Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Don't want to give my 48 quid a month to Sky anymore.
  • langylad
    Free Member

Which is the best (cheap) tv/internet/phone package out there? Find I watch very little after the bbc4 slot on the menu, will only miss the cricket and the rugby on sky sports. Would like something where i could add euro sport for the cycling, any recommendations?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I find most of the channels I actually need on Freesat.The rest is fluff and I can catch up with most things via iplayer anyway.

scaredypants

decent unlimited broadband plus eurosprt player in the months where cycling is on ?

langylad
    Free Member

That would be nice

nedrapier

I got a great deal from Virgin when I moved house. Kept trying to tell them I needed to cancel, they kept offering better deals. I said “stick” at this:

*L Telephone line ( free evening & weekend calls to UK landlines)
    *L BBI (30MB unlimited broadband with a FREE super hub)
    *M+ TV ( over 75 channels with a FREE Itb Tivo box )
    All for just £23.50 per month on a 18 month contract

I can ping you an email with details and the contact in the “special” team if you like?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

wow –thats nearly £600 smackers a year for the evil empire, never understood why people moan bout the license fee, superb value– yeah bbc4, nowt on sky that could lick its boots.

Just had a sky sales man round on the knock today, let him do his spiel then told him what i thought of rupert, the scum, and his org— he laughed and said he felt the same, but it was his job, poor sod.

langylad
    Free Member

Your right rude, nothing ever quite seems ‘right’ when sky do it compared to the beeb. Cheers ned, that sounds good but unfortunately we don’t seem to be able to get tivo in our area.

StirlingCrispin

Just done something very similar.
    – Cancelled Sky TV.
    – Bought a Humax Freesat tuner for the TV (Foxsat HDR 500GB Freesat+ HD Twin Tuner PVR). This upgraded me to HD, with recordability etc. Just plugged in the satellite cables and off I went.
    – Subscribed to Lovefilm for movies (This was Mrs StirlingCrispin’s idea – but it works really well, and we watch a fair bit on it).
    – For internet I was going to swap to BT fiber, which ended up costing the same as the old Sky broadband package. When I went to get a Mac code Sky matched the BT price (ask them to match line-rental but don’t tell them the price is for yearly payments)and gave me unlimited downloads too.

We have a more usable package and are saving over £10 a month.

langylad
    Free Member

On o2 for broadband and to be fair the customer service is good and unlimited downloads for 13 quid.

loddrik
    Free Member

Couldn’t do without my sky & anytime plus.

beanieripper
    Free Member

load of cr@p…freesat is free. if you need more tv tripe than that, you deserve to pay.

almightydutch
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Couldn’t do without my sky & anytime plus.

Yep same here!

HD, Kids and News packages(which covers Eurosport 1+2 which are now both HD too….Moto GP heaven)

patriotpro
    Free Member

Call Sky, tell them you’re thinking of going to Virgin.

Sit back and listen the offers of discount come your way until there is one you are happy with.

They’re not rated number 1 for companies to haggle with for nothing you know…

Good luck. 😉

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Just make sure virgin is available in your area before the haggle with sky. A mate tried it and sky said “go on then” knowing full well virgin wasn’t available in that area!

somafunk

I used to get the Sky sales folk round at my door trying to offer me a “one time only offer deal if i take it out today”, i told them i don’t own a TV, never have owned a TV in 22 years and probably never will own a TV. At this they appear confused, perplexed, generally chew their cheek for a second and look at their clipboard before toddling off to annoy someone else.
    However a while ago they appeared at my door and tried a different tact which involves the offer of a free TV….yep you read that right…..a new TV can be mine absolutely free, gratis, nil charge, something for nowt if i sign up for a certain package that will only cost me £50 odd a month, i usually play along feigning genuine interest and ask relevant questions regarding this wondrous offer such as : Will i get Sky1?, Can i watch whatever i want?, Can i leave the TV on all day?, Is there an extra charge for the daytime viewing or nightime viewing?, Can i take my TV with me to my friends house as he doesn’t have one either?. Eventually it appears i am satisfied with their answers and i gesture to them to proceed with the paperwork, it’s a done deal as i watch their face light up with the promise of commission from closing the deal. we work through the paperwork as i agree to everything – Phoneline, Broadband, Am i interested in extra channels at only X amount extra a month?, works out at pennies a day, less than the price of a takeaway coffee so obviously i am eager by this point….yes-yes-yes – i want it all.

