Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Don't you just love your overkilllongtravelbigmountain bike?
  • benji_allen
    Free Member

Just took my Alpine for a blast round a local cross country circuit. Bit of a slog on the up, but a massive mud spattered grin on the way down. Running out of gears on stuff I'd normally back off on in the dry.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Loved my Demo9, man that bike was overkill 🙂

ask Jedi about xc on a Demo 9 at glentress 😆

benji_allen
    Free Member

Don't tell anyone, but I wear a helmet and knee pads too. How woolly is that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

yes, need to put it back together, but in no rush until spring.

Aqualisa
    Free Member

no, it winds me right up as soon as the gradient gets flat, let alone upwards…

mk1fan
    Free Member

Yes

zangolin
    Free Member

Yes +1
    Waving the proverbial two fingers of 7" of rear travel + body armour at the miserable MTB thought police. 😈

ooOOoo
    Free Member

You had fun on your bicycle??!! Heavens to murgatroyd

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mountain bikes are for suffering on, not having fun on – be gone with the lot of you!

benji_allen
    Free Member

If I wanted it to be easier going up, I'd buy a motorcross bike 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting) my 160mm travel Nomad is 8lbs lighter and pedals better than my 130mm Coiler, which I happily rode for 5 years, and still ride as I'm preserving my Nomad for the summer (hah).

Clearly my nomad is therefore far too much bike for me or any terrain on planet earth, and therefore almost unrideable. 🙄

Dunno if its the lousy weather keeping people frustrated and off the trails but I dont get all those threads slagging bikes/riding styles off. I ride my Coiler or Nomad whilst MC rides a hardtail with 100mm forks. Neither of us is on the "wrong" bike. And if I choose to ride the rougher lines, and seek out drops, gaps, jumps or obstacles, does anyone describing that style of riding as freeriding (or any other term popularised by marketing departments and borrowed from snow sports) make them a pariah?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Orange Five on Haldon's (nr Exeter) new route was interesting the other day. Def overkill but my 70mm stem (rather than my 100mm stem on my XC bike) made mean work of the "very difficult" trail conditions 🙄 apart from when my MK protections gave way on a tight corer and I did a suprman take off 😉

OT – the new Haldon trail is giving way already to the elements – will be good on a night ride or a race mind you 😉 Good at full pelt till your heat pops out ya chest but lacking technicality unfortunately!

nickc

It's more fun being "overbiked" sometimes. Riding round the Chilterns flat out on the 6" Helius I used to have was laugh out loud funny.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Im about to get a RM Slayer for the Lincs Wolds and i cant wait. i was told i was overbiked on my Cotic BFe.

neil853
    Free Member

i ride my ransom all year round and yes its a slog on the long uphills but everywherer else there insn't much difference, saying that, i am looking at a lappiere zesty for next year, but i'll keep the ransom 😉

Jezwick
    Free Member

Stanmer Woods in Brighton is a hoot on my Reign X, I especially enjoy holding everyone else up as I have to make a 2 point turn on most corners 🙂

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

In the same way, I often enjoy being woefully underbiked. I've been for 'rides' on my 100mm hardtail with my friend on a Santa Cruz V10. That sort of doesn't work though.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Apparently a sub 6" bike is rated as XC these days by the marketing people who like categorising things into neat little boxes. That does make me chuckle somewhat, especially given how much work my Orange Five I uphill (compared to a hardtail)!

What I really love about longer travel bikes is the confidence they give me to try stuff that's scared me witless for years on a hardtail. I then realise I was just being rather wet and come back next time on the hardtail and ride it no bother.

So how long before 8" bikes become the new XC???

Kramer
    Free Member

What I really love about longer travel bikes is the confidence they give me to try stuff that's scared me witless for years on a hardtail. I then realise I was just being rather wet and come back next time on the hardtail and ride it no bother.

+1

jimmy

every time i ride my DB Alpine (sporadic as it has unfortunately been) it takes me a while to remember what it lets me do; thats when I start grinning.

jedi

ride what ya brung!
    i rode glentress balck on my demo9 as we had uplift at inners etc..that weekend too.
    i didnt find it any harder to climb just slower.

its a bike , they all do the same thing

Jamie
    Free Member

its a bike , they all do the same thing

Careful, you will have several bike firms marketing departments on yo ass.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Spinning out a 32-44/11?

I'm impressed!

dans160
    Free Member

I love it and also wear arm, leg, body and spine armour! And if I didn't I'd have been to hospital more than the two times I have been because of bikes.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Don't you just love your overkilllongtravelbigmountain bike?’ is closed to new replies.