Viewing 40 posts - 23,321 through 23,360 (of 23,895 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
    maccruiskeen

So, anything other than a collective “who cares!”shrug about the Hunter Biden guilty verdict on STW? Or do we think the Reps or the Dems will make political capital out of it?

The case itself was pretty cut and dried – what will be interesting is the sentencing in that quite large jail terms are an option but that would typically call for other aggravating factors – organised crime and violence  basically. Its unlikely he’d get jail time but the fact that quite a long sentence is possible will make it seem like not receiving a custodial sentence will be the result of favouritism  or interference

Will be interesting to see how the MAGA crowd react – I’m not sure how the republican gun lobby can square it with their insistence on wider gun use and fewer checks if the whole case is just about a bit of admin

– the specifics crime – ticking / not ticking the right box in relation to drug use when purchasing a gun… its a fairly low bar in terms of gun control to leave it up to the purchaser to self declare their suitability for gun ownership in that respect –  but the republicans would argue  that even that check shouldn’t be there. (or that the form itself should be armed or something, other that drug councillors should be armed or something )

Theres also…

DJTJ’s ex has discussed his drug use publicly (and there was evidence of cocaine use in the Whitehouse during his time there)  – so if theres a similar tick on a similar form somewhere he’s in the frame for the same chargers.

scuttler

On these guilty verdicts regarding Biden and Trump, last time I checked only one is a presidential nominee 🤷

DNGAF

Poopscoop

scuttler
    On these guilty verdicts regarding Biden and Trump, last time I checked only one is a presidential nominee 🤷

DNGAF

Just a general comment, not specific to Biden here.

MAGA/the far right across the world have no problems doing some huge mental gymnastics on stuff like this mostly helped by an amazing ability to cope with planet sized hypocrisy… Yet the slightest sign of that from the “liberal left” is jumped on like it’s an afront to humanity.

Hence, far right types can go all nationalist and patriotic to the nth degree yet still pal up with Putin who would love nothing more than to weaken the democracy/country they profess to love.

I’m not sure it belongs in this thread, TBH. But it also doesn’t fit with the Gaza thread. But Poop’s comment above highlights a weird trend here where far-right knobbers, who were previously threatening synagogues, are now flying Israel flags. There is nothing that defines them but their desire to be opposite to liberals. So yeah, they will bang on about how gun control is working because it caught HB while simultaneously opposing gun control. It’s just owning the libs. Thankfully, even though it seems worse, it is a small minority. Apocryphally, I’m seeing fewer Trump stickers and flags in this painfully red county. While still seeing election shit for ‘Vote conservative with…’ type boards and adverts. Even these staunch reps are shying away a bit from openly cheering Trump even though they’re surely going to vote for his shit-soiled arse.

alpin
    Free Member

Recently saw a video where Trump supporters were played “new found audio” of supposed Trump dialogue. The clips were created with AI but the supporters reactions to it were genuine.

Despite Trump “admitting” to various nefarious things including being late to in interview due to a blood test to verify whether Ivanka was his, because your know, who’d want to miss out on hitting that ass.

vlad_the_invader

Excellent point, well summarized Poop 👍

thepodge
    Free Member

In reply to 10’s comment. I think there’s a fair dose of trying to own the libs but also a case of white nationalism… if there is an option to choose sides and one side isn’t white, well its a no brainer for them.

ernielynch
    Free Member

I wonder how this latest example of the United States losing its previous grip on the region is going to be seen:

https://www.tipranks.com/news/u-s-saudi-petrodollar-pact-ends-after-50-years

thols2
    Free Member

Well, at least Lindsey Graham is still the shit-eating **** he’s always been. Why would the highest court in the land need to have any ethics? They should be able to have their lifetime positions, with no electoral oversight, and do whatever the **** they want. This would never pass anyway; there would always be someone looking to curry favor and try to block it. And Graham is the kind of feeble-minded **** who would see this as a great way to advertise himself to the Trump-loving skidmarks of the conservative voters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/sen-lindsey-graham-says-will-block-democrats-effort-unanimously-pass-s-rcna156669

convert

Well that went well.

No coming back from here I fear. Biden is finished, and too late to get someone parachuted in and get the recognition needed.

I fear we need to get used to Trump 2.0 being a done deal. And it’s Biden’s fault – what a deluded fool. I genuinely thought in 2020 he had a good enough grip on reality to appreciate his main role once Trump was beaten was to be the warm up guy for the next generation. So disappointing he didn’t.

piemonster

Any links for those not paying attention? /\/\

ratherbeintobago

Guardian reporting that there are calls for him to stand aside. Problem is ‘for who?’

longdog
    Free Member

Article on BBC is pretty damning of sleepy Joe’s performance and excuses that he had a cold and a generally toned down Trump.

Surely they have to get Kamla in? These two are the best the whole of  USA can offer? I thought our choices were bad, but this is disastrous.

MoreCashThanDash

All reports suggest he’s blown it.

Bugger.

ratherbeintobago

Yes and no. Apparently the debates don’t really have a huge effect on the polls, and what effect they do have tends to be transient. We can all hope.

Ewan
    Free Member

Shit. Watched about 30 seconds of it. Pretty bad..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Kamala would also be a disaster. She is very unpopular.

Biden blown this, he should never of stood.

God help us and all Western democracies. Project 2025 is incoming.

If you haven’t heard of it, google it. Scary shit.

pictonroad

They’ve done it again. First Clinton who was loathed by a huge proportion of swing voters and now this.

