Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Don’t hate me (new gravel bike)
  • dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Genuinely love my Goldrush, brilliant on the badger divide, but also capable enough to do the beast in the peaks. Changed the bars for wider ones and added a dropper post, put on some x-wide Hunt wheels. It is just brilliant, off to gravel Dieppe to Paris and back in a couple of weeks, comfy, quick and capable. The geometry is spot on 👍👍

matt_outandabout

There’s some well priced bikes over at Merlin cycles

I’ve one of the Merlin own brand bikes.

It’s nice, light, well specced.
    It’s got quite narrow tyre clearance – maybe 40/42mm in the back.
    I’ve put a few thousand miles on mine, and it’s holding up well.
    If you ever want to run mudguards, don’t bother as the fork is missing half the mounts (!) and the frame mounts vary from tapped to random holes. And Merlin don’t give a fig about it.

DrJ

Mason Bokeh

Over £1000 above OP’s budget. What makes it worth it? (Genuine question)

MarkyG82

My thoughts exactly. I did wonder when I asked for 1.5-2k (full bikes) why the bokeh was suggested. Nice though.

Current list is:
    Canondale Topstone (available local at discount)
    One one Rujo (availability?)
    Titus Goldrush (good value)
    Nukeproof Digger (good value but not local)

I guess the first look should be the Topstone as there are some available at a good local shop at a discount. So good support and availablity. Plus the whole local business thing.

MarkyG82

So I’m testing the following, both in alloy frame version:

Cannondale Topstone 1
    Giant Revolt 0

Mostly because that’s what’s in stock in my size at my local shop. I like the look of them both but leaning towards the Topstone due to the Saab Vs Ford nature of the brand’s. Never had a Cannondale. Will happily get the Giant if it’s a better ride as they obviously know how to build a bike.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Cyclingtips have just done a bit of a group test of gravel bikes

Our favorite bikes from the 2022 gravel and all-road Field Test

MarkyG82

Thanks I did see that too. Looks like the salsa is popular. A quick search shows it’s hard to come by (as are many). Being small I actually need a small bike. It’s not like I can go for a medium with longer stem and post if I needed a large.

MarkyG82

So tested both bikes today and settled on the Cannondale. Stem is touch long but the rest is great.

Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.