Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dot 4 Vs Mineral oil
  • drfunkenstein57
    Free Member

I am fitting a pair of Avid Juicy 3’s to my Kona… The Avid manual says use Dot 3 or 4 (which I have heard is corrosive) could I use Shimano’s less aggresive Pink mineral oil instead? The brake kit is brand new & has never had any fluid installed as yet. Also will it affect performance, if I used the Shimano mineral oil?

Many thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no – the seals will fail.

You must use the correct fluid

Colin-T

No. The seals will not be compatible and will swell and/or degrade.

Olly
    Free Member

no fluid?
    are you sure?
    thats very unusual, normally they come factory bled.

+1 for not using mineral oil.

i looked into this too, and it will bork seals

foxyrider
    Free Member

Are you sure DOT 3 or 4 – I would think its DOT 4 and 5.1 (not 5).

Do not use mineral oil! or you can chuck them in the bin now 🙂

DOT in my experience is not that corrosive – if you wash it off the DOT is “inactivated” 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DOT 3 4 and 5.1 are essentialy the same just with subtly different addatives to alter the boiling points, just buy some high performance 4 or 5.1 from halfords in a 250ml bottle, it’ll last a lifetime of brake bleeding if you keep the lid screwed on.

DOT 5 is competely different and doesn’t play nicley with anything other than DOT 5 systems.

Mineral oil is completely different and doesn’t play nicley with anything other than mineral oil systems.

DOT is fine just keep a bottle of soapy water to hand to wash it off any painted surfaces it comes into contact with and wear latex gloves like you should when handling any oil. Take any used fluids to the local recycling center (or phone your council to find otu where you should take them for disposal) DO NOT POUR ANYTHING DOWN THE DRAIN.

drfunkenstein57
    Free Member

Ok, Cheers Guys.

I haven’t checked yet if they have been factory bled (that would explain why there was no oil bottle in the box) Sorry to be such a nonce!

If they aren’t pre-bled, I will use the Dot 4/5 stuff.

Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

noooooooooooooooooooooo

DO NOT USE DOT 5

USE DOT 5.1

DOT 3, DOT 4 AND DOT5.1 ARE THE SAME,

DOT 5 IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO BOTH MINERAL OIL AND GLYCOL BASED FLUIDS (DOT 3,4,5.1) AS ITS SILICONE BASED.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dot 4 Vs Mineral oil’ is closed to new replies.