not? Down has the advantage of a lighter weight (for more warmth) ratio and the ability to pack down small. But is generally more expensive. If you are carrying your kit on your bike (or yourself in a rucksack) down has a big advantage, but if you are in a car you can save yourself money by just buying a cheaper bulkier synthetic. Actually, most my friends now just take a proper double duvet for car-camping! And definately a normal pillow if you’re in a car. If not, a down jacket stuffed inside a fleece makes a pretty good substitute.

mickey74
    I think opinions on mummy sleeping bags depends on what kind of “sleeper” you are. I have a small one but since I sleep on my side curled up it doesn’t affect me. If, however, you are someone who likes to sleep spread out they are a nightmare (I’ve heard) and you’re probably better off getting a more box shaped version.

Another possibility could be something like this:
    Thermarest sleep system
    I think it looks pretty interesting, unfortunately I need a -10°C rated sleeping bag pretty much all year round so would be too cold for me.

BadlyWiredDog

If you go for a down bag – and for warmth to weight, I would – get a waterproof stuff sac/dry bag for it as well. Same applies to a synthetic, but with down it’s crucial to keep it dry or it simply won’t loft – think porridge in a nylon sack…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tried out my new down bag in the back garden recently, it was a little cold so I jacked it in after about 4 hours.

The amount of condensation on the bag and in the bivvi bag was pretty surprising to me.

But it seems you can’t get a synthetic bag under 1kg that’s any way warm?

epicyclo

I’ve never found a down bag that I could keep dry when bike camping. Possibly the tent is too small and it’s condensation.

I’d like a synthetic – something like the Buffalo system looks like it would work, but I haven’t handled one. I suspect it may be too bulky for biking.

crankboy
    Free Member

ahwiles beat me to the one thing i could contribute . Good comfortable insulation between you and the ground can make all the difference.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and am i really the only one who even considers the poor ickle geese?

down makes fur look positively right-on and groovy.

Stoner
    Free Member

Munque-chick: Mrs S’s and mine cycle tour I made a Pertex and Down double duvet which clipped to a double silk sleeping bag liner. Cost a bit, but less than two superlight down bags.

Cant link pics here at the office but you can see it at http://pompinos.blogspot.com near the bottom.

The silk liner came from these guys
    http://www.jagbags.co.nz/

For the camper van we have a double sleeping bag which can be unzipped to make 2x bags.

Sharing body heat: You know it makes sense 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

you cant make fois gras from a Mink awhiles! 😉

epicyclo

Anyone tried this? – RayWay system

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

GOt a Thermarest already but still doesn’t seem to help. I think the HH base layers (Ski ones!) are probably the way forward then. The issues was I don’t want to start spending loads of money as I don’t camp enough to warrant it which is why I thought the price of the Alpkit one was reasonable.

will be camping in the tent but wont’ be carrying the sleeping bag on the bike so not bothered if its’ a tad bigger. I think the reasoning behind it was I love my down coat and have never been cold so thought the sleeping bag might work. I’m aware of all the getting it wet etc .

Oh too many options 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    and am i really the only one who even considers the poor ickle geese?

down makes fur look positively right-on and groovy.

OK I’ve owned one down bag for about 23 years and just bought another (with probs 1/4 the fill)
    In that time I spent 17 years as a pesco/vegetarian.
    I eat meat now but not lots of it and I make an effort to buy stuff that’s been well treated. I’d estimate I eat 700gm meat per week?
    I have always worn leather shoes.

WRT all of the above I reckon the down sleeping bag is pretty small beef (pun intended) in animal cruelty terms…for me it’s about balance and the bigger picture.

Are you a vegan?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yeah I’m not getting into the animal debate, that wasn’t what this thread was about!

benman
    Free Member

Responsible manufacturers (i.e any of the big brands) will be using down which is a by-product of the meat industry. The down comes from areas of the world which are big on their goose eating (Hungary in particular…).

flatfish
    Free Member

Too many people are making your decision hard.
    If, as you say your car camping with a tent an alpkit skyhigh bag will be fine for what you need and will prolly last quite a few years meaning value for money.
    My only suggestion then is work out what the lowest temp your likely to camp in is and get a bag 3 deg c-ish colder for men and 5 deg c-ish colder than your estimate for women.
    If you find at a later date that your camping in colder conditions a silk liner will effectivley add approx 3-4 deg c to the temp rating of your bag.
    Synthetic bags are good but as your going to be in a fairly watertight car there shouldn’t much risk of it getting wet so no need for synthetic.
    HTH

ahwiles
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

ahwiles – Member

Are you a vegan?

not even nearly, personally i’m not that bothered by fur/down – i don’t really like it or need it, so i don’t buy it, if others choose to then that’s their choice, it’s not mine to make for them.

i just mentioned it as a consideration, cos a lot of people don’t make the connection.

Responsible manufacturers … will be using down which is a by-product of the meat industry…

yeah, right… that bird up there was plucked live, and will be again every couple of months, i bet it doesn’t hurt at all…

if i was to start climbing mountains, and sleeping in snow holes, and that sort of thing, then a down sleeping bag would be on my shopping list. in that situation the material has a lot to offer.

it’s very light, it’s very warm, but there’s a price – think about it, make a choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Down sleeping bags’ is closed to new replies.