Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Don’t know much biology…
  • DezB
    Free Member

But Jeez, this “Stomach bypass” thing? Can’t be good for ya?

Was watching that Inside Out prog about bike theft and followed that was this fat biffer (no sympathy – KFC buckets etc.) having her stomach operated on to get (in her hubby’s words) “that figure” (arf).
    Apparently, they greatly reduce the size of the stomach and drastically shorten the intestine, so food goes straight out the sh1tter.
    I always thought the intenstine was long so the body could absorb nutrients etc from the food on its way to being digested.. seems not. I’ll be tuning in next week (mainly to see if her massive double chin will turn into a pelican-like flap dangling off her face)
    On the iPlayer if anyone cares!
    Scarey stuff.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s glandular.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s genetic.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johni
    Free Member

It’s glandular, yep down to that big gland under your nose.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

what, like an overatcive eating gland?

Junkyard
    Free Member

one of my work colleagues has had this done as once you get past 40 you are in big trouble (not surprising really) health wise.
    It has worked but she only ate soup for mths.
    They loose weight so fast and have been so erm *big boned* that they have excess skin .. like those dogs …nice.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

(mainly to see if her massive double chin will turn into a pelican-like flap dangling off her face)

LOL!

Dez, that’s fooking cruel. Still bluddy funny though!

nicko74

…don’t know much trigonometry…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Overactive Pie Arm

Daveb575
    Free Member

Genetic – oversized mouth gene and an undersized arse gene 😆

Daveb575
    Free Member

Jokin aside, how the hell to get from the “ooh I’m putting a bit of weight on” stage to the lying on your back six feet wide in pool of your own s**t and p*ss because you can’t get up stage. It beggars belief.

DezB
    Free Member

Cruel? Moi?

I really, genuinely wanted to know about the shorter intestine thing!
    Where’s that DrP?

Fagus
    Free Member

I used to meet a surgeon down the pub, and he reckoned that we had 32 feet (or similar) of intestine and we could all make do with less than half of that. He used to operate on cancer patients, and he had no qualms about chopping away big chunks of intestine. Reckoned that there was no real harm in doing that. He’s dead now!

wwaswas

“He’s dead now!”

disgruntled customer?

DezB
    Free Member

I got the impression the “big chunk” would be all that’s left after this op.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I knew someone who used to take a drug for obesity which sends any fatty food ‘straight through’ before you get a chance to digest it. (Lipidor IIRC?)

He had a Mcdonalds, went shopping and then messed himself in the middle of Asda.

Obviously as a nurse it would have been totally wrong of me to find that hugely funny in any way. *wipes away tear and coughs a bit*

DezB
    Free Member

Good point though… she’ll have to eat her Bargain Bucket (probably a Happy Meal post-op) whilst sitting on the bog.. surely.

DrP

You’re right – the gut is nice an’ long to absorb fluid and nutrients, but in reality (as has been said) we can usually make do (after a bit of adjustment) with a lot less gut.
    Some people even have to have the whole large intestine removed, and generally do OK…

The gastric band effectively ‘shrinks’ the stomach by banding off a large portion – this helps people lose weight by making ‘stuffing their faces’ (medical term – look it up) uncomfortable.

What is interesting is that a lot of these people who “cannot lose weight no matter what they do, and this is the last resort” actually lose 3-5 stone prior to the op so they can even undergo surgery. Odd eh!

Name this phrase…

DrP

Ambrose

Hmmm. I’m feeling peckish now…..

DezB
    Free Member

That’s cleared it up then. Cheers!

mosschops
    Free Member

ah ha!

this gives me a rare opportunity to point out the terror of “anal leakage” induced by a soon to be avaialble OTC dwug for weight loss

Could have a huge affect on the cleaning bills of public transport

beware the orange oil my friends beware…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatorrhea

RudeBoy
    Free Member

DrP, can you get me some Valium please?

DrP

From the BNF, this is the official side effect list for an anti obesity drug…
    “oily leakage from rectum, flatulence, faecal urgency, liquid or oily stools, faecal incontinence, abdominal distension and pain”

Makes you think a few extra sit ups are worth it eh!

DrP

Drac

“The Who eight pies”

sootyandjim
    Free Member

“Over-active Pie Arm”, lol. I shall try to make use of the term OPA today at some point.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Makes you think a few extra sit ups are worth it eh!

DrP

Some classic lines from the famous Doc P. Had me giggling, anyway!
    😀

DezB
    Free Member

“oily leakage from rectum, flatulence, faecal urgency..”

Imagine how attractive and happy she’s going to be after the operation..

willard

Happy? Yes… Reduced strain on her load-bearing joints, reduced risk of dying from the folds of fat on her neck suffocating her during sleep, reduced risk of heart problems…

Mind you, initially she’s going to be in a world of hurt.

midlifecrashes

I think it’s a good idea, have you seen what it’s done to Fearne off the telly like?

Before:

After:

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Don’t know much biology…’ is closed to new replies.