Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Done got me a fat one…(bike).
  • fin25
    Free Member

After all the fat bike musings and 4″ or 5″ tyres thread recently, I started to ponder whether my 29 plus bike was fat enough. I mean, I’ve got a beard, I drink real ale, I love people looking at me and I have zero actual riding skillz. All things considered, this was the only choice…

Only been round the block on it, love it, gonna marry it (especially given the effect its arrival may have on my current marriage).

I am no longer fat curious. Just fat…

fd3chris
    Free Member

Looks good ?

NormalMan

Love it 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    superstu
    Free Member

Ooh I like that. Don’t know much about these, did you get it frame only or full build?

MoreCashThanDash

, I drink real ale, I love people looking at me and I have zero actual riding skillz.

That’s my new bike choice sorted! 😀

Great looking bike btw

SaxonRider

Very, very nice. Plus, you have pretty much described me. Are we the same person?

roverpig

Good choice. Look forward to hearing how you get on with it. Those full builds look like cracking value at the moment, although I think they only have a few large and XS left.

1-shed
    Free Member

Nice that, now ride it like you’ve had a big dinner. Cheers 1 shed.

fin25
    Free Member

Full build, was going pretty (still not) cheap and the stock spec is pretty decent.
    Just needs a dropper and a bluto now (and some new hubs in my 29 plus wheels)…
    I brought forward buying it because stocks were looking low.

fin25
    Free Member

Though I have to admit that buying it full built is far less satisfying than building it yourself.

fin25
    Free Member

All tucked up in bed after our first proper ride out. 20 miles of bridleway, fire road and a couple of nice bits of singletrack. Plenty of up, plenty of down.
    Bugger me this bike is fun!
    Need to get fitter for climbing though…
    Seriously, GRIP!!!

singletracksurfer

What 29+ did/do you have? I love my krampus and not ridden a fat extensively but although fun and masses more grip I’m still not sure I need to get fully fat. Please convince me (my wife) otherwise.

I really fancy a Jones plus or something which will run 29+ and fat tyre options, like a Lamere.

fin25
    Free Member

Got a 2015 Genesis Longitude, it’s great, I just wanted something that could be 29 plus and fat, best of both worlds and all that. Also, nice to have the Bluto option and better dropper post options than the Longitude.

roverpig

Good to see it looking dirty 🙂 How much harder did you find it on the climbs than your 29+ ?

MadBillMcMad

your love will grow & grow.

Had mine about 2-3 months now – awesome.
    Every time I ride it I just can’t help but be amazed at how nimble it is.

I can descend things that I checken out on on the 4″ OnOne Fatty.
    I can climb things faster than ever.
    I did the Mary Towneley (with added bonus 20 miles) the other day & it just kept going.

It just does not make sense.

fin25
    Free Member

Hard to say, roverpig, as the 29 plus is ss, this was my first outing with gears in nearly a year. Also, have been pretty ill lately, so fitness is a bit shot. I got up there without pushing though…
    There was noticeably more traction when climbing got a bit technical but the front did wander a bit more than my 29 plus, but I put this down to the ICT being a bit shorter in the toptube.
    Still figuring out pressures, but ended up with about 6psi front and 7psi rear, felt like I could go lower, and this is with tubes.

MadBillMcMad

fin25,
    tubeless is dead easy with those tyres & rims.

fin25
    Free Member

Will be going tubeless soon, just not had time yet. How much Stan’s you put in? I’m thinking about half a bottle per tyre?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Will be going tubeless soon, just not had time yet. How much Stan’s you put in? I’m thinking about half a bottle per tyre?

It’s 2x more tread (where the sealant ends up) than a 2.4″, so about 2x more sealant, 100-150ml is more than fine IME.

MadBillMcMad

I did 3 scoops (I think).

Bit pissed when I got a nick in the sidewall but tipped the tyre on it’s side & the Stans did what it was supposed to do.

fin25
    Free Member

Was given a 3 hour pass yesterday, so popped up Sherwood Pines for a quick lap.
    Because of the diversions there’s a bit more climbing now (only a bit though). The front end is still a bit wandery, but I’m fairly sure it’s me still adjusting to a shorter TT and needing to shift my weight a bit more.

This bike is a bloody hooligan! Get it up to speed and hang on, it just flies through everything. The amount of grip got me almost horizontal round berms and the obligatory mud section saw zero sliding about, just blew straight through it.

