Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Double Glazing…
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

Need to get the windows done and its a bloody minefield of aggressive salesmen and BS out there.
    That always makes me short on trust so looking for recommendations and not sales pitches. I’m just outside of Glasgow if anyone knows good local companies.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’d ditch the DG companies and go for a local trusted/recommended builder. They’ll get the units made up locally and to all the latest and greatest spec’s.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

None of the big companies, go local. Small established business, as above will be cheaper and better.

I could recommend a guy in Prestwick, but I’m sure there must be folks nearer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

yep. go local and know the brand of windows you are buying.
    i went for Platinum NRG triple glazed, fitted by a local firm where the boss came round to measure up and have a chat about the products. no sales pitch, no sign now and pay the best price crap.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge

Does he cover Kilmarnock?

If so pass then on.

Cheers

phil5556

I’d like to know too for Troon @nobeerinthefridge

New front door and upstairs Windows needed including cladding of dormers. Between us we could keep him busy for a few days if he’s good 🙂

matt_outandabout

I’d ditch the DG companies and go for a local trusted/recommended builder. They’ll get the units made up locally and to all the latest and greatest spec’s

This.
    Except I ordered my own Windows and doors from AWM in Doncaster.
    I got four windows and patio door, all to Uber good spec, for less than one window from a local company (who turned up in brand new Range rover… 🙄 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

http://www.gawindows.net/

Gavin is a nice guy, no pressure or any of that shit, rehau Windows, we’ve had our for 5 years, very good.

Paul Love is the name of his joiner, not a DG fitter, a proper joiner.

Killie and Troon no probs.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

I would recommend to stay away from Andrew Wrights had very poor service and quality from them

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they’ve been living off past glories for years.

Brother in law had anglian Windows out, salesman sits down and asks his wife ‘any chance of a cuppa hen?’ Before quoting them 3 and a half grand for a front door.

She was ready for stabbing him. 😂

matt_outandabout

‘any chance of a cuppa hen?’

He wouldn’t have had chance to quote in my mrs_oab’s house…

phil5556

I would recommend to stay away from Andrew Wrights had very poor service and quality from them

I can see his house from my back window.

phil5556

Gavin is a nice guy, no pressure or any of that shit, rehau Windows, we’ve had our for 5 years, very good.

Cheers 👍

phil5556

@nobeerinthefridge Just tried GA Windows, the website is down and number not recognised 🙁

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

07872 470 100 on their (not very active) FB page

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Phil, I spoke to him recently, he’s sold his business to somewhere up Heathfield estate way, trade windows rings a bell? and he’s just an employee with them now.

phil5556

Phil, I spoke to him recently, he’s sold his business to somewhere up Heathfield estate way, trade windows rings a bell? and he’s just an employee with them now.

Ah that’s a shame, I’ll look up Trade Windows and see if it comes up with anything. Someone recommended is doing a quote for me but always nice to get a couple.

globalti
    Free Member

After carelessly choosing Safestyle for the back of the house, a decision we have continued to regret for years up to the point where we’ve had to have a mullion replaced because they damaged it, we tried a local firm for the front. Everything went well and the windows are good and weatherproof but the profiles of the frames are too deep and there’s now too much white plastic around the windows. We should have insisted on seeing the profiles before placing the order.

revs1972
    Free Member

I used a small independent (step father of a client). He was around £1k cheaper than the other independent i got a quote from.
    He did a proper job, had to put timbers in the existing “boxes” (sash windows originally but had poorly fitted DG when we bought it). As he had looked throughly when he did the quote, Ll that was included in the price he gave me.
    I wanted french type windows on our bedroom but he advised the glass would be very narrow due to the frane width.
    Stay well away from the big boys unless you want to hear all the BS. Uncle used to work on the commercial side of a windows company years ago, and some of the tales he told us from the private side of the company make that White Gold series look like a documentary 🤣

globalti
    Free Member

Ha ha that reminds me…. Safestyle kept ringing us back offering to do our front windows so Mrs Gti asked them to quote. It came in at £7000 and when they rang expecting the order we told them it was waaay beyond our budget and we would pay no more than £1000. They rang several times and just couldn’t seem to get the message.

johndoh
    Free Member

They’ll get the units made up locally

I understand that most of the double glazing is made by a few national companies now and ‘local’ businesses just buy them in and fit them. I know for a fact that my ‘local’ one (Niddal in Knaresborough) do just that – they used to manufacture on-site but now they simply buy them in and fit.

Happy to be proved wrong but that’s my experience.

revs1972
    Free Member

Thats what my guy sells. Eurocell units from memory. Couple of factories make them. All the indies get from the same place.The price the end user pays is based on the markup they want to make, labour to fit them etc. What they pay is based on the volume they buy.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I worked for a mate oppisite a few years ago fitting windows etc and he used Eurocell profile frames. We never had any faults or complaints about them, my own house has them and the 12 year old conservatory still looks like new.
    Deffo go for local independant over we fit any old shit . com.

phil5556

This is harder than I thought….

We’ve had a good local guy round, good price and recommended. I’d like to use him but I’m not sure I like the profile of what he uses!

Not sure if just being fussy, but think we want just a 45 degree chamfer, not a rounded edge. Finding it difficult to find other fitters.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Double Glazing…’ is closed to new replies.