We get as far as the final signature where i pause for a second, poised with the Sky parker pen, that i can apparently keep, resting in the Direct Debit box as i contemplate signing away £800 plus a year for the “save the murdoch two” legal fund and i decide now is the time to drop my final question……….”If i cancel in the first month can i keep the television?”, their face drops, their jaw hangs loose, their pupils dilate and there is a distinct change in their previous friendly demeanour as they sit back and give me a look of such contempt that Rupert Murdoch himself would be proud to carry off before uttering “Have you been stringing me along?” or words to that effect. At this point i admit to the ruse and say “I’m afraid so, but look at it this way it’s been a good role playing session hasn’t it?”.

If direct sellers/jehovas/the god squad etc turn up at my door i don’t slam the door in their face like some folk do or tell them f-off as there’s no need to abuse folk in such a way – thats just plain nasty imho and you’ve got to remember that is someones mother/father/daughter/son etc and what you say could have an actual lasting effect on them – it’s much more productive if you have the time to play along and whilst it could be construed by some as being a **** i always make sure to offer them a cappuccino or a pot of tea. Some folk have a laugh and don’t seem to mind and some folk turn nasty but at least i havn’t verbally abused them or slammed a door in their face.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

kill your television . . .

honestly i haven’t got one and i don’t miss it

Junkyard
    Free Member

somafunk I have no idea why you care so much and no idea why you think your witty approach is kinder and not rude.

dryroasted
    Free Member

Somafunk i like it, couldnt do it myself though, i would feel too bad.

patriotpro
    Free Member

santacruzsi – Member
    Just make sure virgin is available in your area before the haggle with sky. A mate tried it and sky said “go on then” knowing full well virgin wasn’t available in that area!

Not that it would bother me but for those that do NEED sky that’s a very good point!

patriotpro
    Free Member

dryroasted – Member
    Somafunk i like it, couldnt do it myself though, i would feel too bad couldn’t be arsed

😉

somafunk

If i desire a product i will source it myself and whilst i have one of these signs (below) that i got from that moneysavingexpertsite on my front door i still get avon/kleeneze/unwanted clothing charity bags etc through my door and the occasional cold caller who considers my sign does not apply to them so if i have the time i’ll engage them – simple as that, i don’t consider it witty nor is it rude.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Freesat HD here for the last few years now. Thoroughly enjoy *not* spending £40+ for Sky anymore. I really don’t miss the sport as much as I used to and ITV4 has decent coverage of the main cycling events. The box ‘paid’ for itself in a matter of months.

yoshimi

Just got a youview box – freeview hd, record pause etc, iplayer, itv player, 4od, 5 player, nowtv plus lovefilm coming soon – subscription free and I’m happy with it

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cancelled our Sky a year ago not missed it. I can get myself to live premiership rugby orother sports once a month for what I was paying for Sky. I think our annual bill had grown to a grand, totally put of control. Now watch free view and a lot of online stuff, iPlayer etc

seadog101

I was stunned when I called BT to move up to a better broadband package.

Moved from 10 to 40Gb/month, all the same stuff as before (deals on international calls etc etc..), plus the BT Vision kit, for the grand sum of an extra £4 a month over the next year…

ChrisA
    Free Member

Horses for courses, personally I wouldn’t be without sky or sky+. £40 a month isn’t a lot of money for whats on offer especially if your a sports fan. If I had to go to the pub to watch the football, I’d be spending more than £40 a month.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Freesat card in your Sky+ box and off you go.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

You can save money by haggling!
    My sky bill shrunk by 35% after a long conversation with them.
    My BT bill is down by 15%.
    My vodaphone bill by 20%.

I signed no new contracts, lost no benefits, and could cancel any at any time.

Give yourself a few hours and give it a go! It works!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Don't want to give my 48 quid a month to Sky anymore.’ is closed to new replies.