• This topic has 73 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by grum.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Doomsday prepping
  • jimmy

I shall feast on the oversupply of gammon.

Northwind

The thing to bear in mind about all these preppers, is they all lost their shit after 2 weeks of mild covid restrictions. Bunker full of guns, a thousand tins of beans but it all means nothing if you can’t get a haircut or a tattoo or threaten a liberal.

Personally, I quite like civilisation, and if the cost of survival means sharing a new world with nothing but survivalists, I’ll not bother thanks.

ajt123
    Free Member

Loving this thread.

I think there are levels of emergency, or social collapse that individuals can sensibly prepare for and those they can’t.

I liked Brick’s take. If we’re looking at civilisational collapse, not much you could do. But if its increasing instability there are some things you can future proof for… Things that come to mind:

Thinking about your employment choices – what won’t be easily automated? Put some money away, more extreme have some precious metals in case of currency problems.

If you live in an area where there could be disturbance, get a solid door, high fence.

If you live in somewhere flood prone, get some waders, maybe an inflatable. Don’t move there if you are moving.

Fuel dump of some petrol in a lock up, end of a big garden.

Get yourself some solar, maybe a power wall, so you’ve got off grid potential. A wood pile in the garage, or down the side of a house…

Might be worth thinking what adaptations to uncertainty people in LEDCs make in the face of precarious circumstances.

martinhutch

big poly tunnel, chickens and bees.

I like this plan. Giant bee-chicken hybrids buzzing around, fattening themselves up on the flowers.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Prepping gets a bad name mainly due to the fact that the extreme end of it gets the media coverage (right wing Americans with guns)

There are actually some more thoughtful peppers out there, even in the USA – check out https://theprepared.com for an example of a slightly more liberal approach.

A year ago no-one thought for a minute we’d be in the midst of a global pandemic now. If the world can change that much, that quickly, what else could change?

Prepping doesn’t have to mean getting ready for the end of the world, it can be as simple as warm clothes and a shovel in the car in winter. First aid training is ‘prepping’ if you think about it.

Anyway, back to digging my bunker 😉

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Spam.
    Hot water bottles.

Isn’t hemp supposed to be the new wonder-food? Grows anywhere.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I really don’t get the bog roll thing. If you know what you’re doing one roll can last a year. Just bake it for half a day longer and you’ll have a clean burner every time, no soot, nothing. One sheet to check if you’re the cautious type, but you’ll draw an ace, guaranteed.

slowol

Picked 6 buckets of Bramley’s at the weekend and got some rechargeable hair trimmers at the end of May (the only pair Argos had in for a month).
    Does that count as prepping?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I agree with TheBrick. Whatever specifics you plan for, chances are you’ll be wrong. This time last year, how many people were planning for a pandemic? A few experts were warning of it, but it wasn’t seriously on the radar.

dovebiker

What are you planning to grow?

I’ll leave that to Mrs DB – I’ll just be responsible for the digging and construction but expect it will be things like tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, beans, peas, carrots. There’s a big grow-your-own community where they share produce, seeds, plants and experience.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If you know what you’re doing one roll can last a year. Just bake it for half a day longer and you’ll have a clean burner every time, no soot, nothing. One sheet to check if you’re the cautious type, but you’ll draw an ace, guaranteed.

🙂 Ah yes, the perfect dump.

Every once in a while everyone experiences the perfect Brown Trout. It’s rare but a real thing of beauty. You sit down expecting the worst, but what you get is a smooth sliding, fart-less masterpiece that breaks the water with the splash-less grace of an Olympic high-diving champion. You use the toilet tissue to find that it was totally unnecessary. It makes you feel that all is right in the world and that you are in perfect harmony with it.

Back in the 1880s rural reformers used a phrase “three acres and a cow” – this is what they reckoned a family needed to subsist.

You aren’t going to be self sufficient by growing stuff in your back garden.

Best way to survive the breakdown of western society is to cook and eat your neighbours before they cook and eat you.

gauss1777
    Free Member

and I’ll be digging up the remaining lawn over the winter

We built our raised beds directly onto the lawn, with a layer of cardboard then the compost. Followed the videos on YouTube by Charles Dowding. Saved a lot of digging!

thegreatape
    Free Member

smooth sliding, fart-less masterpiece that breaks the water with the splash-less grace of an Olympic high-diving champion.

Like an otter off a bank.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Known as a Ghostie round these parts.

Marin
    Free Member

I met an Alaskan guy in New Zealand years ago who advised guns and gold. When gold looses its value you better have a big gun or as its UK get an axe and learn to fight. Better still in case of complete breakdown plan a nice suicide as life wont be worth living.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Best way to improve things is to pull together and build strong, sustainable, networked communities.

Bunker mentality is the disease itself offered as the ‘cure’

A problem with this pandemic is further pushing people into ‘virtual‘ bunkers as well as physical ones. And the ‘outlet’ for all that is (for a growing number of the population), again, the internet.

ayjaydoubleyou

I dont offer the solution, or even a prediction of the future in this: but look to South Africa. Unstable currency, inequality and infastructure problems; whilst maintaining some semblence of western capitalist life.

Securing your home, having stocks of food and drinks in your house, being prepared for the scheduled rolling blackouts is the normal.

Some kind of mass extinction event/complete breakdown of society and I am going with 6 foot of rope. Anything else is merely prolonging a drawn out miserable and painful death.

grum
    Free Member

You aren’t going to be self sufficient by growing stuff in your back garden.

You’re going to build skills that will make it easier if needed though.

Best way to improve things is to pull together and build strong, sustainable, networked communities.

Good point but I think I buy in to the theory that humans are only really evolved to live in smaller communities. I don’t feel evolved enough for the limitless bounds of the internet!

montgomery
    Free Member

We built our raised beds directly onto the lawn, with a layer of cardboard then the compost. Followed the videos on YouTube by Charles Dowding. Saved a lot of digging!