The US Democratic party are absolutely useless at any form of future planning. The whole world suffers from their failure to make basic good early decisions.

Caher

Putin must be cackling away in the Kremlin. A Trump presidency will be a disaster for Europe. How on earth are the democrats not reacting to this.

BruceWee

Problem is ‘for who?’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Newsom

Yes and no. Apparently the debates don’t really have a huge effect on the polls, and what effect they do have tends to be transient. We can all hope.

Debates might not but countless youtube clips of Biden mumbling incoherently will.

Biden is done.  The only hope is a contested convention and someone like Gavin Newson getting the pick.

It will probably still end up being Trump but if Biden doesn’t drop out it will be Trump.

butcher

Debates might not but countless youtube clips of Biden mumbling incoherently will.

Yep, this is the biggest issue people have with Biden and it’s not going to go unnoticed.

It’s very worrying now.

thepurist

Maybe it’s a genius move from the Dems – get to the point where the swing voters think “anyone else would be better than these two” then wheel out the real candidate who fits the “anyone else” brief.

mrbadger
    Free Member

Ffs. I’ve said it  before on here, but the Democrats could pretty much field anyone else as a candidate and they would have a 90% chance of winning.

Instead they pick a guy who is pretty much senile and the world will need to put up with the disaster that is Trump once again. If Biden had a shred of self awareness, or actually cared about the country he leads, he’d step down immediately from the race to make way for another candidate. As convert says, if Trump wins this one it is very much on Biden

timba
    Free Member

First Clinton who was loathed by a huge proportion of swing voters and now this.

I’m thinking that Donald Trump will be caught by swing votes and a silent proportion of the electorate. The Democratic Party could have played the events of the last couple of years much better, but I really don’t see a viable option to President Biden

Coyote
    Free Member

I look around the world at it’s various leaders and genuinely wonder, is the best that humanity has to offer?

Poopscoop

Shit. I’m so upset for Ukraine.

It’s a bloody tragedy. NATO, UK and the EU must step up.

Biden needs to look in the mirror and realise that the best thing he can do for America, Ukraine, the west… Is step down.

maccruiskeen

By the same measure though – it’s hard to make clips of Trump when he isn’t incoherent. ‘Clips’ – isolated moments –  are the weapon used against Biden – Trump’s Achilles heal is unedited live streaming. He’s always been known from his off-script adlibs but they’ve become longer and longer.

A few days ago Fox was broadcasting one of his rallies and the just had to pull the plug on him as he went down some weird cul de sac about washing machines for dishes (if only was a catchy name for those)

MoreCashThanDash

but I really don’t see a viable option to President Biden

As it stands, there isn’t.  But there’s a real risk we’ll get President Trump again.

kimbers

Worry is the Democrats won’t act quickly enough on this.

They’ve got 4 months so they need to select someone now and get them building momentum

Trump is vulnerable simply because he’s not much worse than Biden when it comes to be a bumbling old codger.

Whatever happens it has to be done fast

kelvin

Trump doesn’t have to make sense. Biden does. It’s not fair, but that’s how it is. Europe has a lot of work to do in the next 5 years… and we’re not exactly in the right place economically or politically right now to get that right I fear. Putin’s parties are going to be epic.

Poopscoop

kimbers
    Worry is the Democrats won’t act quickly enough on this.

Yes, there is time but they and Biden must be decisive. Biden can come out of this well, he would be respected for stepping down, it shows respect for the office. It’s the right thing to do and puts country before politics.

timba
    Free Member

They’ve got 4 months so they need to select someone now and get them building momentum

I don’t think that it’s viable:

Joe Biden would need to stand down – no indications of that

There isn’t a mechanism available now.

There’s a Democratic Party national convention in August to rally around their Presidential (and VP) nominations

It would mean overturning the primaries where Joe Biden won by a massive majority

You can’t just “promote” VP Harris. She would become President, but not Democratic Party nominee

martinhutch
    Free Member

I hate this, because polling-wise Biden still probably beats all his potential replacements in a match-up against Trump. I’m not sure why he is agreeing to debates when neither of them is the nominee yet.

Harris/Newsom/Whitmer are the obvious choices, but they haven’t got their election and fundraising machines rolling.

dazh

Slow hand clap for the democrats. Some of us said months ago it was blindingly obvious Biden couldn’t be the anti-trump candidate, and now everyone can see why.  Four more years of Trump on the way thanks to the hubris of arrogant and incompetent democrat senators and representatives. Nice work!

nickc

They’ve done it again. First Clinton who was loathed by a huge proportion of swing voters and now this.

So is Trump, anyone educated, most women, most of the black and Hispanic community all loathe him.

binners

As an American you must be feeling today how a lot of felt in the UK in December 2019… are you ****ing serious? I have to choose between one of these pair of clowns?

A second presidency for the orange shitgibbon is now looking like a horrible inevitability, isn’t it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I hate this, because polling-wise Biden still probably beats all his potential replacements in a match-up against Trump. I’m not sure why he is agreeing to debates when neither of them is the nominee yet.

Polling suggests otherwise

In an “any democrat but Biden” Vs Trump, “any democrat but Biden” wins.

In an “any republican but Trump” Vs Biden, any republican but Trump” wins.

Both are really incredibly unpopular with swing voters.  I think people outside the USA are only just catching onto this because all our news just focuses on Trump being bad but not what a problem Biden’s age is.

ratherbeintobago

I thought O’Rourke looked great but he seems to have fizzled.

Buttegeig could be good but will never get elected.

Viewing 40 posts - 23,321 through 23,360 (of 23,895 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.