Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dow crag?
  • mrchrist

From seathwaite…

Can I cycle up to the tarn and then hike a bike in to the ridge an maybe come down dow crag and then on the WSR? Is Dow crag worth doing on a bike?

Other option is push up long house Gill and the attempt the to ride up to the top of WSR which I don’t want to do again.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’d be a fair pull up from the tarn, a carry across the top but the switch backs down to WSR mighthe email fun in a fast,loose and over very quickly kind of way

mrchrist

Carry across Dow crag puts me off. Be more fun going down the front side of the old man.

Maybe I will just do the push up.

justinbieber

Never done it that way. I’ve always climbed up WSR (from either side) then up onto Dow Crag and down to the saddle above Goat Water. Good, clean techy fun

thegeneralist

the switch backs down to WSR mighthe email fun 

Agreed, these look good.

Just realised the OP is talking about Seathwaite Tarn. We walked up OMC that way last year and I spent the whole time scoping it out for MTB ( I think because the bottom bit below the tarn looked good)
    I’m struggling to recall the detail but remember that the overriding view was “No way, ever bring a bike up here” but I can’t recall why. I strongly think that the south bank of the tarn, where we walked, would be hell on earth.

Just looked at a map and Tongue House Close was the lower section that I thought looked good.

Tell us how it goes.

PS, one bit I do know there is Old Man Coniston along the ridges to the north. That was quite fun. SWIRRL How, Great Carrs, Little Carrs etc. You could tack Dow Crag onto the start and Wrynose onto the end to get back.
    Though 9bject8vely WSR Dow Crag, OMC down the steep as hell tourist path then back over WSR is probably better.

I’ve always climbed up WSR (from either side) then up onto Dow Crag and down to the saddle above Goat Water. Good, clean techy fun

I’m dying to hear where you went after that… not south by Goat Water surely. Tell me
    …:-)

mrchrist

Ah interesting @thegeneralist, pushed up from levers water last yeah and rode south down to the summit of the old man than off the main descent. Was ace.

Fancy try the trails to the north.

Looked at wetherlam but sounded a bit grassy.

justinbieber

@thegeneralist – I’ve done them all actually. I’ve gone north to Swirl How (great traversing singletrack), hiked up to Old Man then down through the mines, and yes, once gone down past goat water. I wasn’t feeling 100% that day though so it was a bit of a bail out

thegeneralist

Looked at wetherlam but sounded a bit grassy.

Not done Wetherlam, but got to admit that the ride I mentioned above, especially the last bit on Wet Side Edge, is deeply grassy.

Got to admit that I sometimes rose tinted routes that objectively aren’t actually amazing, just because I had a good day out on them

mrchrist

Yeah if the weather is good its just amazing being on the tops:)

bigfoot
    Free Member

going up past levers water to wetherlam is a good route, descent off wetherlam is a bit grassy but there is enough rock and a steep section to make it good and then it finishes with the good rocky descent to the coppermines road.

also been up dow crag from the walna sacar road and descended down past goats water once, didn’t ride it all and thought i was going to die a couple of times when i was riding, not done it since.

mrchrist

Ended up pushing up from seathwaite to then attempted to ride the last but of WSR to the saddle.

Was out for 7hrs and am tired now. I learned that I am not as fit as I was at the start of the summer:(

Thanks for all the Intel. Have booked marked This for future rides.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

4K Aston Martin Valhalla Exclusive ...
Singletrack Video Archive: 4K Aston Martin Valhalla Exclusive Hybrid Supercar Event in Vienna