Viewing 40 posts - 22,721 through 22,760 (of 23,090 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • somafunk

A grave is the only bunker I’d like to see trump dig his way out of with a sand wedge

frankconway

The judge, he say…no extension donny so the clock is now ticking.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/22/politics/trump-engoron-civil-fraud-order/index.html

vlad_the_invader

Sooooo, if he has ran out of time wasting options and doesn’t have the cash, what’s next?

(please say prison!)

somafunk

Forced Asset sale if he cannot pay

frankconway

he’s appealing – well, he isn’t; as usual, he’s said he will appeal the judgement.
    If he can’t/won’t, personally, put up the readies he can – in theory – borrow from a bank, use a bond company, put up assets.
    Bank or bond company are likely to see him as a potential bad debt and apply extortionate/usurious interest – goody, goody.
    His freedom to manoeuvre is constrained by the court appointed independent monitor – former federal judge – and independent compliance ditrector who will be appointed by the monitor.

Northwind

TBF, this “must pay before you can appeal” system is deeply shitty, and it’s created a whole deeply shitty bond industry much like that have with bail bonds where being innocent of a crime can still absolutely financially destroy you and where people simply can’t afford or don’t dare to appeal.

But on this occasion…

vlad_the_invader

where being innocent of a crime can still absolutely financially destroy you and where people simply can’t afford or don’t dare to appeal. not roll over and plead guilty before the case even gets to court

FTFY

oldnpastit

Sooooo, if he has ran out of time wasting options and doesn’t have the cash, what’s next?
    (please say prison!)

This is a civil case, no prison. But isn’t the Manhattan DA, Alvin Bragg, eyeing up criminal charges based on all that juicy evidence?

(On top of the Stormy Daniels payoff case).

vlad_the_invader

This is a civil case, no prison.

So even failing to pay court imposed fines wouldn’t result in prison, no matter how big the fine? If so, that’s disappointing…

mattyfez

I dunno about US law, but in a civil case in the UK, the court would appoint bailiffs to seize physical property and assets, if he refuses to pay the fine or agree to a strict payment schedule set out by the court.

nickc

TBF, this “must pay before you can appeal” system is deeply shitty

But isn’t unique or new, and Trump’s legal team must have known and advised Trump of such. He could of chosen not to make dodgy business deals that landed him ultimately in the situation he now finds himself.

maccruiskeen

This is a civil case, no prison.

So even failing to pay court imposed fines wouldn’t result in prison, no matter how big the fine?

I’ve met a person, in prison, who were there following a civil case – they were behind bars because they  consistently didn’t comply with the outcome or pay the fines imposed. Long time ago now but I think he hadn’t paid his council tax.

So Trump wouldn’t go to jail because of this trial – but you could in theory be imprisoned for your actions in relation to the trial and its outcomes.

Bit like Chris Huhne managing to go to prison over a speeding ticket

leffeboy

“this “must pay before you can appeal” system is deeply shitty, ”
    Agreed, but the reverse side is if you are a small person up against a corp with deep pockets it stops you ending up forever in appeals. No obvious solution

vlad_the_invader

I’m surprised disappointed at least one judge hasn’t thrown him in prison for contempt of court. I’m pretty sure a lot of other defendants won’t have been given anywhere near as much latitude to take the piss as Trump has done…

Rich_s

I’ve met a person, in prison, who were there following a civil case – they were behind bars because they consistently didn’t comply with the outcome or pay the fines imposed. Long time ago now but I think he hadn’t paid his council tax.

That’s not a civil law thing. He’d been sent there by a magistrate. Clue is in the word “fine”. It’s likely because of an obligation from the state to pay your council tax.

Bit like Chris Huhne managing to go to prison over a speeding ticket

He was convicted for perverting the course of justice, not speeding. As was his ex.

Anyway, I’ve no idea how the yanks do things but it’s a fascinating thing to watch

MSP

I’m surprised disappointed at least one judge hasn’t thrown him in prison for contempt of court. I’m pretty sure a lot of other defendants won’t have been given anywhere near as much latitude to take the piss as Trump has done…

Yeah, I am so far amazed that the calling a judge corrupt, doesn’t bring far higher penalties.

zippykona

Does any of this reduce the chance of him becoming president?

nickc

No.

Personally, regardless of Trump individually, I think you should be able to vote for some-one even if they are in prison.

timba
    Free Member

Does any of this reduce the chance of him becoming president?

Person spec:

martinhutch

I see Liz Truss has turned up at CPAC on a platform next to the human dumpster that is Bannon, a natural progression in her epic political journey from fresh-faced LibDem teen to Monster Raving Loony candidate.

MoreCashThanDash

Personally, regardless of Trump individually, I think you should be able to vote for some-one even if they are in prison.

As proven by Bobby Sands, of course.

maccruiskeen

That’s not a civil law thing. He’d been sent there by a magistrate. Clue is in the word “fine”. It’s likely because of an obligation from the state to pay your council tax.

I was just pointing out that a civil case can start a chain of events that become a criminal case if you can’t or refuse to comply. Interestingly this guy was referred to as a ‘civil prisoner’ and clothes, privileges, conditions have more in common with the the folk on remand than those who were convicted although those things might also have been due to the sentence being pretty short – 14 days I think.

