Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Don't like the clicky hope hubs, what new ones?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

I’ll admit it, I’m a disbeliever, I hate the clicky hope hubs. I know, pedal more etc, but really they are loud enough on a downhill when you’re carving some graceful turns, that they drive you to distraction. So, what to replace them with? Something tough, preferably with cartridge bearings (cone spanners still drive me insane) and not going to cost the earth. Riding is mainly XC, very little jumping but relatively high mileage so low maintenance would be good!

stcolin
    Free Member

Superstar hubs? I’ve been running a Switch EVO rear for a month now and no issues so far…

weeksy

the clicky hubs distract you ? Seriously ?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

They aren’t bad, grease them up a bit if they are really loud.

Northwind

DT240 is quieter, but can be a wee bit erratic, sometimes almost silent, sometimes relatively loud- that can be annoying.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, after years on a completely silent Shimano LX rear, I’ve come to hate the sound of a clicky hub. My road hus are totally silent and I love it. Pretty useless on the MTB though!

hammermason
    Free Member

You’re not alone!
    Love to buy British but they dang iratatin’.

ski
    Free Member

CK hub?

😉

jasonm945
    Free Member

I second superstar.

messiah
    Free Member

I put some oil in mine and it makes them much quieter for a few months; and repeat.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Yes drive me mad, sound like one of those rattles youd see at football matches – had to borrow a pair of wheels once and I pedalled the whole way as I couldn’t stand it. The guy I ride with also has them – evenbhis drive me nuts at times.

Why spoil the peaceful bliss of coasting down hill with that racket

I suspect those that like them also used to out bits of plastic next to their tyres as kids to make it sound like they had an engine . . . .

martymac

ive been using a dmr revolver hub for a couple of years now, bought because it was cheaper than hope.
    no problems at all, much quieter than hope, freehub pawls much stronger than shimano. (i weigh 21.5 stone, used to be 23 stone so a fair bit of stress through the freehub)

greeble
    Free Member

put some thick grease in there. The build quality is great I wouldn’t ditch them just because of the noise.

ransos
    Free Member

Just grease ’em up.

extremo
    Free Member

goldtec hubs, still a slight click, but very subtle and uk made

wrecker
    Free Member

The Bontrager hubs a riding buddy has on his remedy are near silent. My Crossmax’s are very quiet (but quite spendy). What about Rovals?

Haze

Want mine louder!

molgrips
    Free Member

Shimano..?

woody74

I agree I hate the clicking. I go riding to get some peace.

cartwheels

Absolutely recommend dmr revolver for good value and very quiet
    Bought a rear 8-9 years ago, as a cheap alternative to hope.
    Done a lot of winter rides, no maintenance , only just now,
    could do with fresh bearings as they are sounding a bit dry/rough.

mattjg
    Free Member

The Whyte branded ones on my T129S, which I believe are Formula, are near silent.

I found I get used to the Hope ones though.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted some Crossmax wheel’s, missing my loud Hope’s

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Don't like the clicky hope hubs, what new ones?’ is closed to new replies.