• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by GDRS.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dorset Graveldash, what a lot of fun
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Who else did it this year?

Borrowed some Alpkit bags off a mate, dug out my 22 year old fully rigid v braked heavy steel mtb (a last minute decision not to use the CX bike just because I thought the old girl deserved a proper run out again) and had a crack at the 50:50 with 3 mates who are not at all into to mountain biking

Whilst we have all done a few coast to coast rides and try to plan a weekend adventure every year alternating between long distance cycle trips or canoe trips this was twice the distance and elevation gain I would normally ride off road, coupled with carting a tent, sleeping bag and all sorts of other stuff around I wasn’t sure how I would cope but whilst it was physically a hard route (nothing technical mtb wise and my old rigid bike proved an ideal choice) I actually found it to be pretty manageable and a clever route in that it front loaded everything making the second day that bit easier
    We all had a right laugh and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, full casualty between us list was one broken seatclamp, a snapped pannier rack, 2 completely worn sets of brakepads, 1 puncture, 1 minor crash (as a result of the brake failure coming down Ballard Down), 4 hangovers and 4 sore arses

Everything about the event was top notch, Cheers to Charlie, Sam, Jack and Joel the chef for organising one of the best, most chilled, challenging, scenic, friendly and funny bike events I’ve attended, and to all the other participants I met everyone was a real friendly bunch
    Now looking forward to the Devon dash later this year and maybe even having a crack at the one day event next year, I’ve also remembered how much fun riding an old school bike across that sort of terrain can be so I’m going to be getting it out a lot more often

Oh and Happy Bottom Bumbutter – it works!

jimdubleyou

Yup – I did the 50:50 with my bro – he rode my short travel MTB and I rode my cross bike.

Was a good laugh, despite cursing/pushing up the hill forts and carrying too much stuff, and a bit of a sense of humour failure in the second hour of rain on the Sunday (should have got up earlier 🙂 )

Seriously tempted by a shiny new bike after seeing some gems at the start, maybe an enormous bamboo fat bike?

jeff

I’d second (third?) all that.

I’ve gone right off iron age hill fort designers since the weekend though.

I hope you all did the gratuitous extra mile + beer in Puddletown forest 🙂

surfingobo
    Free Member

Did the 100 with a work colleague but took the A351 back from Wareham so ended up being about 93 which is still a good days riding!

My casualty list:
    Snapped chain
    Torn sidewall front tyre
    Punctured sidewall rear tyre that took four inflations with mini pump before sealing!

His casualty list:
    One arse, lost somewhere around puddle town forest, he still doesn’t appear to have found it.

Really enjoyed ourselves and planning to try the Devon 50 50 because the camping sounds like a good laugh!

alwillis

Did the 100 after pootleing round last year with the mrs, I was on my own this year. Found an excellent bunch of guys to ride with- it’s always a really chilled out ride (even into a roaring wet headwind coming back towards Swanage).

I think the 50:50 would be so much harder with a loaded bike, which is why I’ve mooted the idea of a 100:100 next year, staying in a nice bnb or pub in Swanage.

iain1775
    Free Member

yeah the hill forts where a bitch, was no way anyone could ride up Hambledon Hill surely, least not on a fully loaded down bike?
    Rain hit us as we entered Wareham, stuck with us all the way through the nicely exposed heaths and headlands bits, which added to the headwind, was nice

Digger90
    Free Member

Did the 100 on Sunday. Great course, very CX-bike appropriate and loved it.

How picturesque was that? 🙂

jimdubleyou

Also, there’s a hilarious video on the FB group of some poor bloke with a knackered rear derailleur…

“I’ll just run it”

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Did the 100, on a CX bike this year after using the MTB for the previous 2 years. Absolutely loved it once again, despite the weather being less kind than before.

CX was definitely the faster choice (although I’m also fitter this year) – apart from a high speed crash on the Shillingstone descent – for some reason I decided I’d adjust the worn brake pads at the bottom rather than the top.
    I had about a minute to think about the error of my ways before I finally couldn’t hang on to the still-accelerating bike any longer. Luckily the anticipated crunch of bone against tree never came, and I got up with nothing more serious than a bleeding ear and a saddle pointing skywards.

Thanks again to all who organised and took part. Can’t wait for the announcement of dates for Devon, hope I can make it 🙂

Digger90
    Free Member

Where can I get info about the Devon event?

Googling around doesn’t produce any info…

scud
    Free Member

I did the 100 last year, but thought i’d do the 50/50 this year as i fancied the camp, great event again, organised chaos but met some really good people and got some email address and FB names to keep in touch.

It’s a really good course i think, i forget just how beautiful that part of England is sometimes. Looking forward to Devon Dash as well if it goes ahead, chatted to Sam about it and they have a few ideas already but are open to local knowledge to if you’re from that area?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Where can I get info about the Devon event?

It was mentioned on FB maybe a week ago, either on the Dorset event page or maybe Charlie’s own FB page. Been a bit buried under all the Dorset posts since.

Not much confirmed detail as far as I know but that may have changed.

flashes
    Free Member

Did the 100 again, lovely. First fixed gear back, result…..a massive thanks to Charlie and the Bike Monkeys for organising such a spot on event and the penguin / water stop was great…….

heliuscc
    Free Member

was an awesome weekend, anyone who rode up Hambledon Hill with luggage deserves a medal and a drug test

aP
    Free Member

We did the 50/50 again which was fun, and enough for us on drop bar bikes, and caught up with people from previous years. We had one small “adult discussion” on the Saturday, but Joel’s cooking was great as always and the campfire where we sat up-wind this year gave a chance to talk to people. The cowboy beans were a bit spicier than I was expecting…
    The joy left us heading towards Studland cafe when herself’s mech hanger decided to change shape, but we made it back.
    The Devon one sounds as though it’ll be good fun, its a long time since I’ve ridden Dartmoor.

GDRS

50;50 for me and my brother in law.

Hambledon Hill with a trailer was a bit of a test of my sense of humor. But other than than that all good.

The first four fast guys in the 100 caught up with us just between Wareham Forest and Studland – with the fifth 100 placed rider passing us about an hour later as we were being blown across Ballard Down……but hey, whilst it is good to be fit – bank holiday’s are for a couple beers, goat stew and a night in a field.

Thanks again Bikemonger people – and for pretty much everyone else for not being a dick!

jimdubleyou

GDRS – were you the only one with a trailer? If so, I think you owe me a couple of cable ties 😉

My brother & I stopped just as your BIL’s rack snapped…

Andy

Did the 50/50 again this year. Great fun with lots of banter with other riders on both days, and good catching up with people from last year. My mates were very unlucky with mechanicals, which made for a long day on Saturday. The food and beer at the campsite made it worth it though.

Ran a plus wheel on the front of my Fargo which made the bumpy descents a hoot. GDRS I followed you down one of the descents after Hambledon, and along side a stream into a village. Watching your trailer bouncing away was hilarious 😀

Would like to have a crack at the 100, but enjoy the overnight camp too much.

GDRS

Jim thanks for the cable ties. BiL ‘s kit was all secured by ties by the time we got back to Swanage.

Andy, more stable than you think….. 🙂 but as heavy as you can probably imagine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dorset Graveldash, what a lot of fun’ is closed to new replies.