Viewing 40 posts - 22,681 through 22,720 (of 23,095 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • thols2

thols2

It’s inevitable, isn’t it.

Waderider
    Free Member

George Carlin didn’t have a very good grasp of statistics…..

convert

Very very good episode of the Leading Podcast (Alastair Campbell and Rory Stuart) with Anthony Scaramucci. Worth a listen if you’ve got an hour in the car or whatever coming up.

In fact the week before with Robert Sapolsky is very good too with a Trump element.

Other podcast providers available (although for some reason it doesn’t come up properly in Google podcasts)

frankconway

gofundme now $438k from 8800 donors; there have been a handful of donations >$10k.

martinhutch

here have been a handful of donations >$10k.

Don’t tell me, Russian expats or Saudis?

George Carlin didn’t have a very good grasp of statistics…..

Half of adults have a poorer than average grasp of statistics. 🙂

scuttler

Avg $50 per donation so at that rate they only need another 7 million donations. Bigly.

thols2

Half of adults have a poorer than average grasp of statistics.

I’m going to steal that.

thols2

Christ, when you don’t know what to say, don’t say anything.

martinhutch

He simply lacks the mental capacity now to put the brakes on his narcissistic need to make everything about The Donald.

pk13

Is He is hoping the following of his think it happened in the US?

I think those new York judgments are hitting home.

convert

That is a pretty baffling connection of thoughts/events.

oldnpastit

OK, so what’s wrong with the statement about 50% of people are below average (assuming we’re talking about median here of course)?

martinhutch

It’s about the actual definition of below average intelligence, the way IQ scores are designed, and the way that these scores are distributed across the population. Basically, anything from 90 to 110 IQ is defined as average, and half of all so in fact, a much smaller proportion of people (a quarter, roughly) are actually defined as ‘below average intelligence’.

eg:

Under 70 [mentally retarded] — 2.2%

70-80 [borderline retarded] — 6.7%

80-90 [low average] — 16.1%

90-110 [average] — 50%

110-120 [high average] — 16.1%

120-130 [superior] — 6.7%

Over 130 [very superior] — 2.2%

maccruiskeen

OK, so what’s wrong with the statement about 50% of people are below average (assuming we’re talking about median here of course)?

Conversationally we say ’average’ to mean normal or typical. But in mathematical terms isn’t it adding all the values in a group together and dividing by the number of values? So that can give atypical results as the ‘average’

If you have a group of ten people – 9 of them a quid and one has £1m then on average they all have £100,000 but also 90% or them have a below average amount of money.

But not for long as the millionaire is outnumbered and will soon be dead.

martinhutch

On average, we have fewer than two arms.

thols2

George Carlin didn’t have a very good grasp of statistics

But he had an excellent grasp of how to make people laugh at the world. Maybe he wasn’t intending his joke to be taken literally by nerds.

Twodogs

But he had an excellent grasp of how to make people laugh at the world. Maybe he wasn’t intending his joke to be taken literally by nerds

I was about to say, on average, most people seem to lack a sense of humour 🙄

nickc

That is a pretty baffling connection of thoughts/events.

That’s a pretty normal response in the US “Mainstream” Alternative Media space. The likes of Tucker, Info Wars, Ben Shapiro, a good percentage of the the right-wing political output of X/Twitter. It doesn’t surprise me at all that Trump shares those views.

Northwind

martinhutch

It’s about the actual definition of below average intelligence, the way IQ scores are designed,

More than half of all people probably noticed he didn’t mention IQ though?

thols2

Well, there’s a surprise, Trump’s trying to delay paying his penalties.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The DA will seize his assets. After all Mar e Largo is worth 1.5 billion isn’t it 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile compound interest is running at something like $87,000 a DAY!

All this while Letitia James is taking down the NRA for fraud too.

batfink
    Free Member

I find it a little suspicious that in the last 2 days he’s launched some very shonkly looking promotions – even for him, which are going to deliver him very little in terms of cash, and are hardly good for his image (although 80’s shopping channel host is the look his team are going for?).

I suspect he’s having real difficulty rustling-up even the bond part of the fine (or whatever it’s called) and has had a rummage in the bottom of his cupboard to see what prototype merch he can suddenly rush out to generate a bit of cash.  He has the same energy of an absent father in the toy section of his local Tesco on Christmas eve (please don’t ask me how I know).

maccruiskeen

I suspect he’s having real difficulty rustling-up even the bond part of the fine

A big problem with real-estate based wealth is everything is propping everything else up. The loan to buy property X was underwritten by a security on Propety Y and so on. He also – broadly, owns less that he seams to – he’s been a partner in a lot of his projects but tends only have a small stake – just putting his name on the front seems to be his contribution. A lot of his claimed worth he attributes simply to his name being on things and that therefore the value of that thing is due to him.

