Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Don't know if this is a silly question about tube patching…
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Is it ok to use bits of other, trashed, tubes to patch ones with fewer holes?…

midlifecrashes

Yes, it’s fine.

Wash off any slime or french chalk/talc though.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Excellent 🙂 This makes me happy. I had run out of patches and have a heap of tubes to fix. I guess any kind of rubber solution glue is ok to use too then?

I feel all thrifty and recyclicious now 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm, I had no idea this worked!

simondbarnes

It works fine, have done it loads of times 🙂

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I wondered about this the other week and couldn’t find anyone who had tried it on the interweb. Let us know how you get on.

hels
    Free Member

And you know, you can also use nail polish to fix holes in your tights….

jojoA1
    Free Member

Hels, I tend to use nail polish to hide the fact that I have oil ingrained underneath…

Another thrifty tip for bikeyness is stitching torn tyres with dental floss, then sealing with rubber solution glue. Mon cher Ex did it quite proficiently a couple of times…. the dental floss thing.

hels
    Free Member

I guess tippex works better in Scotland anyway !

TheBrick
    Free Member

For added pro points feather the edge of you DIY patch, a belt sander is best for this but normal sandpaper will do.

underthethumb
    Free Member

Nice, i remember getting tubes fixed growing up in Nigeria, most garages would have a guy known as a “vulcaniser”. He would take the wheel off (car, bike, motorbike) whip out the tube, find the leak, cut a patch off an old tube to fit the hole, clamp the whole lot on a steel plate and under an old upturned piston head, fill the piston head with petrol and put a match to the petrol, the heat and pressure fixed the patch onto the tube everytime. Put it back into the wheel and you were good to go..

Beats Kwik Fit everytime, though not recommended for your garage/wooden shed or kitchen

cynic-al
    Free Member

If I’d started this thread the haterz would be flaming me for being a tight bodger.

But if a hot female starts it… 🙄

Or even Jojo 😛

aracer
    Free Member

For added pro points feather the edge of you DIY patch

My patch kit patches don’t have feathered edges – can’t say I can tell the difference.

juan
    Free Member

Will work just fine my dear 😉
    You’ll need to prep thoroughly both the tube and the patch, and use indeed vulcanising glue.
    HTH
    XXJ

jojoA1
    Free Member

😛 to you too Mr Cynic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Don't know if this is a silly question about tube patching…’ is closed to new replies.