I think of all the people I met in there he was the unhappiest.

maccruiskeen

It may not precluding him being on the ballot paper and theres nothing in the constitution that expressly disallows it as it has probably not really been envisaged before now. But if elected there likely tools within the constitution relating to a president being incapacitated. So while you can vote for someone if they are in prison – if being in prison prevents the president from being able to do the job of president that might prevent them actually being inaugurated or result in their removal soon after.

I get the feeling if democracy in the US survives the next 5 years or so we might see a bit a polishing up of the constitution and a few new amendments to put some safety rails put in place to guard against some of this nonsense in future. Hindsight and all that.

oldnpastit

Judge Engoran has signed the order, so the clock starts ticking today – he has 30 days to appeal.

$454M in total.

I think if I had previously loaned money to Trump, at this point I would be wanting it back ASAP.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Yeah, I am so far amazed that the calling a judge corrupt, doesn’t bring far higher penalties.

Protected speech under the 1st amendment. You can also call the police fascist pigs and they have to suck it up.

Or they can shoot you.

smoothtalent
    Free Member

I have a bad feeling he is going to win.

Daffy

Yeah, but will he be utterly broke when he does? How will that play out when he’s not allowed to earn additional income during his time as POTUS? Will he even want the job?

dakuan
    Free Member

How will that play out when he’s not allowed to earn additional income during his time as POTUS?

Absolutely fine (for him)!

thols2

I’m hoping that these Republican voters who are unhappy with Trump keep to their word and either stay home or vote for Biden (or write in another name). If even 20% of Republicans do that, Trump will lose in a landslide and hopefully that will be the end of him politically.

tjagain

lets hope so. some of the worst gerrymandering seems to have been reversed as well

Trump defeated, court cases still ongoing, bankrupt him as when he has lost again his backers will desert him.;. Seems a decent outcome

white101

This has probably been mentioned a couple of pages back already, the Rest is Politics podcast with Campbell and Stewart (which I have to say even just listening to a couple, I would like it if political opponents could discourse in the same manner eg. adult) they spoke with Scaramucci.

I learned a lot about the funding rules for campaigns and US politics in general. Even if he is declared bankrupt and a fire sale takes place of property etc, I still think backers would find a way to financially support a trump campaign with little issue. The base will always crowdfund him and right wingers with very deep pockets will get around that $2k limit with ease.

You really have to hope he keeps upsetting the more placid republicans (sic?) who would like a return to some normality in their party. I don’t think even on this side of the water I could put up with his incessant BS tweets morning noon and night, god knows what its like on TV over there having to put up with the noise.

frankconway

Letitia James is trolling trump with daily updates on X stating how much interest has accrued on the, as yet unpaid, disgorgement plus interest.
    It’s about $110k per day – and rising!

maccruiskeen

ven if he is declared bankrupt and a fire sale takes place of property etc, I still think backers would find a way to financially support a trump campaign with little issue.

In campaigning terms his wealth is / was just part of his image – he somehow managed to keep forgetting to put any of his own money into the campaign – in the early days he would loan money to the campaign then take it back again.

Over the years he’s probably given more money to democrat campaigns than his own

mattyfez

Aparently Donny is appealing the $455million ruling on fraudulently inflating or under reporting his assets.

But has not posted the required $455million bond required in order to lodge an appeal.

Oh well… he’s got 30 days to rummage under the sofa.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-fraud-appeal-new-york-trial-b2502663.html

DickBarton

I think the 30 days started 3 days ago so he has 27 remaining…I think.

boomerlives
    Free Member

But has not posted the required $455million bond required in order to lodge an appeal

Apparently it needs to be 10% above this figure, so a nice round half billion should cover it.

Never going to happen.

pk13

He is going to sell or list TRUTH SOCIAL one the stock exchange. Instant best tec business man eva.
    1billon dollars

frankconway

Truth Social?
    I’m offering mac’n’fries with a bucket of coke.

EDIT: more seriously, in late 2023 trump estimated it’s value to be between $5 mill and $25 mill; cumulative losses  reported to be c$31.5 mill. Also reported that c$1 billion of investment capital was returned to investors; that may be correct but it sounds unlikely to me as trump isn’t known for giving or returning money – to anyone.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I get the feeling if democracy in the US survives the next 5 years or so we might see a bit a polishing up of the constitution and a few new amendments to put some safety rails put in place to guard against some of this nonsense in future. Hindsight and all that.

It’s a difficult line to draw though.

A few swings the other way and what if it was a (not quite so clearly too old) Biden being investigated by a Trump Partisan DoJ / Attorney Generals (not implying the current DoJ / AG’s are being partisan).

Unless you can completely rule out political interference in the justice system then I think it’s a good check and balance that the justice system shouldn’t be able to interfere with politics.

frankconway

trump has made it clear that the separation of powers – legislature from exective from judiciary – is something he wants to see gone.
    IF elected, he will threaten the constitution in ways unimagined to date.

Viewing 40 posts - 22,721 through 22,760 (of 23,090 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.