Trump Tower for instance – he only owns the bit at the top – which he ‘lives in’ when he can hold his nose and return to New York so gets no imcome from – and the retail space at the bottom – which should be prime retail space given its location but has been untenanted for a while is just a Trump/MAGA merch stall at present. It’s the apparent jewel in his crown but it’s kind of useless as an asset.

Also each asset is a Goose, not a golden egg. Sell that asset to pay the fine and you don;t just hand over that cast you lose all the income it generates is lost forever – so it becomes a long term wounding of the business.

To try and pay the fine he’s going to be staring at this huge pile of Jenga blocks wondering what he can pull out and not have the whole thing tumble down. And every time he goes to pull a block he thinks is a safe bet someones going to say ‘actually – that ones not yours’.

What would be funny would be for E. Jean Carrol to buy his properties in the fire-sale with the money he’s having to pay here and put her name up in lights instead.

scuttler

Funny as **** 🤣

frankconway

The judgement – under state law – provides a 30 day period to pay or come up with the bond if there is an intended appeal.
    Unless I’ve misunderstood – which is entirely possible – trump is asking for a 30 day extension over and above the 30 days he’s allowed by law.
    If correct, the only appropriate judicial response is…no.

somafunk

“ If correct, the only appropriate judicial response is…no.”

If correct, the only appropriate judicial response is….Jog on, orange boy

willard

Yeah, but phrasing that in lawyer-speak will be a minimum of ¢1000 an hour. “No” is much cheaper.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Unfortunately- decisions have to be justified in reference to the law, statues, case law, precedent etc – so 30 pages of no 🤷‍♂️

uggski

As long as it’s no!

Northwind

Oh my god… I suppose this is perfectly logical in conspiracy theory world but I just saw a reposted twitter chat where someone was claiming that Navalny died from the covid vaccine. The evidence? Well they used the magic words “died suddenly” which as we all know is a special secret expression that the media use to tell us that someone died from the vaccine but the government won’t let them say that.

pk13

Wait until they all get back online AT&T mobile has apparently gone tits up that will start crazy talk of aliens and everything in-between

Klunk
    Free Member
    frankconway

My gran ‘died suddenly’ many years ago – and of ‘unknown causes’.
    That’s doubly suspicious – isn’t it?

grahamt1980

@klunk
    Brandon Rottinghaus

Surely that is a fake name, especially considering the topic

maccruiskeen

the orange shit gibbon winning bigly

So the 45th President turns out to be…. the 45th President

And then the the 45th will be the 46th

And then the the 45th will be the 47th

And then the the 45th will be the 48th

and so on

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And also don’t forget anyone buying any of Trumps ‘assets’ is going to be well aware of how much trouble he’s in so they’re not going to be buying anywhere full retail price. The only exceptions to that might be the Saudis or the Russians paying a good price to help their mate out. And theres someone from the gov running his affairs in NYC now too so thewy'[ll be doing a closing down sale price rather than solid going concerns just to get the money in a hurry.

frankconway

Firesale is the term you’re looking for.
    trump is not known for disposing of assets willingly but now he doesn’t have a negotiating position.
    If the Saudis choose to get involved – and pay anything like market value – that will be as dubious as their
    2 billion support for kushner.
    If there are any asset sales or sale’n’lease back arrangements the media will be all over any information released; if sale’n’lease back, the IRS may be interested in the details.
    Given the recent judgement, I would expect the retired judge who is overseeing trump org affairs and the (yet to be appointed) director of compliance to demand full visibility – and the right of veto.
    In summary, neither trump nor his boys will be able to just do what they want – free of any scrutiny.

maccruiskeen

trump is not known for disposing of assets willingly

Which is why he buried Ivana on one of his golf courses – having family buried on your land prevents it being seized to pay debts. Trump’s going to be eyeing the rest of his relations wondering how quickly he can get any of them into the ground. Now wonder Melania is so illusive.

No expense spared

frankconway

Surely you mean…every expense spared.

Viewing 40 posts - 22,681 through 22,720 (of 23,095 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.