Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dorset, how bad is the mud
  • ampthill

I’m staying in the New Forest next week

I’ll entertain myself plodding round the gravel tracks there.

But also I’m eyeing up a couple of MTB routes as well

West of Corte Castle. The rode the route East of Corfe Castle last winter and other than a section near the golf course it was fine. So will this area be ok this winter

The other one that I had my eye was the Roman Castle North of Stourpaine. Are those mainly firm tracks or wheel eating clay?

Edit and how about the ridges either side of Bishopstone

Thanks and I can supply gpx routes of my plans if needed

Ps anywhere other winter recommendations in the area?

cinnamon_girl

Can’t answer your q re mud but assuming you’re meaning Hod Hill? I’ve done a nice little ride starting from Shroton, a little way North. No gpx but I could have a go at remembering the route and sending a gpx? Also nearby is the North Dorset Trailway which is a disused railway line. At Shillingstone there is a cafe and shop. Very pleasant ride along it and of course you get the views of Hod Hill, can’t remember whether you can see Hambledon Hill.

ampthill

Cheers cinnamon girl

Yes Hod Hill. No need for a gpx but top tip on the old railway. It means that if the hills are horrid I can bail out onto that

cinnamon_girl

You’re welcome. As it happens I took a look at my mapping software and could remember the route. You’ve basically got 3 hills in Dorset that are close together and I think it’s Okeford Hill where the Blandford Bike Park is situated, haven’t a clue whether it’s still going.

https://www.northdorsettrailway.org.uk/index.html

I’ve cycled from Sturminster Newton to Blandford although the last part is blighted by traffic noise. Worth taking a look at this:

https://www.northdorsetrailway.co.uk/cafe.php

redstripe
    Free Member

Was out that way last Saturday in great weather, was pretty gloopy in a few low lying places, up on higher ground it was okay. After Sunday and some more rain this week I suspect it might be a bit worse sadly. NF ‘official’ gravel tracks no problem though.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ridge north of Bishopstone (Shaston Drove) is gravelly, there will be plenty of water about in certain parts but definitely rideable. You can make some good loops from there up into Grovely Wood, other side of the A30. South of Bishopstone I remember the Ox drove getting lots of 4×4 traffic and being pretty rubbish, might have changed more recently though.

jonm81

It’s not so much muddy around the Purbecks as waterlogged at the moment. Gravel tracks around the New Forest are fine but other bits are very wet or under water. Not sure about north west of Blandford but the gravel trails north and west of Wimbourne around Bradbury Rings and Kingston Lacy are ok. It’ll only be worse for water/puddles after the coming weekend.

cinnamon_girl

Waves to RichPenny and hope you are well?

Seeing as Badbury Rings has been mentioned, close to it is Tarrant Rushton Airfield which was used in WW2. There’s public rights of way around it and also a memorial.

http://dorset.hampshireairfields.co.uk/tar.html

ampthill

All great stuff

I’ve clicked through some routes based on suggestions and downloaded some gpx files to my watch 🙂

linusr

New Forest official trails looking good this week. trail bike

DT78
    Free Member

Is that photo taken recently? It looks bone dry. Might have to get myself out on some gravel then rather than risking my life on the roads…

linusr

@DT78 taken on Wednesday this week just south of the Canadian memorial on the west half of the National Park. Not bone dry but well drained fire roads of The Forestry Commission. Don’t expect any singletrack. All the trails are like this. I wish I’d taken my CX/gravel bike instead.

kerley
    Free Member

Even after it has pissed down for weeks the gravel roads in the New Forest are always fine (lived and ridden in New Forest for 20 years). Very rarely any puddles on them as they drain so well and are typically raised with water washing off the edges into the undergrowth. Also a lot of tress (obviously) that also help with soaking the water up.

However, the ‘illegal’ singletrack is largely underwater with small lakes in places and it is never good at this time of year. There is a lot of singletrack if you know where to go but I only tend to ride it from April to October

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dorset, how bad is the mud’ is closed to new replies.