Good tip. Thought about raised beds on the remaining lawn, that’s tonight’s viewing sorted.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of post apocalyptic fiction and one of my current favourite series (SM Stirling – Emberverse) postulates that, in the event of a complete societal breakdown, the people most likely to survive and thrive are the ones who have the luxury of enough leisure time and resources to currently pursue hobbies that are based on historical pre-industrial trades.

Weavers and leather workers, anglers and gardeners, medieval battle re-enactors and archers.

It’s not going to be the preppers who inherit the earth.

It’s pinterest

grum
    Free Member

I can bake pretentious bread. Does that count?

Here’s how they are constructively responding to the crisis in California :-/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/20/more-than-100000-californians-have-bought-a-gun-in-response-to-covid-19-crisis-report-finds

mmannerr

I like prepper mentality but in moderation – having skills for first aid , some car repair, carpentry, cooking, orienteering and growing food makes sense in my mind. Also most outdoor stuff is very useful in case of power-outs and other smaller crises.

Buying zombie axes, Bruce Lee -skills and big guns is step too far IMO.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I can bake pretentious bread.

Is that a post-post-ironic-age, faux-reverso-classist euphemism for ‘can bake bread’?

maccruiskeen

those guys are into it just because it’s a good excuse to buy guns and play in bunkers, I

they’re basically fantasising about spree killing. They’re not genuinely driven by self sufficient survival and being the sole hope for future humanity. They get a hard on about taking a last stand and killing anyone and everyone who they think might show an interest in their stockpile of beans.

grum
    Free Member

Is that a post-post-ironic-age, faux-reverso-classist euphemism for ‘can bake bread’?

Last night I made a middle Eastern style sourdough flatbread in my outdoor pizza oven. Does that help paint a picture?

p7eaven
    Free Member

Good point but I think I buy in to the theory that humans are only really evolved to live in smaller communities.

Right now we (in the West) aren’t living in any sized communities (in the real physical, supportive, practical, connected sense)

It’s still basically the nuclear family in little boxes model, with a side-helping of internet bunkerdom where the lonely and disconnected find false ‘belonging’ in rabbit holes of conspiracy cults and tribal, cartoonish, political guff.

soobalias
    Free Member

Anything else is merely prolonging a drawn out miserable and painful death

ah, the status quo (sounds slightly less depressing)

dyna-ti

Sorry for not getting back to you.

Could you be a little more specific? What ‘system’?

Well the answer lies in the reply i added, ie ” UNDER COMMUNISM ”

So I guess that means under communism, when the state cared less for the peoples needs, and as a result a blackmarket flourished.

So ok for some,but not for everyone.

I found out abut this when working in Romania in 1992.
    You cannot get cocacola there and I and a few others do like a coke drink. So we arranged with our translator to go buy so.
    It was me that went with our chap to get some.
    Journey – North at the Ukrainian border, deep, and i do mean deep, in the forest, and about a 2hour drive along roads that arent roads in any normal sense, and our chap drove the whole way at about 50mph.
    I managed to secure 6x 2lt bottles of Pepsi, which I seem to remember cost $200.

It was an interesting house I visited that day, Kalashnikov’s aside

ayjaydoubleyou

Well the answer lies in the reply i added, ie ” UNDER COMMUNISM ”

So I guess that means under communism, when the state cared less for the peoples needs, and as a result a blackmarket flourished.

So ok for some,but not for everyone.

I found out abut this when working in Romania in 1992.
    You cannot get cocacola there and I and a few others do like a coke drink. So we arranged with our translator to go buy so.
    It was me that went with our chap to get some.
    Journey – North at the Ukrainian border, deep, and i do mean deep, in the forest, and about a 2hour drive along roads that arent roads in any normal sense, and our chap drove the whole way at about 50mph.
    I managed to secure 6x 2lt bottles of Pepsi, which I seem to remember cost $200.

It was an interesting house I visited that day, Kalashnikov’s aside

Paying for cocacola and being given pepsi is not a world I want to live in

willard

I thought about this (not paying for Coke and getting Pepsi) the other night as I was drifting off to sleep. Human society in developed nations seems to be (when taken as a whole) a permanent race to the bottom.

Individuals can recommend or develop ideals and suggestions for collaborative working (Marx, etc), where a society can thrive and people live well with each other, but then people just come in and mess it up with individualism. Wars happen, people die, technology advances, and repeat. As a world, species and society, we seem more inclined and better adapted to killing each other than actually working together. Even working together seems to be more effective when people frame it as a game or a competition.

Is that how we become extinct? Is the end game, the win, that the species dies?

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Get a grip people, even in the 70s with blackouts, paper shortages, rubbish piling up uncollected and something very unpleasant happening to potatoes one year, we all survived. Hell, my old boss’s Mum back in Somaliland lived into her 90s (the kids took it turns to buy her diabetes meds in the Middle East in bulk and take them over).

That said I have a nice stock of tinned food and fizzy water in the garage and various powerbanks / windup radios / candles stashed away. And loo roll! And a lot of blankets etc. Space blankets too.

As a 70s kid I know that sometimes things do get messed up – a few supply chain issues might occur – but it’s a big world with much better resources now than we had then.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Last night I made a middle Eastern style sourdough flatbread in my outdoor pizza oven. Does that help paint a picture?

https://tenor.com/TNLl.gif

which was nice. (Fast show).

grum
    Free Member

I forgot to mention the slow cooker pulled lamb shoulder, toasted pine nuts and Greek yoghurt flavoured with lemon juice and mango powder that it was served with.

Which was nice.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Doomsday prepping’ is closed to new replies.