Still not used to having gears, I reckon this’ll be going ss soon.
    Also, the Guide RS brakes, for anyone that cares, are really very good.

fin25
    Free Member

You were right MadBillMcMad, tubeless was a piece of piss. Needed an extra layer of Gorilla tape on one side to seat the bead into the rim, but got both tyres inflated with a skinny track pump and some elbow grease. Got about 100ml of fluid in each, but might put a bit more in as the front needed a bit to help seal around the bead.
    Absolutely flew into work on it the other day, the happiest I’ve turned up to work in ages.
    Going Cannock tomorrow to give it a proper ride. If you don’t hear from me again, it’ll be because I’ve gone to fatty heaven. 8)

fin25
    Free Member

Been out exploring the local bridleways and tow-paths during our little rainy season…

Got a bit muddy today…

Plenty of mud clearance though, even with 5″ rubber. Was good of the front mech to bring all that goop home though.

I’ve found a load of bridleways that have either been mashed up by horses/tractors and are now full of slimy ruts and puddles or that don’t seem to get used a lot and have become very overgrown. Slimy, wet trails followed by long grass would have killed my other bike in no time, but the truck just floated over it or barrelled through it like it was nothing.
    Now I’ve got used to gears again, climbing is easy, especially when the trail gets a bit slippy or technical, there’s just so much traction.
    You even look forward to bits of road so you can do a bit of high speed mud removal from the tyres!

I really like riding this bike.

zippykona

Welcome to The Mudpluggers.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Nice 😀

fin25
    Free Member

I think the thing I like about it the most is that I don’t have to look at the weather or worry about where I’m going because the truck will carry me through just about anything. The only limiting factors are my fitness (or lack thereof) and skills (or lack thereof).
    It’s also the most fun I’ve ever had on a bike. 😀

zippykona

Last winter I actively sought out the areas that I knew would be the muddiest.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve seen on tin that it’s 250ml per tyre for tubeless success, is that overkill?

Nice bike btw

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Looking good. Good to see a dirty bike for a change on here!

I love my Surly too!
    They re gggggreat!

fin25
    Free Member

I’ve got about 100ml in each tyre Steve, had a bit leak out of the bead at first, but been strong since, will probably put a bit more in though. 250ml does seem like overkill though.

pb2

My fat bike has given me more MTB mojo than any other bike bar none, I just luv fat bikes – there I have said it in public, fat is fab 😀

roverpig

I wont clutter up your thread with pictures of mine, but you are right; there is something strangely endearing about the Truck. It’s not a complicated thing and maybe that’s part of the appeal. It’s not trying to be something it’s not and it’s a gentle reminder that the right geometry and the right tyres are pretty much all you need to have a bit of fun on a bike.

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s not a complicated thing and maybe that’s part of the appeal. It’s not trying to be something it’s not and it’s a gentle reminder that the right geometry and the right tyres are pretty much all you need to have a bit of fun on a bike

Pretty much sums it up for me

Great to have a bike that just keeps giving

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen on tin that it’s 250ml per tyre for tubeless success, is that overkill?

I suspect that 100-150 probably isn’t enough to seal a full on torn sidewall, but equally it’s 150g less rotating* weight.

*is it / isn’t it? It may slosh about and not spin up quite as quickly as the wheel, but neither does it just sit there in the bottom.

fin25
    Free Member

I wont clutter up your thread with pictures of mine

feel free, I can look at pictures of trucks all day.

TINAS, stop, you’re making me paranoid!

roverpig

Here you go then 🙂 Although I’ve just noticed that I don’t have any pictures of it looking dirty. Should be able to fix that tonight though 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TINAS, stop, you’re making me paranoid!

I only run 100ml or thereabouts, anything bigger is likely to need some sort of proper repair anyway, so may as well put a tube in.

fin25
    Free Member

roverpig, that scenery does the truck some real justice, I wish I lived somewhere like that!
    I bet you’re well happy… 🙂

fin25
    Free Member

Also, how do you find the Jumbo Jims?

roverpig

Yes, mustn’t grumble 🙂 Although you can keep beach riding. Makes for a nice arty shot, but I’m afraid I just don’t get it. Each to their own though.

I had a nice long demo on the stock ICT. Switching to the lighter wheels/tyres does pretty much what you’d expect. It’s faster. In fact I’ve been surprised by how little it gives up compared to my “normal” trail bikes. But you lose a bit of that “ride over anything” feel you get with the Bud/Lou on Clownshoe combo. Like most things with bikes really; not better, not worse, just different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Done got me a fat one…(bike).’ is closed to new replies.