Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Double glazing / condensation question.
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Hi. There’s condensation inside one of my upstairs windows – UPVC jobby, awkward shape.

Is there a cunning trick for getting rid of it, replace it or just live with it?

Thanks in advance.

Cougar

AAIU it means the panel’s blown and needs replacing.

I just ignored mine, I’ve not died yet.

bodgy
    Free Member

Lol. I’ll just never open the curtains in the bathroom. Job done.

bodgy
    Free Member

Sorry, cougar, but AAIU? Air Accident Investigation Unit?

fanatic278
    Free Member

There’s a company that can fix it. A guy I know did it as a franchise. Wish I could remember the name…. Give me a sec, I’ll see what google reveals.

Edit: there seems to be loads of them.

BigJohn

I use a local independent firm for all glass. They swap them out for not much.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use a local independent firm for all glass. They swap them out for not much.

This, just get it changed for a new sealed pane unit, they’re not expensive and it’s a simple swap (they just pop the trim off afaia)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Should be easy enough to swap the unit out yourself. See YouTube videos.
    I done this recently with a full length unit. Quoted between £190-£230 to replace it. Done it myself for £76

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

if its an awkward shape, and so a new panel would be expensive, i believe there is some middle ground. something along the lines of drilling a tiny hole, inserting silica compound, and sealing the hole. I’ve not had it done, I’m sure there are plenty of places that do it, and could get you out of an expensive spot.

Cougar

Sorry, cougar, but AAIU? Air Accident Investigation Unit?

Braino, I was typing in a hurry. I meant “AIUI” – As I Understand It.

just get it changed for a new sealed pane unit

Genuine question, is there any point? What’s the harm in leaving them?

burko73

Mate of mine does glazing. Just did mine at my place. Replaced a number of the internal glazed units without replacing the frame, saved me a fortune as the frames were good quality and in good condition still but the glass units had blown. You can buy online where you send the measurements and they make the unit but the measuring of it is a bit of an art and knowing how to get it out/ replace the seals helps. It’s one of those things that seems/ looks simple but could be an arse if you got it slightly out.

Where are You? I could give you his number if you’re in Hants/ Dorset.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Genuine question, is there any point? What’s the harm in leaving them?

A friend has at least one that’s gone and it’s just misted up a bit so it’s not perfectly transparent. I would imagine it’s not affected in any other way than just cosmetically. I suppose, some people want perfectly transparent glass with no misting / condensation which can’t be wiped away

What’s the harm in leaving them?, none I don’t think. His have been like that for a few years at least. I keep meaning to tell him that he can just replace the glass unit, but keep forgetting as it’s not a big deal.

tinybits
    Free Member

Just to add, modern double glazed units are normally argon filled for insulation. If you e got condensation it won’t have argon in it any more so it won’t be as warm.
    Up to you whether that’s a problem!

bodgy
    Free Member

It’s not a problem per se, but we own the house and try to keep on top of these things – as much as we can. The other option would be to have a massive long list of things to replace and renew if we were to put the house on the market. To my mind; if we’re gonna spend the money, we might as well have the benefit.

@burko73 – West Dorset. If you PM me his number I can always see if it’s worth his while trekking over here for the sake of one panel. Cheers buddy. 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

A blown unit is no longer insulating at the level it would have previously.

I’m not sure if it also makes them more vulnerable to impact?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you’re savvy rip the blown unit out. Whack it on a table get a Stanley knife out and cut the glass off top n bottom. Clean it up with glass cleaner and a single edge blade. Any window place will re bead and dessicant it for you. Cheapest option.

boblo
    Free Member

The units are dirt cheap and you can ‘upgrade’ to argon filled k glass (or whatever it’s called now) during the change over. Beware though, if it’s upstairs and a big unit, they’re awkward to handle off a ladder by yourself. I had a near catastrophe getting an old one out so called in a chum to help with the replacement to avoid dropping a new unit… The results would have been very messy…

bodgy
    Free Member

Thanks boblo – I’m just gonna get a local firm to come and sort it out; they can deal with the entire thing on their insurance. I’m sure as hell not gonna risk dropping it through the slate roof that it’s above.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

We’re getting a large windows down replaced next week, £115 fitted, toughened glass as the window ledge is quite low. This is after we found a stone-sized hole in the outside pane, courtesy of our 3 year old boy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We replaced 3 blown panels in a large window, room noticeably warmer after having it done to the point we would consider having the older panels done that haven’t blown

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Double glazing / condensation question.’ is closed to new replies.